HF Habs: Habs Main Camp - Roster & Preseason Schedule in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Will be interesting to see where Hoffman plays. If we're ever fully healthy, I expect one of Drouin, Anderson, or Armia to be bumped back to the 4th line, depending on who's having the least impact of the three in the top 9.
I think Hoffman will play 4th line RW w Lekhonen + the mysterious C (Armia moving to LW w Evans + Gallagher)

Hoffman will make up his TOI on the PP

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Danault did nothing all year…except centered a line that outchanced and outscored opposition’s top lines (including 8 games of Matthews, McDavid, Scheifele) by 1.5 to 1.

amongst other stats:

5v5
on-ice goals 32-22
High danger chances 131-90

No, Danault didn’t “do nothing” like you said. Will we have a line able to handle all those d-zone starts against top lines? This is the biggest question mark for this season.
It's so disingenuous to say that "it's so easy to replace Danault" considering Poehling looks nowhere close to ready despite many thinking he could be better than Danault this season and Evans is a 4C. Danault on the 3C right now would look great.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The coach and the GM have said, Evans replaces Danault...
KK's role goes to Dvorak.....makes sense....
No matter how we slice it, they roll 4 lines...
Exactly - it’s a completely new strategy for this org, which has always followed traditional top-6, shutdown 3rd line + energy 4th line approach ...quite refreshing actually.

Let’s see if they can stick to it & pull it off over an entire season

Jul 6, 2016
I think Hoffman will play 4th line RW w Lekhonen + the mysterious C (Armia moving to LW w Evans + Gallagher)

Hoffman will make up his TOI on the PP

I strongly doubt they will put a 30 goal scorer earning 4,5 M $ per season on a 4th line. They acquired him to play on the 2nd or 3rd at worst, not knowing how Drouin's situation would be.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Habs have no 1st, 2nd or 3rd line, top-3 lines will avg approximately same TOI based on the depth strategy being implemented, which is why Evans line will be counted on to provide offense along w defensive play.

Just as Dom Dom said he expects all 3 D-pairings to play against all opposition 5-on-5, as in he’ll peanut butter the TOI evenly, the same applies to the forward lines w the only exception being the 4th line which will be expected to contribute 12-14TOI.

It’ll be a carbon copy carryover approach from last playoffs - whether present roster construction can support such an approach over an 82-game season remains to be seen
That mentality will not be sustainable for 82 games. Julien tried and had to change strategy mid-year. They fired Julien and Dom Dom is following in his footsteps.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
It's so disingenuous to say that "it's so easy to replace Danault" considering Poehling looks nowhere close to ready despite many thinking he could be better than Danault this season and Evans is a 4C. Danault on the 3C right now would look great.

To me signing Danault instead of Hoffman would have been perfect, with Dvo instead of KK…center line would be a force instead of a weakness.

In the end Danault didn’t want to sign in Montreal so can’t blame MB

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Exactly - it’s a completely new strategy for this org, which has always followed traditional top-6, shutdown 3rd line + energy 4th line approach ...quite refreshing actually.

Let’s see if they can stick to it & pull it off over an entire season

mmm our shutdown line featured the 4th 5v5 goal scorer by minute played (Gallagher)

Toffoli 11th
Anderson 15th

The offense was really split on 3 lines and even the 4th played a lot of minutes.

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
We got a bunch of injuries, but at least we're not playing strong teams in the month of October.

We have 10 games this month:
1 vs leafs
1 vs carolina

1 vs rangers
1 vs La
1 vs Seattle
1 vs Detroit
1 vs Ducks
2 vs San Jose
1 vs buffalo

The leafs and Carolina game are the only ones that should be hard to win. Maybe the rangers one as well.

4-6

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
We got a bunch of injuries, but at least we're not playing strong teams in the month of October.

1 vs leafs
1 vs carolina

1 vs rangers
1 vs La
1 vs Seattle
1 vs Detroit
1 vs Ducks
2 vs San Jose
1 vs buffalo

The leafs and Carolina game are the only ones that should be hard to win. Maybe the rangers one as well.

Don't underestimate the road games in LA and SJ. Always tough for us and both are looking to be better than last year.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
People were suggesting he replace Danault 3 years ago. I don’t value their opinion much.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Armia is not an offensive threat and Gallagher needs to play top minutes to pot 30 goals again. I doubt Evans is a playmaker. Gallagher will be playing a role that is more suited for him. Caufield, Anderson, Hoffman (when he comes back) and Toffoli are the offensive threats this year. Dvorak and Suzuki are expected to go above expectations.

For now, Drouin will be given anorher shot to prove his worth until Hoffman comes back. And if he does, I expect the Habs to deal him for some help at the backend, a pucking moving LD is a necessary upgrade over Chiarot, Romanov, Edmundson and Kulak. Ironically, the Habs traded their top puck moving LD prospect for this enigmatic french speaking winger.

Armia Evans Gallagher

That's an energy shutdown line that can score when your top lines can't deliver some nights. Armia might also find it hard playing on the left, given that he shoots right. That Gallagher contract will likely hurt the Habs down the road, because the player's role has changed. He's now an expensive third liner with a history of injuries. If Caufield and Anderson have terrible years, Gallagher becomes an interesting alternative to slot back on the first lines.

Are we talking about the same Gallagher? The 2nd best 5v5 goal scorer in the NHL per minutes played in the last 3 seasons?

Gallagher will be out on the 3rd for the sole reason that he has produce with almost any linemates in his career. Not because he’s an inferior goal scorer (at even strength)

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Are we talking about the same Gallagher? The 2nd best 5v5 goal scorer in the NHL per minutes played in the last 3 seasons?

Gallagher will be out on the 3rd for the sole reason that he has produce with almost any linemates in his career. Not because he’s an inferior goal scorer (at even strength)

I don't see him going back to being a 30 goal scorer with Armia and Evans as his linemates. Gallagher nets what we call garbage goals, that is being a nuissance to the opposing netminder. His play has probably been impacted by injuries. He got a substansial raise for his great services rendered to the team on a cheap deal and for being a leader. He has been given a new role, and that is being an energy player, which he always was. The lack of quality wingers made him a top commodity.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

1 vs leafs
1 vs carolina

1 vs rangers
1 vs La
1 vs Seattle
1 vs Detroit
1 vs Ducks
2 vs San Jose
1 vs buffalo

I think we can manage to get at least half the points, which would be a very good results in those circumstances.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

1 vs leafs
1 vs carolina

1 vs rangers
1 vs La
1 vs Seattle
1 vs Detroit
1 vs Ducks
2 vs San Jose
1 vs buffalo

The most important factor with me in those games is how our team D looks (win or loose). If our team D is horrible and we continue to struggle to hold leads, we are in trouble. But lets say we loose 6 and win 4 but our GAA is 2.5? I would take value from that cause confidence can be build from that. If our GAA is above 3, we are in for a long season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad