Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
If Perry becomes UFA at the end of the season I really doubt the Ducks can ask Subban, Pacioretty or Galchenyuk. Certainly, a roster player (Eller) a first round pick and a prospect.

That's ridiculous I'm not giving up a first, eller and a prospect for a rental. The ducks can't ask for anything close to that.

Habtchum*

I know about what the TSN insiders have said, but Anaheim is looking real good this season, and they could contend for the cup.

Why wouldn't they keep Perry for the playoffs?

If they win the cup, they will not have lost Perry for nothing even if he opts to leave as a UFA...plus, winning another cup could convince Perry to re-sign in Anaheim.

It's a tough call for a GM to make. If I'm the Ducks GM, I'd rather hold on to Perry for the playoffs unless I'm really wowed by one of the trade offers at the deadline.

I don't want the habs to give any of our young bright assets for a rental.

Oct 22, 2012
I'm not sold on the fact that the ducks would put more value on getting a return for Perry, rather than using him to try and win the cup.

Schultz was unfortunate, but correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get credited because they lost his rights? I'm not sure on that one. Either way you look forward, and forward looks good for the ducks this year.

It's a great hockey story, and that's why TSN talks about it.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I'd give up a lot for Perry at the deadline if we were allowed to talk to his agent before. A guy like him, rarely becomes available. It's time we make a move like that. I really believe that he'd sign here. Close to home, boyhood team, and Brandon MF Prust! :handclap:

Monetary wise, it would be tough for us long term, especially if Perry wants Getzlaf type money. If Perry re-signs here it'll have to be at lower salary than Getzlaf. Otherwise, we might not be able to extend contracts to some important key players we have right now. Being cup contender may or may not help for that. But I think it's pretty safe to say that players will go to teams that weren't their favorite team growing up for a couple millions more. There are going to be plenty of teams with more cap space than us during UFA season.

What's certain is that we'll have to give back good players currently on our roster for Perry. The Ducks are also looking to make a good playoff push. They won't trade Perry just for pick or prospects. Heck, they may not want to trade Perry just because of the playoffs. Because it might help them re-sign him.

As much as I want the guy on our roster. I just don't see it happening at all, or without it being complicated. But I really hope there can be some sort of understanding and it all works out.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
That's ridiculous I'm not giving up a first, eller and a prospect for a rental. The ducks can't ask for anything close to that.

From Wikipedia:

"Hossa was acquired by the Pittsburgh Penguins at the trade deadline on February 26, 2008, along with Pascal Dupuis, in exchange for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito, and the Penguins' first-round pick in 2008 (Daultan Leveille)"

"Kovalchuk was traded on February 4, 2010, to the New Jersey Devils. Atlanta received defenceman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors and junior prospect Patrice Cormier, and a first round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela"

You can bet that it would take Montreal Eller, a top prospect (Beaulieu/Tinordi?) and a 1st to get Perry. Not saying I'd pay it, but that's what it will take.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
As much as I want the guy on our roster. I just don't see it happening at all, or without it being complicated. But I really hope there can be some sort of understanding and it all works out.

It's a matter of time before NHL GMs catch up to their NBA counterparts and start going the sign-and-trade route, especially with the new term limits in the CBA. I'm curious to see who does it first.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
From Wikipedia:

"Hossa was acquired by the Pittsburgh Penguins at the trade deadline on February 26, 2008, along with Pascal Dupuis, in exchange for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito, and the Penguins' first-round pick in 2008 (Daultan Leveille)"

"Kovalchuk was traded on February 4, 2010, to the New Jersey Devils. Atlanta received defenceman Johnny Oduya, rookie forward Niclas Bergfors and junior prospect Patrice Cormier, and a first round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Kovalchuk and defenceman Anssi Salmela"

You can bet that it would take Montreal Eller, a top prospect (Beaulieu/Tinordi?) and a 1st to get Perry. Not saying I'd pay it, but that's what it will take.

More like White, Leblanc and a 1st...

But, yes, Perry as good value even if he's an UFA at the end of the year. Actually, because of the new CBA, UFAs to be have more value on the trade market because of the 8th year...

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Monetary wise, it would be tough for us long term, especially if Perry wants Getzlaf type money. If Perry re-signs here it'll have to be at lower salary than Getzlaf. Otherwise, we might not be able to extend contracts to some important key players we have right now. Being cup contender may or may not help for that. But I think it's pretty safe to say that players will go to teams that weren't their favorite team growing up for a couple millions more. There are going to be plenty of teams with more cap space than us during UFA season.

What's certain is that we'll have to give back good players currently on our roster for Perry. The Ducks are also looking to make a good playoff push. They won't trade Perry just for pick or prospects. Heck, they may not want to trade Perry just because of the playoffs. Because it might help them re-sign him.

I'd pay Perry 8M without thinking twice. He'd be our best player by far. We can maneuver the cap afterwards. Ideally you get him in the offseason for free, but I'd pay for the certainty and to avoid bidding war. First rounder+ no problem from me.
From Wikipedia:

Except for the fact that Eller/Beaulieu are worth more than anything on that list, including the first rounders.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
More like White, Leblanc and a 1st...

But, yes, Perry as good value even if he's an UFA at the end of the year. Actually, because of the new CBA, UFAs to be have more value on the trade market because of the 8th year...

If that's all Anaheim wants, I do that deal and I don't even hesitate...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Eller/Beaulieu/1st for UFA Perry unless we sign him long-term seems too risky , the only way I can justify this trade is with a cup.

Last edited:

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Except for the fact that Eller/Beaulieu are worth more than anything on that list, including the first rounders.

Eller:
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 7 10 17
2011-12 Montreal Canadiens NHL 79 16 12 28
2012-13 Montreal Canadiens NHL 24 3 11 14

Armstrong:
2005-06 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 47 16 24 40
2006-07 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 80 12 22 34
2007-08 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 54 9 15 24

Esposito was also still highly touted.

24stanleycups*

What do you guys think of ryan obyrne as our big crease clearer?

marinaro was talking about him on team690 today....he had a good fight against stuart....stuck up for landeskog.....he`s improved since leaving from what i;ve heard and he is huge.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I'd pay Perry 8M without thinking twice. He'd be our best player by far. We can maneuver the cap afterwards. Ideally you get him in the offseason for free, but I'd pay for the certainty and to avoid bidding war. First rounder+ no problem from me.

Well at that time Esposito wasn't a bad prospect. Cormier had a terrific WJC. You have to look those assets values in their own period of time.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Eller:
2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 7 10 17
2011-12 Montreal Canadiens NHL 79 16 12 28
2012-13 Montreal Canadiens NHL 24 3 11 14

Armstrong:
2005-06 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 47 16 24 40
2006-07 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 80 12 22 34
2007-08 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 54 9 15 24

Esposito was also still highly touted.
Eller and Armstrong are not even close to comparable. Armstrong was older and playing with Sidney Crosby. Eller is on his way to becoming an elite shutdown center who can put up points.

Esposito wasn't that touted at the time either. Eller and Beaulieu both have much more of a pedigree.

Well at that time Esposito wasn't a bad prospect. Cormier had a terrific WJC. You have to look those assets values in their own period of time.

I am. I remember quite clearly thinking, in both cases, that we could've made a similar offer. I'm not saying they were garbage, but not comparable at all to the value of Beaulieu and Eller.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
What do you guys think of ryan obyrne as our big crease clearer?

marinaro was talking about him on team690 today....he had a good fight against stuart....stuck up for landeskog.....he`s improved since leaving from what i;ve heard and he is huge.

Every time I venture to the Avs board, I read countless O'Byrne sucks posts. Such as:

O'Byrne is the worst player on this team and it usually shows in every game.

O'Byrne's awfulness on full display there.

First he could have easily gotten the puck but instead just backs off and reaches and lets the Sharks enter the zone. Then instead of trying to clear the puck, he tries to push the Sharks player and holds the puck against the boards. Finally, he takes a stupid penalty.

Why is he still in the line up?

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Eller and Armstrong are not even close to comparable. Armstrong was older and playing with Sidney Crosby. Eller is on his way to becoming an elite shutdown center who can put up points.

Esposito wasn't that touted at the time either. Eller and Beaulieu both have much more of a pedigree.

I disagree with you. But, I have no problem with that. We all know that if the Ducks decide to trade Perry it will fetchs a lot of assets. Lou Lamoriallo didn't hesitate to give for Kovalchuk. He succeed to re-sign him. He took a gamble. He went to the finals last year. But maybe the Habs aren't already there at the moment yet.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Every time I venture to the Avs board, I read countless O'Byrne sucks posts.

:laugh:

He's a jag. I want a veteran crease clearer/fighter. Not bonehead OB, even though I'm a fan of his.

From the Avs, I really want Stastny. I think he gets my vote for most underrated player around here. He can do it all, and Patches would score 40 with him. Maybe we could get Col to keep some of his salary in a trade too.

24stanleycups*

Eller/Beaulieu/1st for UFA Perry unless we sign him long-term seems too risky , the only way I can justify this trade is with a cup.

I don`t have a problem with that....i dont have a problem with that at all....the more i think about it the more i like it. giving up eller sounds tough with the way he`s playing right now....and beaulieu can obviously move the puck, but why do we need him when we have subban, diaz and markov for the for another 2-4 years yet...we`ll have time to try and replace markov....but the window for him is now. these young guys may or may not turn into a solid d-man but those 2 for perry and a pick is more than fair even if they do both turn out to be studs.....and to be honest the pick to me...is not that much because of the fact we have all those 2nds and 3rds....besides it will be a low one and we have timmins...you know he`s gonna pull out another stud or 2 no matter where our first pick is.

And if he was a hab we`d already have an advantage for re-signing him...1....he was habs fan....2 only toronto and ottawa are closer to his home 3..i feel our future and present is much brighter than both and why wouldn`t u want to continue to be a part of that.....4 he would already be familiar with the team the city the atmosphere.....5 we would be able to offer him that 8th year cause he`d be a hab...6 we have the damn money.....we`re the godman montreal canadiens...lets use that strength

god the more i think about it the more i like it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Are you all ****ing crazy? I'd drive Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st to Anaheim myself on a scooter for Perry, UFA or not. He's a stud, power forward with a nasty streak. He's literally everything everyone on this board has said we need for the past 20 years and you're balking because of Lars Eller? Are you serious?

Will Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st get you the numbers that Perry has, combined and be THE difference maker in the Playoffs? Have or will any of those pieces won the Stanley Cup, Heart or Rocket Richard trophy like Perry has, highly unlikely.

Pay the man what he's worth and he'll stay, especially if we're a winner.

I like Eller but he's no Perry. I doubt Anaheim even thinks this deal is realistic. Talk about over evaluating your own players...

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Are you all ****ing crazy? I'd drive Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st to Anaheim myself on a scooter for Perry, UFA or not. He's a stud, power forward with a nasty streak. He's literally everything everyone on this board has said we need for the past 20 years and you're balking because of Lars Eller? Are you serious?

Will Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st get you the numbers that Perry has, combined and be THE difference maker in the Playoffs? Have or will any of those pieces won the Stanley Cup, Heart or Rocket Richard trophy like Perry has, highly unlikely.

I like Eller but he's no Perry. I doubt Anaheim even thinks this deal is realistic. Talk about over evaluating your own players...

I would not be willing to do this for a rental.

Last edited:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

If he were signed then hell yes I would make that deal. As a UFA though, you are essentially giving up 3 first rounders for a rental. Stupid if you ask me, and I'd personally run over MB with a scooter if he did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad