HF Habs: Habs Main Camp - Director's General Cuts edition

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019

Of course he would want that. He’s an agent, so it would benefit his pockets but would ruin the entire game again. Finally we have parity and you wanna go back to watching Detroit against Colorado every single year again? The MLB is an absolute joke and needs a hard cap and the NBA is comical how out of control the salaries are, not to mention that the players just whine and team up on the same 4 teams every year. Leave the game as it is Walsh.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I cannot agree with that. Trading Armia or Anderson should never come into play. We should avoid going back to the Smurf days. You said it yourself praising the work of Armia-Perry-Staal in the playoffs. It showed how much big bodies can still be useful in this league. These two in particular Armia and Powerhorse were total beasts.
Trading Anderson is a necessity once Caufield's ELC runs out. We cannot possibly be investing so much in RWs and hope to assemble a balanced roster, especially on defence.

It's also about risk management. If we are not going to reduce the amount of potentially toxic contacts in the next couple of years, we may found ourselves in a situation where we can't surround Suzuki/Caufield with talent required to compete.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Trading Anderson is a necessity once Caufield's ELC runs out. We cannot possibly be investing so much in RWs and hope to assemble a balanced roster, especially on defence.

It's also about risk management. If we are not going to reduce the amount of potentially toxic contacts in the next couple of years, we may found ourselves in a situation where we can't surround Suzuki/Caufield with talent required to compete.
Drouin's money will be gone....yes he is on the left side, but it makes it more manageable......Anderson being one of the few power forwards we have, who hits everything in site, not sure I would want him gone....
I think we could make other adjustments....

Reactions: Kimota and Vachon23

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Doesn’t mean he is wrong. The NHL is trending towards a really expensive junior league with all the vets being priced out. Teams are getting very top heavy locking in young skill players long term. I have to agree with Walsh on this one.
And this is why i said overpaid contracts like kk at 6.1 will mean a vet or two will be out of a job.

Last edited:
Reactions: CartographerNo611

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Of course he would want that. He’s an agent, so it would benefit his pockets but would ruin the entire game again. Finally we have parity and you wanna go back to watching Detroit against Colorado every single year again? The MLB is an absolute joke and needs a hard cap and the NBA is comical how out of control the salaries are, not to mention that the players just whine and team up on the same 4 teams every year. Leave the game as it is Walsh.
Walsh needs to disappear.....man what a jerk this guy is......the guy gives all agents a bad rep....

Reactions: Cypruss

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I just noticed that Habs didn't place Weber or Byron on LTIR. Mainly because Price is off the books temporarily while he's away. So once Price gets back, they can then place Weber and Byron on LTIR for cap relief.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I just noticed that Habs didn't place Weber or Byron on LTIR. Mainly because Price is off the books temporarily while he's away. So once Price gets back, they can then place Weber and Byron on LTIR for cap relief.
Saves about a million in the short term. My question- why couldn't they LTIR all 3?

Reactions: 26Mats

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Toffoli will be entering last year of his deal at age 31 , then there’s Hoffman who has no trade protection on his deal, w 2-years left @ age 33

Other options exist

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Saves about a million in the short term. My question- why couldn't they LTIR all 3?
Separate LTIRs and calculations associated with them:

Price was placed on roster deadline LTIR, which opened up $1M of use it or lose it cushion, hence, the Brooks waiver claim

Weber & Byron will be placed on “regular season” LTIR in the coming days.

This is so there’s enough cap space to absorb Price & Byron’s return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Drouin's money will be gone....yes he is on the left side, but it makes it more manageable......Anderson being one of the few power forwards we have, who hits everything in site, not sure I would want him gone....
I think we could make other adjustments....
Drouin's money is going to be eaten by Caufield.

Unless our D prospects are going to be ready not only to replace Chiarot, but actually be better, we won't have the money to improve there.

That's assuming Evans is going to be a good #3C for $1,7M, which is far from certain. If he isn't, that's another area that will require some investment.

Reactions: BLONG7

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Can't hate your post enough, it's bad for the game that the teams with the best tax situation continually use it to their advantage while northern teams are responsible for all revenue

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can't hate your post enough, it's bad for the game that the teams with the best tax situation continually use it to their advantage while northern teams are responsible for all revenue

So instead of a tax advantage, you want a revenue advantage? This just moves the problem and probably makes it worse.

Of course, as a Habs fan it looks nice because we have money, but that's only thinking about the team and not the league.

Reactions: malcb33

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Toffoli will be entering last year of his deal at age 31 , then there’s Hoffman who has no trade protection on his deal, w 2-years left @ age 33

Other options exist
To keep the roster more or less intact, sure. Not to improve it, unless young players on ELCs and cheap deals skyrocket into key roles.

expy

Nov 2, 2010

Sad that the first wave has one guy who can't really dish the puck well and has trouble receiving too (Gallagher) effectively turning it into a 4 on 4 with a short guy standing in front of the net thinking he's screening the goalie.

His bread and butter is messy scrums in front of the net, but we seldom get pucks to the net on our PPs anyway. And when we do, it's usually frozen right away.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Easy there big guy, we all have opinions....absolutely, we need real game action...I am in the camp that is hopeful for him to turn it around....not sure it will happen...but still hopeful.

I used to be easy,just ask around;) Of course,you have every right to express your opinion and not trying to engage in a tennis match,just thought you might have been a tad harsh. Very small sample size and yes,more or less meaningless but the small glimpse of some of the players,already mentioned by some,showed some promise,yet some showed practically nothing.
The roster that is comprised is what the Habs have and just hope they play to their best potential,regardless of whom is iced.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I used to be easy,just ask around;) Of course,you have every right to express your opinion and not trying to engage in a tennis match,just thought you might have been a tad harsh. Very small sample size and yes,more or less meaningless but the small glimpse of some of the players,already mentioned by some,showed some promise,yet some showed practically nothing.
The roster that is comprised is what the Habs have and just hope they play to their best potential,regardless of whom is iced.
I watched very little preseason, but when I did, out side of our PP, Drouin was not good.....picked up a couple of assists, and still kinda scared to go to the net.....curious what you saw that said you thought he was good?

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki time soon.
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I watched very little preseason, but when I did, out side of our PP, Drouin was not good.....picked up a couple of assists, and still kinda scared to go to the net.....curious what you saw that said you thought he was good?

I did not see much either,and JD did not play much,but it was more about being a bit more engaged. The line he was on,did some good things when they tried. It was more about how you said NO ONE looked good.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sad that the first wave has one guy who can't really dish the puck well and has trouble receiving too (Gallagher) effectively turning it into a 4 on 4 with a short guy standing in front of the net thinking he's screening the goalie.

His bread and butter is messy scrums in front of the net, but we seldom get pucks to the net on our PPs anyway. And when we do, it's usually frozen right away.

Switch Armia with Gally and Dvorak with Toffoli.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia
Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Petry

Gallagher
Drouin - Dvorak - Anderson
Wide

Gally is only in front of the net, he doesn't need to dish. But as you said he's too short to be the best at screening the goalie.

I'd have Dvorak on the 1st unit in front of the net - and on it to win draws. In preseason he came as advertised by Rick Tocchet - good at scoring greasy goals...

I'd have Gally battle with Armia, Anderson, and Evans for the last 2 spots on the 2nd unit:

Dvorak
Caufiedl-Toffoli-Suzuki
Petry

[Anderson/Armia/Gallagher/Evans/Perreault/Brooks]
Drouin-[Anderson/Armia/Gallagher/Evans/Perreault/Brooks]-Hoffman
[Wideman/Romanov]

Evans should be in Hoffman's spot until Hoffman comes back, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad