Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 2 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'd have to see how bad Gaborik is doing to judge properly. Plus like I said I'm not the biggest Gionta fan.

Diaz is great but we've looked solid without him and we have quite a few great puck moving D men.

Our first rounder could be more like a 2nd rounder at this rate.

In my mind we're not giving up anyone truly essential to get a top notch player. While pretty much swapping salaries (I know it's 2 for 1 but still).

Plus it's not like Gaborik's signed for 5 more years.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
You must be kidding, if that package is enough to get Gaborik, which I highly doubt, I'd do it right away.

You guys are funny. Even if Clowe has no goal this season, is playing like **** and extremely undisciplined but apparently a new environment will do him good so he'd be a perfect fit but when it comes to a talented player that can't fight but is a 40 goals+ scorer, he's a prima donna and don't fit this team.

You guys associate talented european players with primadonna, coach killer, not team player, lockeroom cancer when he's not doing well but when good old canadian boy who is slow as ****, doesn't bring anything to the team except taking bad penalties then poor kid, he needs change of scenery.

You would actually give that package for Gabby and Asham? That is how you end up like the Flames. Sather would be doing cartwheels. May as well throw in Tinordi.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
You would actually give that package for Gabby and Asham? That is how you end up like the Flames. Sather would be doing cartwheels. May as well throw in Tinordi.

hahahaha. I guess Gaborik must be really really bad this year. I think this move would put us over the top to be honest.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Yeah um, do you know Plekanec and Jagr have GREAT chemistry together? Why on earth would you split them if Jagr comes here.

Well aware of that, but they played in Kladno- that league is probably nowhere as physical here, and the ring was probably bigger as well so more time to think.
They also played internationally, not really sure about how physical it is at that stage but I'm guessing it depends on which team they played against.

I'm not against putting Plekanec with Jagr, I was hoping we'd sign him to give him a boost after what happened last year- I just want someone who can play physical with them and we both know Gionta can't.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If Carolina falls off the rails, I would like Alex Semin, I don't know what it would take to get him but I just think he would flourish in Montreal. He is also one of the highest plus/minus players in the NHL since 2008, suprising eh? He was the cancer in Washington but last time I checked they were definitely not better without him.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Gaborik seems to go completely against our new team philosophy. Yeah he's super talented, but if the tactics Torts is using aren't working (sure, they're extreme) he will be so hated here. I'm sure the Rangers fans aren't too happy about his lack of effort and/or efficacy. We need guys who will get the goals no matter what. Personally I just like our lineup if you add back our healthy players. Once the playoffs start, it will have a lot more to do with good Offense and GREAT Defense than fighting guys. Our team right now is not intimidated by anyone. They have one goal and that's to win and I like that.

The guy is 3rd on the team in scoring. He's a natural goal scorer. 2 40+ goal seasons in the last 3 seasons on a defensive minded team. He has a year left, I believe....why on earth would you not want a guy like that for a playoff run?

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Explain how giving one 1st pick destroying our future? Moen is useless and easily replaceable, in this case, it would be Asham. Then it would be an aging Gionta, Diaz and a ( probably late) first for Gaborik, it might looks ridiculous in your eyes because Gaborik is having a bad season but he is still legitimate 40 goals scorer.

If Gaborik can come that cheap, you take it and you run.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The guy is 3rd on the team in scoring. He's a natural goal scorer. 2 40+ goal seasons in the last 3 seasons on a defensive minded team. He has a year left, I believe....why on earth would you not want a guy like that for a playoff run?

Because of the price he would cost. It would set the team back more in the future than it would push them towards a championship this season. This draft is not one you go trading picks for beforehand, we've been cultivating a winning future in the past few years, and Hamilton needs some help too.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Explain how giving one 1st pick destroying our future? Moen is useless and easily replaceable, in this case, it would be Asham. Then it would be an aging Gionta, Diaz and a ( probably late) first for Gaborik, it might looks ridiculous in your eyes because Gaborik is having a bad season but he is still legitimate 40 goals scorer.

Glad to see some agree with me. Felt like I was in some bizarre world. Haha.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Because of the price he would cost. It would set the team back more in the future than it would push them towards a championship this season. This draft is not one you go trading picks for beforehand, we've been cultivating a winning future in the past few years, and Hamilton needs some help too.

Helping Habs takes precedences over Helping Hamilton.

We also have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds. I gave up 2 in my trades, we still have 4 more picks including 1 very high 2nd.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site

Exactly. I was thinking I was going to get flamed for not giving up enough.

Dreamingofdrouin mentionned Asham (34) and Gaborik's (31) age but Moen is 30 himself and Gionta is 34 so we are getting older by 1 year ..big deal...and at least i'm pushing the age towards the 4th line and getting younger in my top 6.

Dreamingofdrouin also mentionned how Aasham is 3 inches shorter than Moen but he didn't mention how Gabroik is 6 inches bigger than Gionta.

Diaz is good, I like him a lot but we have Subban, Markov and Beaulieu coming up who have all the same style of play. Diaz is a very good defenseman but we have to give up something to get a perennial 40 goal scorer. This would mean that I am counting on Tinordi to be in my top 6 this year to add size and strength to our defense and our team

Last edited:

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Because Moen is a better player than he's been in these first 30 and he's gonna show us that in the playoffs...and I don't believe it makes sense to replace him with a guy who is 3 inches shorter, 4 years older and has no better production.

Marion Gaborik's cap hit is 7.5 million...he's underproducing and injury prone...gionta has more goals then him this year....and if he can't score with richards and nash....why would he do any better than gionta here...who's we're getting the same production from for 2.5 million less.

But mostly...I would not do this

Diaz...1st rounder....diaz is underrated and whether we eventually deal him or not....your evaluation of him is too low....and the 1st rounder is not being used to bring in 2 guys who are a collective 65 years old..sorry...nope we need youth not more age

Gaborik has 1 less goal than Gionta .... Gaborik has 1 more point than Gonta.

"If he can't do it with Richards and Nash, why would he do it in monteal?" That's a weak argument. Semin couldn't do it with Ovechkin and Backstrom but he's playing very well this year. Look at Gaborik's history ...he had 40 goals just last year, he didn't just suddenly lose all his talent. I can say it's VERY likely that Gionta's production will be more or less the same next year or even worse while with Gaborik, I think everyone would agree that they expect him to put up a lot more points.

The guys I am bringing in are 65 years old but I am getting rid of 64 year old so that's a bad argument.

Yes Asham is 3 inches shorter than Moen but Gabroik is 5 inches bigger than Gionta. Aasham also destroys Moen in the physical aspect of the game.

PricePkPatch*

How do you think Jagr fares in term of leadership? Do you think he would fit well in our team?

I'd think, if he contributes also with intangibles, he probably would be a great fit for our team. Clutch player. I don't think we'd have to break the bank to acquire him, and there is always the potential of re-signing him for next year if he proves to be a great fit.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How do you think Jagr fares in term of leadership? Do you think he would fit well in our team?

I'd think, if he contributes also with intangibles, he probably would be a great fit for our team. Clutch player. I don't think we'd have to break the bank to acquire him, and there is always the potential of re-signing him for next year if he proves to be a great fit.

There is no valid argument to not go after Jagr.

He is an excellent offensive player with size, probably available for cheap, with an expiring contract, and the potential for gamebreaking ability.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Asham is playing terribly this season, there's a reason he's struggling even to get into a Rangers team that is neither good nor physical.

Hasn't won a fight, plays less ice time than Moen, much less defensively responsible, less good offensively, hit less.

Why would we want to swap the two exactly?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If Carolina falls off the rails, I would like Alex Semin, I don't know what it would take to get him but I just think he would flourish in Montreal. He is also one of the highest plus/minus players in the NHL since 2008, suprising eh? He was the cancer in Washington but last time I checked they were definitely not better without him.

Back in the summer, more people on this forum wanted Shane Doan than Alexander Semin, lol.

It'll take me a while to get over that.

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
This was brought up in the Rumors forum but wouldn't mind this deal:

Habs:
Boyle

NYR:
Moen
4th or 5th rounder

Moen hasn't been the same player this year and Boyle is a big centre who wins faceoffs, perfect for our 4th line and is good buddies with Prust of course.

Boyle has 1 yr left at 1.7 mil

Moen has 3 yrs left at 1.85 mil

As well I wouldn't mind picking up Jagr but will cause a log jam in the top 9 unless we trade Bourque, but I have to say I was really impressed with his play and work ethic before he went down with the injury

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
This was brought up in the Rumors forum but wouldn't mind this deal:

Habs:
Boyle

NYR:
Moen
4th or 5th rounder

Moen hasn't been the same player this year and Boyle is a big centre who wins faceoffs, perfect for our 4th line and is good buddies with Prust of course.

Boyle has 1 yr left at 1.7 mil

Moen has 3 yrs left at 1.85 mil

As well I wouldn't mind picking up Jagr but will cause a log jam in the top 9 unless we trade Bourque, but I have to say I was really impressed with his play and work ethic before he went down with the injury

I think the Moen for Boyle trade would work well for both teams. Prust and Boyle were awesome together in NY and it could move White to the wing where he is a lot more effective.

Boyle hardly ever fights and is terrible when he does but he loves to throw his weight around and would bring a lot more energy than Moen does.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I want Jagr.
Bourque+pick...Dallas' 3rd:handclap:

that's a huge overpayment.

I would move jagr for a blah prospect like holland, and a 3rd. Probably wouldn't give more thana 3rd, but not bourque.

he's a great fit here if he continues to play with such fire.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I would like 2 minor trade to help us this year

To Mtl - Jared Boll
to Clb -Travis Moen

To Mtl - Yannick Weber
To Chi - Sheldon Brookbank

Make my Habs more tougher!!!

PricePkPatch*

that's a huge overpayment.

I would move jagr for a blah prospect like holland, and a 3rd. Probably wouldn't give more thana 3rd, but not bourque.

he's a great fit here if he continues to play with such fire.

He is. But you do realise it would free up even further cap space for more UFA this summer?

But you might be right, might not worth it. Still, there's gotta be something we can trade the Stars.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Isn't Jagr also signed for next season?

edit: Awwh no: http://m.capgeek.com/#player?id=1910

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad