Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to oilers

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I find Barron plays scared in his own zone. He panics way too much. Makes terrible decisions. The game is too fast for him pint size brain.

I disagree with the “game too fast / pint sized” but I don’t think Barron has any “dog” in his game (the “scared” part).

Guhle, Struble, even Matheson have some meanness in them, while Barron looks like someone that would be glad to play in a contactless league.

He can still be a good RD but I’m not sure he’ll stick when we start contending.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I am not as confident in MSL as many on this site are. Experience speaks volumes and eventually lack of experience shows itself.
He has a ways to go in my eyes to prove he is the best coach since Demers (that's actually not a very high bar).

Ylonen’s handling I don’t get it but apart from that I think the main issue is analyzing things every game instead of 10 games samples.

The team is trending up despite injuries, lack of talent, underperforming vets, etc.

The main thing that is on the coaching staff for me is the PK. We are supposed to be a mobile team but we have the most passive PK and you don’t need talent for the PK (Flyers are like top5).

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Matheson problem is he is ultra high risk high reward. When playing well like at the end of last year, people were whispering Norris candidate, but when he plays like he has all of this year, he makes as many mistakes and giveaways as he does positive plays. Skates beautifully and can get his shot from the blue line, but also lacks QB vision and for some reason never passes to Slaf. He is what he is but I don’t believe teams win cups with players that error prone in the top pair, maybe top 4.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
It would give so many options in the future if Guhle can play the right side comfortably!! The whole dcore would be alot more balanced imo.
He can, and he has. He played lots on the right side towards the end of last year with Matheson as well.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I have been watching McDavid since his first game and I think last night is the first time he’s ever been mercilessly boo’d lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Matheson problem is he is ultra high risk high reward. When playing well like at the end of last year, people were whispering Norris candidate, but when he plays like he has all of this year, he makes as many mistakes and giveaways as he does positive plays. Skates beautifully and can get his shot from the blue line, but also lacks QB vision and for some reason never passes to Slaf. He is what he is but I don’t believe teams win cups with players that error prone in the top pair, maybe top 4.

Contending teams should be looking at him if they can make their finances work, but they won't be looking at him to play the same role as he is doing in Montreal.

He can handle top pair duties from time to time, but he will be much more prone to inconsistencies. Ideally, he's on a balanced 2nd pair and then I think you'll see alot of those inconsistencies reduced.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Just curious... what's that reward we're talking about?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pomee and LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Contending teams should be looking at him if they can make their finances work, but they won't be looking at him to play the same role as he is doing in Montreal.

He can handle top pair duties from time to time, but he will be much more prone to inconsistencies. Ideally, he's on a balanced 2nd pair and then I think you'll see alot of those inconsistencies reduced.
That's kind of a 500 000 too much for an offensive 2nd pairing dman though. It's not a bad contract but it's not really an optimal one for a team trying to pay their stars. Ideally he's a 3A-3B dman imo. Ideally you would want to have him at 4ish millions if possible. Again not an atrocious contract by any mean and i'm sure you can find many similar contracts but it's not really a team friendly one either.

People gets blinded by his offensive stats but it's a little bit the same problem as DD except that Matheson is a better player in general but he's not a number 1 or 2 on a good team and as a number 3 or 4 he would get less points and his defensive hole would show more against top competition in playoffs. The amount of points a player will get is influenced by his TOI. On a good team Matheson is a 30 to 40 points dman with defensive holes.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
That's what a lot of people said about Slaf...not all that long ago. Maybe you're right. Nothing much to lose to find out.

I guess I have a LOT of faith in MSL. I think he's the best coach we've had in ages, probably since Demers. I see him as a much more well-rounded Demers (especially on the technical side of the game and game experience). If MSL thinks he should play, I think that speaks volumes.
No way.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But for shits and giggles, please name the last coach you think was better than him. We're hovering near .500 and have skated stride for stride with the very best teams. And for context, working with such a injury-riddled lineup and a very young team. How many rookies did we start on D this year? And no Carey Price....I'll wait.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But for shits and giggles, please name the last coach you think was better than him. We're hovering near .500 and have skated stride for stride with the very best teams. And for context, working with such a injury-riddled lineup and a very young team. How many rookies did we start on D this year? And no Carey Price....I'll wait.
Agreed. He’s the best coach we’ve had in forever.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

MT

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think we have to overcome a significant amount of challenges other than Matheson's errors before we can worry about Cup victories. I am more modest in my expectations. Let's start by seeing if we can make the playoffs. Right now, with a largely devastated line-up (no Dach, Newhook, Anderson, Dvorak, etc.) we are a borderline playoff team. And Matheson's 26 minutes per game has played a large part in that overachievement. And this player, who is second in team scoring, is making this contribution on a contract that pays him under $5 million per annum. For what this player provides ( skill and leadership) and for what we are paying him, it's probably one of the best veteran contracts in the league.

The least of our problems is Matheson.

Last edited:

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016

Funny enough that when the Habs where doing really well under MT it was only beceause of Carey Price and now that every stats shows the only reasons we are not bottom three in DA league is beceause of our goaltending people keep using the near .500 record to prep MSL

Deux poids deux mesures

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Funny enough that when the Habs where doing really well under MT it was only beceause of Carey Price and now that every stats shows the only reasons we are not bottom three in DA league is beceause of our goaltending people keep using the near .500 record to prep MSL

Deux poids deux mesures
I try not to engage in all or nothing thinking like you describe. I'm not saying Price was solely responsible for success. Nor am I saying MT was solely responsible for poor performances. But it sure is a major factor when you have arguably the best goalie on the planet. No offense to Montembault.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When do we play Ottawa that will be THE loss. :sarcasm:
Pinto is betting against.

Sry, I meant his cousin Pane Shinto, who is sharing the gambling site account, is betting against. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Contrary to many here, I was impressed by the Oilers. Could be the year. Coaching change seem to have done the trick. It reminds me of when the Booins got rid of Julien and hired the now Vegas guy.
Didn't Julien win Boston's only cup since 1972?

Jul 6, 2016
I think we had experinced coaches who had not much in their hands and who had done fine, like them or not. Vigneault, J.Martin and Claude have all done quite well with what they had in their hands. Even Evil Therrien had good records. Injuries and rookies are good excuses. But when a team is always losing against weaker oppositions and have a negative record at home, it is troubling. This team is not really playing better now than it was two years ago when MSL started.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I have been watching McDavid since his first game and I think last night is the first time he’s ever been mercilessly boo’d lol

Nothing personal, we was trying to deconcentrate him.

ffd.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad