He was quite the character, I'd guess Halpern wasn't too fond of him :laugh:

ott_lick.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He’s one of the better players on the team the last few games.

Someone has to get ice time and it sure as hell isn’t Pezz, Stephens, etc.
it’s the 22 goals career (with 13 of those the same year lol) that have us yawning. looks like a nice guy, works hard and all.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I see Gally on the ice, and some nights, you just have to shake your head....his time has come. His expiration date is passed. Sorry guys, it just is...........
I've seen better hockey players in ball hockey leagues.

He's done. We know it. He knows it. Hughes knows it. We're stuck with his contract.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'm still not giving up on Barron just yet. I'm old school, so with a kid this talented. I'm still willing to wait a a few years. Since D usually take a bit longer to develop.
It's obvious he's talented, and he'll find a way to have an NHL career. I just highly doubt he reaches his first pairing potential. I'm thinking he'll end up with a career similar to Hainsey's.

Which, I mean, good for them! But with Reinbacher and Mailloux coming up on the right side, I doubt we need a guy like Barron mid-long term.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It's obvious he's talented, and he'll find a way to have an NHL career. I just highly doubt he reached his first pairing potential. I'm thinking he'll end up with a career similar to Hainsey's.

Which, I mean, good for them! But with Reinbacher and Mailloux coming up on the right side, I doubt we need a guy like Barron mid-long term.
Agreed. It would still make him a solid addition to any team's defense. Though I don't see where he'll fit with us in the future. Especially now that Ghule is showing he can also play RD.

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Actually I did watch an amazing animal video, which I did see before but watched it again tonight, about a guy who built a squirrel obstacle course and then watching the squirrel attempt it. Still a great watch.

Mostly though it some Photoshop videos on how to use luminosity, zone, and color masks to target specific areas of the photo that you're editing. Also got caught up on the latest few videos from a chick I follow on YT who "supposedly" lives in a truck camper (I doubt she does but who cares) since she likes to prance around in bikini's and yoga pants. :D

Man, the stuff that gets views on YouTube is crazy to me.

Like, I'll watch some skiing, cooking or programming tutorial and suddenly I'm bombarded with thirst traps, "How WOKE Hollywood is getting DESTROYED" or "WOMAN LACKING ACCOUNTABILITY GETS REALITY CHECK", then a woman barely dressed explaining what I need to do to have a healthy morning routine by eating only raw beef.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think Matheson takes too much heat, he is playing in the wrong chair, just tries to do too much at times, he clearly has the green light to skate with the puck up ice and make plays, the prob is that he is lacking the awarenesses offensive defensemen usually pocesses. Im pretty sure he would be more stable if being told to settle down a bit. I dont see the issue personally considering we are in a rebuilding mode, just let him do his things and hope a team will end up overpaying for him at one point.

As for the game, really liked Caufield tonight, played his best game in a long time, hopefully he can build on this game going foward.

Guhle was pretty solid and looked quite motivated for this game as he usually is against Oilers. Slaf had some nice moments as well, had a great shift at one point on the PP.

Suzuki is a strong 2-way center, team will be much funnier to watch next year when we have both Suzu and Dach down the middle. Trading Dvorak and having Beck centering our 3rd line would be even better.

Last edited:

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Most hated player in franchise history: Matheson.

That is all.
Hate is too strong a word. I prefer dislike, or strongly dislike. :thumbu:
For me, he's edging up there with the Drouins, Desharnais and Petrys. Not there yet but getting close.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I still stand by my view that Barron gets lots of unfair flak. Look back to the older posts. Until early December, most posts were positive and praising his play. Then he rode some ups-and-downs. The downs from a week ago were followed from some more solid play. Bottom line. We're jumping all over a kid with only 82 NHL games and just turned 22 Nov 15th. He's trending for 12 goals and 24 points. And it's not like he's got a Shea Weber to bring him along.

Seriously, this board sometimes...I'm not always right, and def do miss with my assessments...no one has a crystal ball...but I was right about Slaf when he was the whipping boy. And I see lots of positives with this kid. He's young, and a bit awkward atm.

We're rebuilding. So what's the big deal? I wish we'd stop running young players out of town (press and fans) and it will play dividends. If he's not fixing his issues by NEXT Christmas, he should be reevaluated. Who do we prefer in his place? Kovacevic? Maillioux's not ready yet, that's for sure. He's coming...but not now. We're looking to around 2 years down the road to make our moves. By then, players like Barron will have improved with experience. JMHO!

Go Habs Go!

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think Matheson takes too much heat, he is playing in the wrong chair, just tries to do too much at times, he clearly has the green light to skate with the puck up ice and make plays, the prob is that he is lacking the awarenesses offensive defensemen usually pocesses. Im pretty sure he would be more stable if being told to settle down a bit. I dont see the issue personally considering we are in a rebuilding mode, just let him do his things and hope a team will end up overpaying for him at one point.

As for the game, really liked Caufield tonight, played his best game in a long time, hopefully he can build on this game going foward.

Guhle was pretty solid and looked quite motivated for this game as he usually is against Oilers. Slaf had some nice moments as well, had a great shift at one point on the PP.

Suzuki is a strong 2-way center, team will be much funnier to watch next year when we have both Suzu and Dach down the middle. Trading Dvorak and having Beck centering our 3rd line would be even better.
Matheson played a great game tonight and was one of the most impactful players using his great skating to break up many Oiler plays. We took a strong team into overtime and Matheson in one sequence in overtime almost won the game for us on an end to end rush and then broke up a three on one rush on the back check with a great display of mobility.

Without Matheson’s contributions game-in and game out, this team would be even more pedestrian than one could bare. They would become unwatchable.

The incessant suggestions of trading this excellent player borders on insanity.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I still stand by my view that Barron gets lots of unfair flak. Look back to the older posts. Until early December, most posts were positive and praising his play. Then he rode some ups-and-downs. The downs from a week ago were followed from some more solid play. Bottom line. We're jumping all over a kid with only 82 NHL games and just turned 22 Nov 15th. He's trending for 12 goals and 24 points. And it's not like he's got a Shea Weber to bring him along.

Seriously, this board sometimes...I'm not always right, and def do miss with my assessments...no one has a crystal ball...but I was right about Slaf when he was the whipping boy. And I see lots of positives with this kid. He's young, and a bit awkward atm.

We're rebuilding. So what's the big deal? I wish we'd stop running young players out of town (press and fans) and it will play dividends. If he's not fixing his issues by NEXT Christmas, he should be reevaluated. Who do we prefer in his place? Kovacevic? Maillioux's not ready yet, that's for sure. He's coming...but not now. We're looking to around 2 years down the road to make our moves. By then, players like Barron will have improved with experience. JMHO!

Go Habs Go!
I just hope he isn't being rushed because his struggles defensively are obvious. In a perfect world he would be in Laval.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Just glad the battle was there which is what was so frustrating with the SJ and Philly games that they mailed in. They battled tonight and thats something that should be a non negotiable even with rebuilding teams. Its often not there with this team which is why you so often see less then 60 minute efforts and periods they get 5 shots or less.

Nice to see everyone working and Sacrificing tonight even Armia

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I just hope he isn't being rushed because his struggles defensively are obvious. In a perfect world he would be in Laval.
I think he's being brought along OK. He really only has had a rough stretch recently. If we're honest, golden boy Guhle has also struggled this year both offensively and defensively. We know about Mathesons issues. Harris has been terrible. Struble has been great, but he's also starting to show cracks. Our vets are Savard and Matheson. Not a pair who exactly inspire confidence.

Our skilled players and future core are very young. The Gretzky/Messier/Coffee/Fuhr Oilers sucked defensively at the start but grew together as a core and we all know how they turned out. Not comparing our guys talent for talent to them, but same idea...we're rebuilding, so patience. I think Barron is better off developing in the NHL at THIS point. WiFi on his best days this year was still worse than Barron overall, IMO. Cheers!

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
just came back from the game.....Gally thanks for your service but you are done.

OIlers are a PP team, they aren't winning anything.

The game today...I appreciate the skill and speed of hockey....but man, can some guys go through and take the damn body???? I miss the passion and emotion of hockey.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Got a point against hot team. Habs lack the second line to generator offense. Right now we would draft 8th so part of that will be addressed at draft. I don't think we slide deeper than 8th as sounds like Habs will sell at deadline.

Montembeault was dialed in. With 40 stops on 42 shots for .950% save percentage. Really tracked the puck well. I think that is difference in top goalies, ability to follow the puck. Looking for a goalie skill, size, agility but ability to track pick is big deal.

Guhle had good game, playing on his off side. Good chemistry with Matheson. Going to be big deal if he play well there. As Habs stacked on left side but weak on right side.

RHP I liked his game tonight. Good to see him back in lineup. I thought he bought some energy to team. Long term he's probably a fixture in our bottom 6. With Beck, Newhook, Heineman, future there also. Evans is good fourth line center. Gallagher likely bought out in '25.

Getting back to draft, if Habs pick up couple extra picks at deadline could package them at draft for a Dach type trade. Probably have to include a D. Give us a good second line as early as camp. Mesar and Roy possibly future in top 6 mix also.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I've seen the squirrel one, it's amazing.

lol now I'm jealous.

I'm still not giving up on Barron just yet. I'm old school, so with a kid this talented. I'm still willing to wait a a few years. Since D usually take a bit longer to develop.
you know a franchise is a in a poor state when fans prefer watching mark rober videos than its team's games... lol

(though to be fair, his old videos were pretty good before he went full on Peter Pan)

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Again outshot, outplayed… no talent, no structure. Goalies make this team look much better than it is. In my opinion, they are bottom 3 in the league in terms of talent with the Sharks And Hawks

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Trade you Ceci for him.

Real talk though, I thought he was one of your best players tonight?

Yeah he played great, but he's mistake prone, so people now take him to town for any perceived miscue. He's also not a PP QB, which is killing our PP. Basically all he can do is pass it to Caufield or take a shot.

You can keep Ceci. That guy sucks. Even Caufield was able to ride him off the puck & take it from him. A better offensive team does a lot more with all the turnovers he made in defensive zone too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad