Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Avs 2-1 in OT

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I hoped that with the rebuild Habs could start turning it around at around year 3, so next season. But having seen what Hughes has to deal with, where you literally have to replace 3/4 of the team who are practically unmovable, I am afraid we are in for about 6-7 year ride before we can see some semblance of be being a contender. Sigh. Oh well... not like we're going anywhere.

I haven't watched the games recently. How is he doing at center?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Oh & we did get one brief moment of Dadonov - Drouin - Hoffman on the ice when Drouin made that nice dish to Dadonov, but he f***ed it up.

Line change happened with the Dvorak line coming on, and Drouin was late coming off due to the offensive chance he created.
For the love of everything sacred, why is Dadonov still on this team? Waive him and send him down. More likely than not, he will refuse to report anyway so win-win. Sigh. Unreal.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It's completely subjective.

A player in junior can look like the smartest player around and look like an idiot in NHL because the game becomes too fast for him to process, and there's no way to know that til he gets there.

People also love to equate inexperience to low IQ, because they can't identify either.

It takes multiple levels of skills to become an NHL player, there isn't one special ingredient that a prospect must have.
Well, sure it is subjective no argument from me. If it were managed to be objectively processed and analysed we'd be in a different field entirely. But putting aside that it's hard to measure hockey IQ, I think the field of scouting and player development is changing. Sports sciences has enjoyed massive changes to fitness, rehab, injury prevention, diet and nutrition, etc.

The new gains on the fitness side has changed the field, so to speak, so I believe the differences between Player A and Player B have become MORE pronounced with those other things being more equal. Whereas before a highly skilled player who neglected his fitness could get by, I don't think it would be as easy for him to get to the NHL now when every player in this rich sport will be giving a 100% effort toward the things they can control and improve at every level, starting from atom and peewee. I think that leaves hockey IQ (or vision, or decision-making -- whatever you want to call the analytic mental side) as more important than ever. I'm not saying it's the magic ingredient but that many of the other ingredients are now more equal between the players than ever, leaving the distinguishing ingredients each more important than ever.

Inexperience is one thing, and it makes sense to give players plenty of time to catch up. No point in rushing a player to the NHL before he shows he's up to speed on his playmaking (hint hint). If a player has trouble processing the NHL-level game or has trouble adapting to the NHL-level speed, and he's been given ample opportunities and exhausted his options (like that Poolparty kid in Edmonton) then he doesn't have it - simple as. Close the book and move on. If you can't process the NHL game you'll never be a relevant player, you'll never be an impact player.

Now do I have any idea how to develop hockey IQ? No, not at all. Not one bit. My theory is that a player who is running the show on the ice in his current league and can play all situations should be given a shot in a higher league in a similar role (ie top6 to top6, not top6 to 4th line garbage minutes). This is what I would've liked to see from Kotkaniemi for instance. I really don't see the benefit of thrusting a teenager who is called 'a project' into the NHL as an 18 year old to play garbage minutes when he could be feasting on loads of minutes elsewhere, in all situations, against slightly slower, slightly worse defenders which allow him to figure out things on the ice by himself.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, sure it is subjective no argument from me. If it were managed to be objectively processed and analysed we'd be in a different field entirely. But putting aside that it's hard to measure hockey IQ, I think the field of scouting and player development is changing. Sports sciences has enjoyed massive changes to fitness, rehab, injury prevention, diet and nutrition, etc.

The new gains on the fitness side has changed the field, so to speak, so I believe the differences between Player A and Player B have become MORE pronounced with those other things being more equal. Whereas before a highly skilled player who neglected his fitness could get by, I don't think it would be as easy for him to get to the NHL now when every player in this rich sport will be giving a 100% effort toward the things they can control and improve at every level, starting from atom and peewee. I think that leaves hockey IQ (or vision, or decision-making -- whatever you want to call the analytic mental side) as more important than ever. I'm not saying it's the magic ingredient but that many of the other ingredients are now more equal between the players than ever, leaving the distinguishing ingredients each more important than ever.

Inexperience is one thing, and it makes sense to give players plenty of time to catch up. No point in rushing a player to the NHL before he shows he's up to speed on his playmaking (hint hint). If a player has trouble processing the NHL-level game or has trouble adapting to the NHL-level speed, and he's been given ample opportunities and exhausted his options (like that Poolparty kid in Edmonton) then he doesn't have it - simple as. Close the book and move on. If you can't process the NHL game you'll never be a relevant player, you'll never be an impact player.

Now do I have any idea how to develop hockey IQ? No, not at all. Not one bit. My theory is that a player who is running the show on the ice in his current league and can play all situations should be given a shot in a higher league in a similar role (ie top6 to top6, not top6 to 4th line garbage minutes). This is what I would've liked to see from Kotkaniemi for instance. I really don't see the benefit of thrusting a teenager who is called 'a project' into the NHL as an 18 year old to play garbage minutes when he could be feasting on loads of minutes elsewhere, in all situations, against slightly slower, slightly worse defenders which allow him to figure out things on the ice by himself.

For the most part, I can agree, but no IQ is perfect. Last 2 losses for Oilers, McDavid coughed up puck in defensive zone for game winning goals. IQ can go south if you're tired, whether physically or mentally.

Players have to be receptive to being taught, but also have to have good teachers.

It's what I love most about Slafkovsky. Kid left home at 16 to go to Finland to work on his skating, and his overall game. He got his own apartment, and cooked & cleaned for himself. At an extremely young age, he recognized weaknesses in his own game, and worked on them.

He's coachable, willing to learn & takes action to advance his skills/knowledge. He isn't passive in his own development, which is why I believe in his potential for growth.

No player from the 2022 draft was NHL ready - not even Wright.

With Slafkovsky there's several factors at play, NHL season gets faster & more intense as season goes on, so things are picking up; we had a weak schedule to start, but now we're starting to see better teams like TB, Colorado, and Dallas upcoming, etc, and three he's playing with shit players who can't support him. It's not a coincidence that his 5pts in 7 games mostly came with Monahan, who's defensively stable and can make plays with the puck.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
MSL is trying to ice a team without centers… Monahan’s injury messed everything up. We don’t have any depth.

He has Dach who could be used as the second line centre but always resorts to throwing him back with Suzuki/Caufield after a period or two. Dach should just be kept at C until Monahan is back so he can try to gain more experience down the middle.

Reactions: Redux91

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He has Dach who could be used as the second line centre but always resorts to throwing him back with Suzuki/Caufield after a period or two. Dach should just be kept at C until Monahan is back so he can try to gain more experience down the middle.
Maybe if Suzuki and Caufield could do something without Dach on their line MSL wouldnt feel obligated to put him there. I know they are our two babies but they should look better than they do when playing with Anderson ( i know he sucks but still they are two very talented players)

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
For the most part, I can agree, but no IQ is perfect. Last 2 losses for Oilers, McDavid coughed up puck in defensive zone for game winning goals. IQ can go south if you're tired, whether physically or mentally.

Players have to be receptive to being taught, but also have to have good teachers.

It's what I love most about Slafkovsky. Kid left home at 16 to go to Finland to work on his skating, and his overall game. He got his own apartment, and cooked & cleaned for himself. At an extremely young age, he recognized weaknesses in his own game, and worked on them.

He's coachable, willing to learn & takes action to advance his skills/knowledge. He isn't passive in his own development, which is why I believe in his potential for growth.

No player from the 2022 draft was NHL ready - not even Wright.

With Slafkovsky there's several factors at play, NHL season gets faster & more intense as season goes on, so things are picking up; we had a weak schedule to start, but now we're starting to see better teams like TB, Colorado, and Dallas upcoming, etc, and three he's playing with shit players who can't support him. It's not a coincidence that his 5pts in 7 games mostly came with Monahan, who's defensively stable and can make plays with the puck.
Slaf wasn't NHL ready and was rushed. This I won't budge, it was not a good move to thrust him into the NHL. His 5 pts in 7 games could easily be attributed to him leeching off a much better, more confident playmaker. Which is totally fine, and should continue when Money Monahan is back.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Allen did. No one else, though.
No doubt but man if you’re going to steal it do it all the way. That last goal was brutal. I hate when goalies do that. Maybe was burnt out.
By the way what’s with Sakic. Did he get sick? Man he looks 70. He’s my age and my 82 yr old dad looks better.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Maybe if Suzuki and Caufield could do something without Dach on their line MSL wouldnt feel obligated to put him there. I know they are our two babies but they should look better than they do when playing with Anderson ( i know he sucks but still they are two very talented players)

It's because Anderson is playing solo on a line. Doesn't matter which line, the guy is on his own little planet 95% of the time, it's no coincidence he doesn't click well with anyone.

According to LeBrun, teams are still calling for him, and it's probably time for the Habs to take a good look at any serious offer for him.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No doubt but man if you’re going to steal it do it all the way. That last goal was brutal. I hate when goalies do that. Maybe was burnt out.
By the way what’s with Sakic. Did he get sick? Man he looks 70. He’s my age and my 82 yr old dad looks better.

Maybe he got the big C and didnt open-up about it, not wanting to make a big deal out of it. It's a great mindset to beat that shit.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He tried Dach. The first line wasn’t as productive and the 2nd line didn’t produce.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
It's because Anderson is playing solo on a line. Doesn't matter which line, the guy is on his own little planet 95% of the time, it's no coincidence he doesn't click well with anyone.

According to LeBrun, teams are still calling for him, and it's probably time for the Habs to take a good look at any serious offer for him.
I’d take a 2nd round for him just to get rid of his contract.

Slaf has hit the rookie wall…
Yep. Also it doesn’t help that there isn’t a single forward on lines 2-4 that belongs in the NHL these days. Slaf would do a lot better if he were surrounded by some solid players. But with this gong show - he better off playing in AHL

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Anderson and Drouin were a disaster waiting to happen........................if you watch our OT wins you will see calculated chances being taken by players who get it.
Maybe they are bad at calculus. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I agree with the general sentiment that they should be able to play without Dach, but I truly can't blame them with Anderson specifically. Dude is just a complete soloist, he has no passing vision whatsoever, every pass he receives he needs to fumble with it for 3 seconds to handle it properly, and despite being 6'3 220 he is horrible on the cycle and the forecheck. All he can do is EA NHL game style rush plays it seems.

I don't think they strictly "need" Dach for his skill (it's a nice to have but not a need to have on that line), but at present they need him because he's our best forechecker and is good on the boards. If Armia ever stops being complete ass he'd be a fine fit there, even washed up Gallagher could help them with his board play, Slafkovsky potentially down the line depending on how the next couple months go, etc. Evans also would be acceptable but they probably can't take him off of C. I'd truthfully like to see them stick Richard on that line, I actually think he'd be a good fit in the short term until Monahan returns.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree with the general sentiment that they should be able to play without Dach, but I truly can't blame them with Anderson specifically. Dude is just a complete soloist, he has no passing vision whatsoever, every pass he receives he needs to fumble with it for 3 seconds to handle it properly, and despite being 6'3 220 he is horrible on the cycle and the forecheck. All he can do is EA NHL game style rush plays it seems.

I don't think they strictly "need" Dach for his skill (it's a nice to have but not a need to have on that line), but at present they need him because he's our best forechecker and is good on the boards. If Armia ever stops being complete ass he'd be a fine fit there, even washed up Gallagher could help them with his board play, Slafkovsky potentially down the line depending on how the next couple months go, etc. Evans also would be acceptable but they probably can't take him off of C. I'd truthfully like to see them stick Richard on that line, I actually think he'd be a good fit in the short term until Monahan returns.
Richard is a good skater, but is easily pushed off the puck. The top line needs a possession type of player who can win puck battles, has the skating ability to keep up with Suzuki and Caufield and who has the vision/ skill to take advantage of the scoring opportunities that these two highly skilled players create. Those type of players are rare and on this current roster only Dach comes close to having the necessary skills that will maximize Suzuki and Caufield’s potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad