Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Lightning. At least they didn't get shut out.

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Or how, in good faith, they had the audacity to play Armia on the first line. Where is the accountability?
Armia is Dadonov level bad. They can’t seriously consider letting him play until the end of his contract. Waive his ass and keep him away from this team.

Reactions: SupRocket

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Were headed in the right direction, Bedard put up 7 points last night. Can't blame the coach for having a terrible roster with 5 rookies in it.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I find it weird that his team isn't afraid to let young kids play on D, a significantly more difficult position for young players, however at forward there is still so much reliance on useless veterans.

Drouin and Armia have ZERO goals in 43 games, one of them was playing on the top PP yesterday while the other was on the top line for some reason.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I find it weird that his team isn't afraid to let young kids play on D, a significantly more difficult position for young players, however at forward there is still so much reliance on useless veterans.

Drouin and Armia have ZERO goals in 43 games, one of them was playing on the top PP yesterday while the other was on the top line for some reason.

It's the one blind spot we might have to deal with for MSL. I think he identifies with those guys on the cusp of losing their NHL dreams and wants to give them every opportunity to turn things around.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
MSL is not paid to tank on purpose , they would have kept Ducharme . MSL is a terrible coach with 0 experience and have no idea what to do.
Same goes for Burrows.

He went from coaching pee-wee directly into NHL.
Atleast Ducharme worked his way to get there even tho he sucked.

They called him a motivator and yet they look even less motivated than last season.
No ducharme was losing but was harming the young players . MSL is developing the young players, we had 5 rookie dmen, yet people complain how we played vs an elite tampa team .
man sometimes expectations are surely an issue, and yes habs fan base dont understand that you can tank discreetly without being paid to lose.
But it is ok, we can agree to disagree.
You can get upset now, and i will chat with you come lottery draft time and ask if this was worth it

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
It's the one blind spot we might have to deal with for MSL. I think he identifies with those guys on the cusp of losing their NHL dreams and wants to give them every opportunity to turn things around.

Spot on (and same with keeping Burrows), HuGo needs to move vets we don’t want to see because MSL is gonna keep giving them playing time because of their vet status, it took everything to bench Dadonov.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Realistically, there's not much Hughes can do to move Dadonov, Drouin, Armia, Gallagher, and Hoffman. I think we're stuck with them until the end of the year at least.

And I don't expect there to be that many forward rookies available next year.

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
Realistically, there's not much Hughes can do to move Dadonov, Drouin, Armia, Gallagher, and Hoffman. I think we're stuck with them until the end of the year at least.

I would waive Dadonov and Armia post TDL if they are still on the team.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Were headed in the right direction, Bedard put up 7 points last night. Can't blame the coach for having a terrible roster with 5 rookies in it.
Even with 5 rookies on defence, I thought after a weak first period, the Canadiens largely played Tampa equal. The problem with this team as currently constructed is that the margin of error that we play under is so small that unless we capitalize on our limited scoring chances, we have little chance of winning. We had enough scoring chances to have made the game more competitive score-wise if we converted. This team can't afford crossbars, missed odd-man chances and unsuccessful close-in scoring chances. Couple that with special team play that was decidedly un-special, and you get a 4-1 losing result. On a positive note, in my opinion, our defence that was comprised of 5 rookies showed very well against a strong opponent in a hostile environment. There were few instances where we were trapped in our zone for extended periods and there were few overtly bad reads defensively. Let's play this team in two years and I think you will see a markedly different result. No one likes to lose. But the construct of the foundation for future success is apparent to at least this observer.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Drouin hasn't scored on the PP in over 3 calendar years..................we are now at DD and Gomez levels...and the perimeter pansy gets put out over and over, and we all know the five forward thing was only good when Monahan was there.....
Give the top 6 role, and PP time to the Richard kid......he is hungry to stay.............Drouin is just a waste....he along with other vets, but no one gets the treatment JD does...
Sick of it....

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Kiss Bedard goodbye, we have Allen and Monty stealing enough games that it'll keep us from the bottom 3
Nah, i think MSL has hit the sweetspot whereby we are losing every game, but showing up and working hard (except for vets). I think we'll have a good shot at top 2 with ours and FLA 1st.. bedard and Fantilli will be amazing in our lineup..

Then go get PLD and Laff, and my god we would be the most fearsome offense in the league.

Young D is perfectly fine..

G we need Dobes to turn it up.

Trade any and all other players.. and rebuild complete.
Trade future 1sts for help at TDL when needed. Cup will be ours in 3-4 years.

Reactions: ReHabs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Kiss Bedard goodbye, we have Allen and Monty stealing enough games that it'll keep us from the bottom 3
Finishing in the top 3 would be nice, but there is an abundance of high end talent available in the top 10-12. I may be in the distinct minority here, but I think the quality of this draft is somewhat skewered by the quality of the top 10-15 players. Once you get past those notable players I don't see this draft as being that much better (or worse) than the many drafts that will have preceded the 2023 draft. Draft in the top ten, but outside of the top 3, we should still be able to get an impact player. Perhaps not generational, nor exceptional, but nonetheless, a player that can substantially add to our growing nucleus of young talent.

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

That the PP hasn't been scrapped totally and rebuilt from nothing is a poser. This is not a short term funk it has been going on for years now.
It's gotten to the point where a coach has to become a hard ass and lay down some ground rules. EARN IT.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

And beyond. I think Hughes will have to rethink his idea of not biting off some salary if he expects to move either Gallagher or Armia before their contracts expire. One more year of Hoffman won't be the end of the world and those other two are gone and we are the winners even with no return.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
This past little stretch is much closer to the team that I expected. The wheels usually come off the wagon for us in December. Toss in the fact that we have literally 2.5 productive offensive players and it’s not a surprise.

The team is 100% a lottery team. I’m very confident we’ll land between 4-7 by seasons end, which is a perfectly fine spot to be picking this draft.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Finishing in the top 3 would be nice, but there is an abundance of high end talent available in the top 10-12. I may be in the distinct minority here, but I think the quality of this draft is somewhat skewered by the quality of the top 10-15 players. Once you get past those notable players I don't see this draft as being that much better (or worse) than the many drafts that will have preceded the 2023 draft. Draft in the top ten, but outside of the top 3, we should still be able to get an impact player. Perhaps not generational, nor exceptional, but nonetheless, a player that can substantially add to our growing nucleus of young talent.
Look at Brayden Point, Victor Hedman, and Nikita Kucherov. Heck, even Stamkos.

We don’t have a single player who compares to them. Maybe Caufield one day might be a lethal and reliable goal scorer like Stamkos. But otherwise, we need a lot more than good enough. The Habs have busted on the last three top10 picks (Galchenyuk, Sergachev->Drouin, and Kotkaniemi) and have very little to show for it today. Slafkovsky was drafted with the massive caveat that it was a bad draft cuvée at the high-end and we shouldn’t expect a star out of him.

So when will we get star players? This is the year to tank. I don’t think this team can endure another season of losing. MSL will sooner retire than keep digging his W-L record down for some nebulous future success that might not ever show.

We have very good pieces like Guhle and Suzuki, we need star talent and we need it badly. This is the year.

If we can pick up PLD and an instant impact player from the 2023 draft I’d be blown away. It’s the kind of manoeuvre that would set us up for years to come.

Jul 6, 2016
Lots of good young players to build on....

Lots of bad vet players (heartless) to get rid of... No leaders in that bunch to rely on. Too bad the four best vets were injured (Monahan, Savard and Gally + Matheson never had a chance to recover fully from his injuries). Nobody to back up properly Suzuki and Caufield + our young d-men.

Lack on NHL experience of the whole coaching staff.... MSL, Burrows, Letowski and Robidas have very few coaching experiences at NHL level. They need a seasoned vet to help them.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Drouin hasn't scored on the PP in over 3 calendar years..................we are now at DD and Gomez levels...and the perimeter pansy gets put out over and over, and we all know the five forward thing was only good when Monahan was there.....
Give the top 6 role, and PP time to the Richard kid......he is hungry to stay.............Drouin is just a waste....he along with other vets, but no one gets the treatment JD does...
Sick of it....
Only one descriptive missing from the turds you named — you guessed it, « brutal ». This season can’t end soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad