Value of: Habs moving down to 4-6

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
There’s a lot of talk of Montreal being interested in Kotkaniemi. I’m not sure if its true,but IF it is what would Ottawa, Arizona or Detroit be willing to offer to move up to 3?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I doubt the Habs would want to see potentially Zadina playing on the wing for Ottawa for years to come.

Arizona they have some interesting pieces and it would be dealing out west.

Doubt Detroit for the same reasons with Ottawa.

At the end of the day I still doubt they trade the pick unless they get blown away with an offer.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There are a few pick value matrxes out there for trading down. AZ at 5OV the cost they would likely consider is a couple of 2018 3rd rounders (they have 3) or possibly 55OV.

That being said that's the likely price required. Not a reflection on what Chayka would be willing to do.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I doubt the Habs would want to see potentially Zadina playing on the wing for Ottawa for years to come.

Arizona they have some interesting pieces and it would be dealing out west.

Doubt Detroit for the same reasons with Ottawa.

At the end of the day I still doubt they trade the pick unless they get blown away with an offer.
Habs biggest need is a #1C, which is why they are rumored to have interest in Kotkaniemi (sp). I doubt Montreal wants to see him land elsewhere.
If I am sitting in the 4-6 spot, I have no interest in sending a big offer for 3rd overall because frankly the Habs are the ones in a difficult position.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Kotkaniemi might be taken 3rd by those teams too. If the Habs see him as the player they want the most, I think it's the best bet to just take him with that pick.

Reactions: go4hockey

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Habs biggest need is a #1C, which is why they are rumored to have interest in Kotkaniemi (sp). I doubt Montreal wants to see him land elsewhere.
If I am sitting in the 4-6 spot, I have no interest in sending a big offer for 3rd overall because frankly the Habs are the ones in a difficult position.

I mean if you're Ottawa I think that makes sense since Zadina is the clear #3 you're happy with the Habs taking the center at 3 and leaving you with Zadina. In you're at 5 or 6 you're not getting Zadina there even if the Habs pass on him so I think if the Habs were anxious to trade down and you wanted Zadina those teams would be anxious to move up to get him, and not just play it as if you're in the position of strength because it's the Habs making the decision that could help Ottawa land Zadina and not you.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't they already have 4 2nds, or have I got my teams mixed up? Don't see them wanting more. I think MTL could take a lower pick, but for it to work they'd probably have to take future (2019 and beyond 1sts). I bet the fans might be OK with it, but don't see management committing to that sort of rebuild.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I mean if you're Ottawa I think that makes sense since Zadina is the clear #3 you're happy with the Habs taking the center at 3 and leaving you with Zadina. In you're at 5 or 6 you're not getting Zadina there even if the Habs pass on him so I think if the Habs were anxious to trade down and you wanted Zadina those teams would be anxious to move up to get him, and not just play it as if you're in the position of strength because it's the Habs making the decision that could help Ottawa land Zadina and not you.
I read a Red Wings rumor that they are high on Kotkaniemi.
Not sure if this was a fan rumor or if a credible source had reported the rumor. Habs would not want to trade down 1-3 spots, only to see another team take the Habs choice.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Might as well just take him at 3. I wouldn't be surprised if he went that high, especially being one of very few skilled centermen ranked toward the top of this draft. After the top 2, it's pretty much anyone's guess what order the rest of the top 10 go in.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If he's the guy you want take him. Trade down to 5 and see him go at 4 and now you don't have your C and you don't have the guy that most thought was the best at 3.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If he's the guy you want take him. Trade down to 5 and see him go at 4 and now you don't have your C and you don't have the guy that most thought was the best at 3.
It would be crazy if that happened and it blew up in MB's face. On other hand, there would still be some terrific players if lets say zadina was taken at 3 and by some chance Kotkaniemi was taken at 4 or 5 (which I doubt). I guess would depend on the add a team like Ottawa, arizona or Detroit is willing to make? If its like a 3rd or less it wouldn't be worth it.

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
Hmm. Last I checked Bergevin has never traded down, but he has traded up. Or are you simply telling us to expect the unexpected, which, by proxy, would thus mean maybe he will maybe he won't lol?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kotkaniemi is a reach at 4-6, and there are others C like Veleno who could well end up better than him. I think that MTL needs to talk to NYR. Would they give up#9, #26, and #28 for #3oa? Probably not, but what if MTL threw in one of their many 2nds? That way, MTL could still pick a potentially elite player at #9, a "raw Player" like Miller/ Noel at #28, and some BPA at #26.

NYR get an elite scorer in Zadina, and a high 2nd isn't far away from a low 1st.

They have less worries about the C position than MTL, I would think, and can afford to go balls out for an elite scorer.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Honestly (and Habs aren’t my team) the only way I trade back if I’m the Habs is if I have a backup plan on selecting (either Hayton or Veleno) that I’m willing to consider at that slot if Kotkaniemi is taken prior. That’s how I view AZ’s pick at 5.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Montreal doesn't want Kotkaniemi at 3 but would take him at 4 ... the Sens can accommodate with the agreement that they won't take him at 3... all it will cost Montreal is a 2nd .. say #38.

Reactions: Neiler

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Kotkaniemi is a reach at 4-6, and there are others C like Veleno who could well end up better than him. I think that MTL needs to talk to NYR. Would they give up#9, #26, and #28 for #3oa? Probably not, but what if MTL threw in one of their many 2nds? That way, MTL could still pick a potentially elite player at #9, a "raw Player" like Miller/ Noel at #28, and some BPA at #26.

NYR get an elite scorer in Zadina, and a high 2nd isn't far away from a low 1st.

They have less worries about the C position than MTL, I would think, and can afford to go balls out for an elite scorer.
I think adding that second makes it a bit more fair. As a Ranger fan would probably still prefer to hold the 9, 26 and 28 vs the 3rd and 35th but very fair proposal. I guess if the Rangers Brass were super high on Zadina or Wahlstrom as can't miss elite scorers than I could see that move benefiting both clubs down the line for sure.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think adding that second makes it a bit more fair. As a Ranger fan would probably still prefer to hold the 9, 26 and 28 vs the 3rd and 35th but very fair proposal. I guess if the Rangers Brass were super high on Zadina or Wahlstrom as can't miss elite scorers than I could see that move benefiting both clubs down the line for sure.
Yup, only works if they are high on Zadina. NYR could use a star scorer...hell, everyone could, but there's nothing like having a star in NY,NY.

#9 is a nice pick, IMO. should still be at least one nice player there, if you're not picky about position.

Reactions: bl02

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There’s a lot of talk of Montreal being interested in Kotkaniemi. I’m not sure if its true,but IF it is what would Ottawa, Arizona or Detroit be willing to offer to move up to 3?

If you want Kotaniemi you take him at #3. This draft is very thin in highly regarded center prospects, and draft rankings are all over the board once you hit pick 3+. It wouldn't shock me in the least to see a team "reach" for Kotaniemi earlier then the consensus lists currently project.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

Needing a #1 center and Kotkaniemi being a #1 center are two completely different things. IMO, Zadina is more likely to be a 40g scoring winger at the NHL level than Kotkaniemi is a #1 center.

2018 is the year to pick the bpa. 2019, with a long list of very skilled centers projected for the first round, is the year to target the center.

Reactions: JayF and Runner77

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If the Habs want Kotkaniemi they may as well just take him at 3. If teams really believe he's being undervalued ike Kopitar was in his draft it's not worth the risk trading down and missing him entirely.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Needing a #1 center and Kotkaniemi being a #1 center are two completely different things. IMO, Zadina is more likely to be a 40g scoring winger at the NHL level than Kotkaniemi is a #1 center.

2018 is the year to pick the bpa. 2019, with a long list of very skilled centers projected for the first round, is the year to target the center.

This completely encapsulates the reality of the situation. Problem is when you have an idiot GM like Bergevin, he'll overthink it and have Zadina drop on Ottawa's lap. I hope the Sens teach him a lesson, one of many he's never learned from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad