Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Sens again. Outscored 10 to 4 over 2 games.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Belzile and Ylonen back to AHL... is that a money move or we are anticipating some returns in a week.
There are some injuries meant to come back in a week (Drouin/Armia I believe).

Pitlick, Barron and RHP had to stay up to comply with the low roster size limit until players are actually cleared from injuries.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Belzile and Ylonen back to AHL... is that a money move or we are anticipating some returns in a week.

Answer is both. We have 6 guys on IR and that does not save cap space. Why? Cause they still count against the cap but not the roster size but you got to replace them with Belzile and Ylonen cap hits.

I'm not sure on our ability to be the 3rd wheel at this trade deadline in terms of taking on salary and getting a future to do it. Our projected cap is $0. All we can do is offer retention on the ones we have to trade but we will see if anymore guys get moved to LTIR.

Does the formula change if we have guys on LTIR that are larger than Price's cap hit? Possible but we would only have a month to accumulate prorated space before the deadline.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Allen isn't any better than what Edmonton currently have,

If you think Allen is going to put them over the top, you are delusional,

Edmonton have been wasting their time with average goalies for years, they don't want another one,

Quantity doesn't equal quality, only one goalie can play at a time, Lol

Edmonton GM knows better, and so should you

I've seen Campbell play. For a long stretch this year, Allen was better. Also who cares if he would put them over the top, the important is that we can pass him to them. lol

george3322

Feb 1, 2023
I've seen Campbell play. For a long stretch this year, Allen was better. Also who cares if he would put them over the top, the important is that we can pass him to them. lol

Jack Campbell is not Edmonton's best goalie, I suggest you look at the stats

Allen is .891 sv% and 3.58 gaa

Go compare that to Edmonton's goalies, it's no better than either of them

There are not many teams out there who would want to aquire a goalie with a .891 sv% and that includes Edmonton

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Jack Campbell is not Edmonton's best goalie, I suggest you look at the stats

Allen is .891 sv% and 3.58 gaa

Go compare that to Edmonton's goalies, it's no better than either of them

There are not many teams out there who would want to aquire a goalie with a .891 sv%
Completely irrelevent. Oilers goalies might have even worse stats if they played for the Habs.

Reactions: Kimota

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I don't think it matters. I have seen none playoff performer suddenly getting out of their shell and finally doing some good. As a team you want all the weapons you can get. A team like the Oilers for example for the life of them cannot go far in the playoffs cause they don't have stellar goal tending. I would have taken Allen straight up if I were them. But now he's in a difficult stretch and his value has taken a hit. But for a long stretch this year both he and Mont were literally keeping the Habs alive. Hopefully Allen can get his game back so he can be traded.
You think they will waste assets to go from Campbell to Allen?? :huh:

Jul 6, 2016
Why would we trade Allen anyway he's the perfect tank commander.
MSL loves him because Allen is following the "plan". Monty is too hard headed to understand that and wants to carve himself a career at NHL level.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Well they are kind of stuck aren't they because of the Campbell contract. But we never know. If they go in the playoffs with their current goal tending, they are fked.

Why would we trade Allen anyway he's the perfect tank commander.

I would wait till he gets better, trade him. Then call up Primeau and give Primeau a lot of games. lol

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Hopoelly one of the latter 3.

Yes, he was. I read the Athletic article about what-if the Habs took Brady Tkachuk. In the end, it still worked out the best for us.. since if we keep Tkachuk, we likely re-sign Danault, and we likely stay mediocre and keep Bergevin around.

It's actually crazy they didn't take Brady. NHL ready, size, some skill, bite to his game. It's everything Bergevin fawned over and then he just rushed a project center.

So glad that regime is gone but so sad it took 10 years to do it and it cost us a cup with Subban, Price, Markov.
There is irony in how the one time Habs have the perfect opportunity to draft a Bergevin type player and he passes up on it for a player who later burns him by taking an offsheet and supposedly ghosting Bergevin afterwards.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The thing about Jack Campbell so far is that when the chips are down, he generally doesn't lose you games. I mean, those series against Montreal, and tampa, I can't say he was the reason why the leafs didn't advance.

Sure, the opening goal in game 7 against Montreal was bad, but to be honest, the Leafs as a team looked defeated before that game even began.

The problem with Edmonton, even if Campbell provides the same "won't lose you games" kind of goaltending, it's still not good enough for the heavily flawed team that they are.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The thing about Jack Campbell so far is that when the chips are down, he generally doesn't lose you games. I mean, those series against Montreal, and tampa, I can't say he was the reason why the leafs didn't advance.

Sure, the opening goal in game 7 against Montreal was bad, but to be honest, the Leafs as a team looked defeated before that game even began.

The problem with Edmonton, even if Campbell provides with the same "won't lose you games" kind of goaltending, it's still not good enough for the heavily flawed team that they are.

Jack Campbell's overtime record is horrendous.. like well below .900 goaltending bad in overtime and he's never won a play-off overtime.

He definitely lost them games and it isn't just about glaringly bad goals like the Gallagher one. Just his complete inability to make the save they need, when they need it.

He cries in front of the cameras all the time, too. He's not stable at all in there.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Skinner is also better than Allen.

Also, as a personal decision i have my doubts management would trade Allen not long after his wife gave birth. Keep in my i dont know if they reside in MTL so maybe its irrelevant

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Jack Campbell's overtime record is horrendous.. like well below .900 goaltending bad in overtime and he's never won a play-off overtime.

He definitely lost them games and it isn't just about glaringly bad goals like the Gallagher one. Just his complete inability to make the save they need, when they need it.

He cries in front of the cameras all the time, too. He's not stable at all in there.

I'll agree that his mental side is questionable, but I just can't honestly say to myself that he's the reason those teams didn't advance through.

Sure, that also means he likely won't steal you big games... And I guess most teams need that sometimes, but I think it would be a scapegoat situation to hang him for the past failures.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Skinner is also better than Allen.

Also, as a personal decision i have my doubts management would trade Allen not long after his wife gave birth. Keep in my i dont know if they reside in MTL so maybe its irrelevant

Allen moves in the summer.

Primeau waiver eligible.. Montembeault has earned the chance to be the #1.

I'll agree that his mental side is questionable, but I just can't honestly say to myself that he's the reason those teams didn't advance through.

Sure, that also means he likely won't steal you big games... And I guess most teams need that sometimes, but I think it would be a scapegoat situation to hang him for the past failures.

He's not -the- reason but he certainly doesn't provide what those teams need. Which is why I expect the Oilers will be turning to Skinner again in the play-offs.

When you are a flawed team in the same way the Leafs are, you don't rush out and commit money and term to a goalie proven he can't get that same flawed style team over the hump.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

He's not -the- reason but he certainly doesn't provide what those teams need. Which is why I expect the Oilers will be turning to Skinner again in the play-offs.

When you are a flawed team in the same way the Leafs are, you don't rush out and commit money and term to a goalie proven he can't get that same flawed style team over the hump.

I think we are mostly on the same page. Id argue that Edmonton is even more flawed. I feel like the leafs can potentially withstand losing Matthews better than the oilers with mcdavid.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I don’t think Allen will be worth a whole lot in a trade. I know his play and injuries have been a problem, but I’d hang on to him until we know forsure Montembault can actually be that guy with a heavier workload over an extended time. Must say Monty has made me eat crow in a serious way this season. How he managed to clean up so many deficiencies over the off season is super impressive. He was just flat out awful last year and it wasn’t just the terrible D.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Why are we talking about trading Allen in here

Goalies have 0 value anyway. Even if we were to trade Allen , what are we gonna get? a 4th round pick? A backup goalie at 3.85m for 2 years turning 33 , you are not getting anything of value.

Also We need goalies for next season . Because there is non in the pipeline. Pretty much 0 goalies around the NHL who are #1 incoming and needs a trade.

Also we are gonna suck again next year and miss the playoffs , and we will have the same 2 goalies.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don’t think Allen will be worth a whole lot in a trade. I know his play and injuries have been a problem, but I’d hang on to him until we know forsure Montembault can actually be that guy with a heavier workload over an extended time. Must say Monty has made me eat crow in a serious way this season. How he managed to clean up so many deficiencies over the off season is super impressive. He was just flat out awful last year and it wasn’t just the terrible D.

They're not gonna waive Primeau or Monty, so while Allen won't be worth much. It's better than losing the young guys on waivers. They can sign an Aaron Dell and throw him through waivers.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Why are we talking about trading Allen in here

Goalies have 0 value anyway. Even if we were to trade Allen , what are we gonna get? a 4th round pick? A backup goalie at 3.85m for 2 years turning 33 , you are not getting anything of value.

Also We need goalies for next season . Because there is non in the pipeline. Pretty much 0 goalies around the NHL who are #1 incoming and needs a trade.

Also we are gonna suck again next year and miss the playoffs , and we will have the same 2 goalies.

What was the last goalie traded for?

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
They're not gonna waive Primeau or Monty, so while Allen won't be worth much. It's better than losing the young guys on waivers. They can sign an Aaron Dell and throw him through waivers.
You keep saying that but all the goalie contracts point to Allen staying. You want to figure out the plan in goals just look at the deals they signed.

Primeau is 1.5 years away from being a servicable NHL backup.
They signed Primeau to a one-way deal to make sure he’s going to clear waivers. Anyone keeping him on the Nhl roster next year will be completely messing his devolpment and the hope is other teams will shy away from paying 1M$ to play him in AHL, so he should be safe.

Allen has 2 more years on his deal in order to let Monty and Primes develop. Maybe on the last year of Allen’s deal he will be traded but I can bet you anything you want he will not be traded before his extension even kicks in.

It will be Monty /Allen tandem next year with Monty taking over 1st and signing extension after that.

Reactions: Hansman

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You keep saying that but all the goalie contracts point to Allen staying. You want to figure out the plan in goals just look at the deals they signed.

Primeau is 1.5 years away from being a servicable NHL backup.
They signed Primeau to a one-way deal to make sure he’s going to clear waivers. Anyone keeping him on the Nhl roster next year will be completely messing his devolpment and the hope is other teams will shy away from paying 1M$ to play him in AHL, so he should be safe.

Allen has 2 more years on his deal in order to let Monty and Primes develop. Maybe on the last year of Allen’s deal he will be traded but I can bet you anything you want he will not be traded before his extension even kicks in.

It will be Monty /Allen tandem next year with Monty taking over 1st and signing extension after that.

Allen's contract was signed at a time where Montembeault looked terrible at the NHL level.

The Habs aren't going to gamble on 1 million dollars keeping a team from grabbing Primeau off waivers.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Allen's contract was signed at a time where Montembeault looked terrible at the NHL level.

The Habs aren't going to gamble on 1 million dollars keeping a team from grabbing Primeau off waivers.
They clearly want to keep Primeau, hence the contract. The hope is that, on top of that, everyone else sees he’s not ready and that they cannot keep him on their NHL roster all year.
Monty was claimed at 25, Primeau is only 23.

I think they did everything they could to make sure he’s not claimed. The rest is a gamble, I guess we will see this September.

The scenario you are describing is valid but it’s one year early, after another year of devolpment I would not risk waiving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad