Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Senators again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
You're clearly watching a different game than I am. Allen makes the tough saves and easy ones too.

And the analytics prove your bias.

Save above expected: Allen positive 1.5% (second in the league behind Vasilevskiy)
Price minus .43 (middle of the pack right around Markstrom and Koskinen, kinda where I peg Price as a goalie)

Any more excuses for Price?
Game, set, match. That's all folks.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I miss Ilya Kovalchuk

He would have scored in OT for us. :(

We could use his offensive flair when the offense goes stale.

Signing him to a league minimum contract that counts nothing against the salary cap when he's on the taxi squad was a no-brainer.

Reactions: the

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Well for all you murmering for CJ to get fired.... fat chance. We got CJ only because the bears finally cut him lose. We need philly to go on a losing skid bad enough that Alan Vigneault gets fired and then we may see a coach change. As of today Philly is 8-4-3 which isn't bad enough so we are gonna be stuck with CJ for a while longer :naughty:

I don't know if the boys have checked out but if so it's not good news. Think back on just how long it took to get rid of Therrien. Three GM visits to the room and a historical losing season didn't get it done.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Price stops those breakaways too. The difference is that the "stinkers" he gives, are straight open ass rips from Matthews and Marner, lol.

People either don't know shit about hockey or are very biased, or a bit of both.

LOL at anyone who thinks goaltending is the issue with this team when we have proven time and time again we can't score more than two goals in highly contested games which explains our pathetic record in must win games down the stretch. I also think our average is 1.8 in the playoffs since Julien returned. Price eats a ton of crap because Bozo over-paid him but compared to what our D brings for the money they are paid he's probably a bargain.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I'm going to laugh when the win the next game, and we all start praising the vets. We are manic. God I have missed hockey with this covid, nice to complain about hockey again.
Don't think anybody will jump of joy if we beat Ottawa. It's not like its a hard feat. Its probably harder losing against them than winning against them with even Thomas Chabot the only good d-man they have was not even there.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Don't think anybody will jump of joy if we beat Ottawa. It's not like its a hard feat. Its probably harder losing against them than winning against them with even Thomas Chabot the only good d-man they have was not even there.

Some teams are just bad matchups, like some fights in the UFC etc. They get pumped to play Montreal, unlike the dolts on this side of the rink.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Some teams are just bad matchups, like some fights in the UFC etc. They get pumped to play Montreal, unlike the dolts on this side of the rink.
Yeah we have sttuggled with jersey and often buffalo, and it doesnt matter how good the bruins are, they love and hate playing us because they know we are their kryptonite but they saviour the victory more because of it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The veteran group is 100% to blame.

Danault ZERO goals
Byron ONE goal
Drouin ONE goal
Tatar ONE goal since game 2
Price- HORRIBLE
Chiarot, Weber- atrocious.

Can't blame the kids

We’ve added scoring this offseason; Toffoli and Anderson. We had kids who’ve elevated during the playoffs; KK and Suzuki.

Somebody needs to tell the veterans that is OK to score also....

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
We’ve added scoring this offseason; Toffoli and Anderson. We had kids who’ve elevated during the playoffs; KK and Suzuki.

Somebody needs to tell the veterans that is OK to score also....
It's not that simple. I think they try as hard as they can. Tha fact is, after that good start with the wins, the team suffers of a weak center line, including Suzuki and KK. They are very young, they are no match-ups with Matthews-Tavares or McDavid-Draisatle. Habs have good wingers but unexperimented centers and a defensive center. The whole system of play depends on that. And also face-offs, another weak part of the Habs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A large portion of this board wanted us to sell off last year, especially with suck a strong first round of the draft. It would have been awesome to potentially have had 2-3 picks in the first round.

... and some of us wanted it two years ago knowing the next two drafts were strong. The teams who did well tanking did so by knowing when to fold them. To make matters worse the convenient oh we have to remain competitive in this market mantra was so bogus given how bad we truly were.

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs lose again tonight. 6th place finish. Habs coaching staff is to blame because this happens every damn year.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If Habs picked Tkachuk, the team would be exactly the same place today. Habs could have kept Domi 2nd center after Suzuki but Habs wouldn't have Anderson. Habs always tryed to sign a center ufa over the last 10 years but it never happened. So they have to developp intern. We'll have to wait KK and Su to get age. KK will developp into a big strong center just a bit slow. He will dominate in key situations.

Reactions: Habano

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's not that simple. I think they try as hard as they can. Tha fact is, after that good start with the wins, the team suffers of a weak center line, including Suzuki and KK. They are very young, they are no match-ups with Matthews-Tavares or McDavid-Draisatle. Habs have good wingers but unexperimented centers and a defensive center. The whole system of play depends on that. And also face-offs, another weak part of the Habs.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic more than anything towards some of the leadership core. I get this isn't a video game, lol.

That said, I think the coaches really need to rethink how they approach games and how they manage games in-game. Trap teams for example aren't the type of teams where they are going to score off the rush. They need to play the cycle more and they do have players for it, like the Finns for example. That said, offence dies when all three are together but that's up to the coaches to figure out how to make it work.

I get the centers are struggling and yeah, faceoffs aren't great. However, while I understand why CJ rolls 4 lines, I think in a division where other teams with the very players you've mentioned ice them for 20+ minutes a night, we should do something similar. Maybe not play Suzuki 25+ minutes, but maybe distribute ice time more like 19min, 17, 15, 9? I'm just generalizing numbers as I get special teams will impact ice time, but despite his flaws, KK or even Tatar should have seen more ice when Drouin got hurt last game.

Play to win. We lose, well, that sucks but playing to not lose isn't working.

Reactions: Runner77

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Habs picked Tkachuk, the team would be exactly the same place today. Habs could have kept Domi 2nd center after Suzuki but Habs wouldn't have Anderson. Habs always tryed to sign a center ufa over the last 10 years but it never happened. So they have to developp intern. We'll have to wait KK and Su to get age. KK will developp into a big strong center just a bit slow. He will dominate in key situations.

Yeah, like how does removing KK.. adding Tkachuk and then likely removing Anderson or Toffoli make this teams substantially better? Yeah, right now, Tkachuk is the more reliable/productive player but he's a winger and I don't think he changes our fortunes any.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yeah we have sttuggled with jersey and often buffalo, and it doesnt matter how good the bruins are, they love and hate playing us because they know we are their kryptonite but they saviour the victory more because of it.

and its not just us, the Leaf's just do not matchup well against some teams either in this new division. Upto the coach to make adjustments and recognize who we are playing, and make changes. I know the Sens are not that talented, but they are a big physical team that just don't seem to quit. We have to match their intensity , if we can't that would be a shock and a red flag for Bergevin.

Tonight will tell us what this team is made of. If they show up to play things will be fine.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah, like how does removing KK.. adding Tkachuk and then likely removing Anderson or Toffoli make this teams substantially better? Yeah, right now, Tkachuk is the more reliable/productive player but he's a winger and I don't think he changes our fortunes any.
No. It would make the center line even worse.
Anderson and Toffoli replace Tkachuk easylly.
The center line concern had to be fixed.
I felt KK and Tatar should have more ice time when Drou got injured.
Some things I don't understand.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
^^^This

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I think the slump started when Mete was inserted in the line up removing Kulak.
Everything was fine with Kulak and then Julien make Mete play and other teams take advantage and win. Why responding positivelly to an agent trying to take care of his customer? It's Habs first, not Mete.

Sorry if I hurt, had to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad