HF Habs: Habs Main Camp - Director's General Cuts edition

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I would assume Perreault starts. Note, even if Armia were to be on the 4th line, which he won't on Wednesday, Armia and Perreault apparently played well together in the past.

When Hoffman gets back, Armia will be back on that 4th line anyway. No way we play Hoffman on the 4th.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When Hoffman gets back, Armia will be back on that 4th line anyway. No way we play Hoffman on the 4th.

Not sure about Armia being on the 4th line. No way Hoffman will be (at least I hope not). But Drouin and Anderson have proven in the past they can play like 4th line material. So, Armia may be beating one or both of them out for a spot in the top 9 by the time Hoffman is back.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Not sure about Armia being on the 4th line. No way Hoffman will be (at least I hope not). But Drouin and Anderson have proven in the past they can play like 4th line material. So, Armia may be beating one or both of them out for a spot in the top 9 by the time Hoffman is back.

Armia - Staal - Perry was one of the best 4th lines we've had in years

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

Also, what happens when Byron returns?? Who does he knock out and who gets waived (We'll have too many roster players)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia - Staal - Perry was one of the best 4th lines we've had in years

I know! I really wanted Perry back, to be reunited with Armia, and then try to find someone other than Staal.

But now that Perry's gone, we have to reinvent that 4th line. Perhaps Perreault-Brooks-Armia works. But where does that leave Lehkonen?

Reactions: Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I know! I really wanted Perry back, to be reunited with Armia, and then try to find someone other than Staal.

But now that Perry's gone, we have to reinvent that 4th line. Perhaps Perreault-Brooks-Armia works. But where does that leave Lehkonen?

Yeah, same, I wanted Perry back too. Sucks he left. We have too many forwards when healthy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, same, I wanted Perry back too. Sucks he left. We have too many forwards when healthy.

Ideal scenario is all 3 of Drouin, Anderson, and Armia are playing well, plus the rest of our top 9 wingers, and we're able to trade one for a top 4 dman... At least that's the pipe dream.

Reactions: Habs13

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Ideal scenario is all 3 of Drouin, Anderson, and Armia are playing well, plus the rest of our top 9 wingers, and we're able to trade one for a top 4 dman... At least that's the pipe dream.
Anderson is untradeable for now. Too much term on that contract. Trading Anderson likely gets you another long term contract. Armia won't fetch much and he provides grit just like Anderson. JD is the odd man out.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

When Hoffman comes back, Perreault becomes an extra. My feeling is that the Habs hope for JD to turn things around, so a trade is possible.

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes we have an abundance of wingers. We really didn't need to sign perrault and paqette who are finished. It seems they were signed cause bergy
didn't want to get caught without some french guys again. I 'm a quebecer so it's not a dig against french guys but they gotta make sense. Bergy's
always been like that. He needs a left defenseman, he gets one. Doesn't matter if he can play or not just a left defensman. Needs a centre..
any old center will do. He needed french guys so he went and got some, job done.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There's nothing wrong with your lines, but if it were me I'd go Armia on 3LW. Nothing wrong with your proposed 3rd line though. It's a good line. But I think Perreault will play over Poehling. Local guy who was excited to sign here, I'd definitely be playing him on opening night because I think he will be playing with everything he's got.

Yeah, Perreault will probably play. Wouldn't mind seeing Armia with another big guy on his line thus Poehling. Could use a 4th line forechecking, grinding line if nothing else.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
No bias on Walsh at all lol. This guy is a clown shoe and should stay off of social media

Doesn’t mean he is wrong. The NHL is trending towards a really expensive junior league with all the vets being priced out. Teams are getting very top heavy locking in young skill players long term. I have to agree with Walsh on this one.

Reactions: amethyst

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No way they play Hoffman, who isn't a very good skater, on a defensive assignment (re: 4th line). He'll play with Evans/Brooks and Gallagher.

This doesn't make one iota of sense.

First of all, Hoffman is a good skater and the Evans line will be primarily a defensive line. The 4th line is usually an energy line or mismatch line....it is almost never a shutdown line as these players are the least used.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No way they play Hoffman, who isn't a very good skater, on a defensive assignment (re: 4th line). He'll play with Evans/Brooks and Gallagher.

Hoffman is probably the best skating forward on the Habs after Anderson.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Doesn’t mean he is wrong. The NHL is trending towards a really expensive junior league with all the vets being priced out. Teams are getting very top heavy locking in young skill players long term. I have to agree with Walsh on this one.

That doesn't make any sense at all. The younger stars are deservedly being paid more than the older declining vets. Why should the owners care how an equal share of the pie is being divided among the players. Walsh is an ignoramus and is simply pushing his greedy little bias into the court of public opinion where he can influence the simpletons who mine obtain their "research" from algorithms that are tuned to their own predispositions.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Why do they keep 15 forwards and only 6 DMen ? Could we see a trade in the next few hours to get a d man ?
Not likely. There is some cap voodoo going on concerning the use of LTIR. I couldn't be bothered to dive into it, but it was described by Basu for example. 15 forwards is basically a way to maximize the LTIR cushion. I think Niku is close to returning.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrandBison

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

I cannot agree with that. Trading Armia or Anderson should never come into play. We should avoid going back to the Smurf days. You said it yourself praising the work of Armia-Perry-Staal in the playoffs. It showed how much big bodies can still be useful in this league. These two in particular Armia and Powerhorse were total beasts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deebs and dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad