HF Habs: Habs Main Camp - Roster & Preseason Schedule in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well, if we do end up sucking for whatever reason this season (injuries, Stanley Cup Final hangover, just not a very good team, etc.), I hope we suck HARD so that we can be in the bottom 10 and keep our higher first round pick.

Reactions: MeanMugging91

Jul 6, 2016
Peohls isn't a 4th line player especially with those wingers. If he can stay healthy I expect a breakout year for him. I would like to see him heat up in the A before coming up mid december to play spot duty with evans/whoever else we have at 3C

Forecast : Poehling gonna be traded soon (like many Habs former first rounders).

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Forecast : Poehling gonna be traded soon (like many Habs former first rounders).
Drouin should be the player out. I don't see how Poehling can be any worse than Paquette. I also don't understand the love affair with Belzille, looks like the next Blunden.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryan1966

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well, if we do end up sucking for whatever reason this season (injuries, Stanley Cup Final hangover, just not a very good team, etc.), I hope we suck HARD so that we can be in the bottom 10 and keep our higher first round pick.
It's actually a much more improved team. Danault did nothing all year and suddenly woke up against the Laughs. Tatar was the leading scorer but constantly getting penalties. I do believe that Perry was the true leader of the locker room and his loss is felt. Dvorak is a much more complete player than KK.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's actually a much more improved team. Danault did nothing all year and suddenly woke up against the Laughs. Tatar was the leading scorer but constantly getting penalties. I do believe that Perry was the true leader of the locker room and his loss is felt. Dvorak is a much more complete player than KK.

Your math is wrong, Dvorak replaces Danault and Evans replaces KK.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Danault did nothing all year…except centered a line that outchanced and outscored opposition’s top lines (including 8 games of Matthews, McDavid, Scheifele) by 1.5 to 1.

amongst other stats:

5v5
on-ice goals 32-22
High danger chances 131-90

No, Danault didn’t “do nothing” like you said. Will we have a line able to handle all those d-zone starts against top lines? This is the biggest question mark for this season.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Danault did nothing all year…except centered a line that outchanced and outscored opposition’s top lines (including 8 games of Matthews, McDavid, Scheifele) by 1.5 to 1.

amongst other stats:

5v5
on-ice goals 32-22
High danger chances 131-90

No, Danault didn’t “do nothing” like you said. Will we have a line able to handle all those d-zone starts against top lines? This is the biggest question mark for this season.
That was in the playoffs, not during the season.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
He can replace 2019-2021 KK
We are talking about 2 players with different styles of play. KK has yet to reach his peak and was rushed. Evans took a long time to develop and likely reached his peak as a bottom 9 player, the way MB likes them as they come. Not really a success story, but you know you got to find a positive somewhere. Not saying that Evans is bad but he is nothing more than an energy player for the bottom 6.

Reactions: Vachon23

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We are talking about 2 players with different styles of play. KK has yet to reach his peak and was rushed. Evans took a long time to develop, he likely reached his peak as a bottom 9 player, the way MB likes them as they come. Not saying that Evans is bad but he is nothing more than an energy player for the bottom 6.

What's important is can he replace the contribution KK had last season. Future potential is irrelevant when discussing how a team will do this year.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
What's important is can he replace the contribution KK had last season. Future potential is irrelevant when discussing how a team will do this year.
I don't think Evan's main role is to score. His main tasks will be to effectively shutdown the opponents' top lines. A goal or two wouldn't hurt though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think Evan's main role is to score. His main tasks will be to effectively shutdown the opponents' top lines. A goal or two wouldn't hurt though.

In the regular season, KK's role was not to score either, as he had 11 goals in 92 games in the last two years.

In the POs, sure he did score more than Evans probably ever will.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
In the regular season, KK's role was not to score either, as he had 11 goals in 92 games in the last two years.

In the POs, sure he did score more than Evans probably ever will.
Actually, KK was bumped down to his shutdown 3C duties because he couldn't score. I'm sure management was scratching their heads on how to make KK more productive. Unfortunately, it didn't workout.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Does it really matter? Dvorak is a better player than Danault, you can't argue with that.

Better? Marginally. What Dvorak has more on offense, Danault has on defense.

Tatar is better at ES, while Hoffman on the PP.

These are marginal gains, at best.

Rookie Caufield, sure, but the gaping hole left by Weber's injury makes this a far worst team than the one we've seen in the playoffs and Caufield was there.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Evans is likely going to play w Armia & Gallagher - they will be expected to replace Danault lines 200-ft game from last few seasons.

So yes , Evans will be expected to produce at a stepped up rate offensively vs last season

Time will tell if he can...

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Evans is likely going to play w Armia & Gallagher - they will be expected to replace Danault lines 200-ft game from last few seasons.

So yes , Evans will be expected to produce at a stepped up rate offensively vs last season

Time will tell if he can...
Armia is not an offensive threat and Gallagher needs to play top minutes to pot 30 goals again. I doubt Evans is a playmaker. Gallagher will be playing a role that is more suited for him. Caufield, Anderson, Hoffman (when he comes back) and Toffoli are the offensive threats this year. Dvorak and Suzuki are expected to go above expectations.

For now, Drouin will be given anorher shot to prove his worth until Hoffman comes back. And if he does, I expect the Habs to deal him for some help at the backend, a pucking moving LD is a necessary upgrade over Chiarot, Romanov, Edmundson and Kulak. Ironically, the Habs traded their top puck moving LD prospect for this enigmatic french speaking winger.

Armia Evans Gallagher

That's an energy shutdown line that can score when your top lines can't deliver some nights. Armia might also find it hard playing on the left, given that he shoots right. That Gallagher contract will likely hurt the Habs down the road, because the player's role has changed. He's now an expensive third liner with a history of injuries. If Caufield and Anderson have terrible years, Gallagher becomes an interesting alternative to slot back on the first lines.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia is not an offensive threat and Gallagher needs to play top minutes to pot 30 goals again. I doubt Evans is a playmaker. Gallagher will be playing a role that is more suited for him. Caufield, Anderson, Hoffman (when he comes back) and Toffoli are the offensive threats this year. Dvorak and Suzuki are expected to go above expectations.

For now, Drouin will be given anorher shot to prove his worth until Hoffman comes back. And if he does, I expect the Habs to deal him for some help at the backend, a pucking move LD is a necessary upgrade over Chiarot, Romanov, Edmundson and Kulak. Ironically, the Habs traded their top puck moving LD prospect for this enigmatic french speaking winger.

Armia Evans Gallagher

That's an energy shutdown line that can score when your top lines can't deliver some nights. Armia might also find it hard playing on the left, given that he shoots right.

Will be interesting to see where Hoffman plays. If we're ever fully healthy, I expect one of Drouin, Anderson, or Armia to be bumped back to the 4th line, depending on who's having the least impact of the three in the top 9.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

For now, Drouin will be given anorher shot to prove his worth until Hoffman comes back. And if he does, I expect the Habs to deal him for some help at the backend, a pucking moving LD is a necessary upgrade over Chiarot, Romanov, Edmundson and Kulak. Ironically, the Habs traded their top puck moving LD prospect for this enigmatic french speaking winger.

Armia Evans Gallagher

That's an energy shutdown line that can score when your top lines can't deliver some nights. Armia might also find it hard playing on the left, given that he shoots right. That Gallagher contract will likely hurt the Habs down the road, because the player's role has changed. He's now an expensive third liner with a history of injuries. If Caufield and Anderson have terrible years, Gallagher becomes an interesting alternative to slot back on the first lines.
Habs have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, top-3 lines will avg approximately same TOI based on the depth strategy being implemented, which is why Evans line will be counted on to provide offense along w defensive play.

Just as Dom Dom said he expects all 3 D-pairings to play against all opposition 5-on-5, as in he’ll peanut butter the TOI evenly, the same applies to the forward lines w the only exception being the 4th line which will be expected to contribute 12-14TOI.

It’ll be a carbon copy carryover approach from last playoffs - whether present roster construction can support such an approach over an 82-game season remains to be seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad