Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to last placed Senators | Detroit 2.0?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The first 15 minutes I thought the execution was crisp, we got a lead and spent much time in the Ottawas' zone. Danaults' line was especially effective. The effort level seemed good enough to beat an inferior team. But then the Senators refused to roll over and two quick goals derailed us completely. The 2nd period was awful.

Anyways, there's value in such lessons, provided we're willing to learn.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
These games happen to everyone, unfortunate that it came against a team like Ottawa but I'd rather us look like this against them than Toronto. Carey seems a little off, I think we should continue to rotate until he finds his form, elite goalies don't just lose it. Once the playoffs start coming up I'm confident he'll step up.

That is the issue with Price, he does not like to share the 1st spot (see Halak's situation at the time) and he gets motivated for important games, but he did not have one convincing game since the start of the year. When you have a 10m goalies he needs to steal points when your team has a night off. He just does not deliver right now.

Many people defend him because he is Carez Price but he is paid 10+m, everybody would complain if McDavid was scoring 40 points a season, Price playing like a standard goalie is the equivalent.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That is the issue with Price, he does not like to share the 1st spot (see Halak's situation at the time) and he gets motivated for important games, but he did not have one convincing game since the start of the year. When you have a 10m goalies he needs to steal points when your team has a night off. He just does not deliver right now.

Many people defend him because he is Carez Price but he is paid 10+m, everybody would complain if McDavid was scoring 40 points a season, Price playing like a standard goalie is the equivalent.
In all of the years I have been watching him I have learned to pay attention to his body language on the ice. When he is off you can easily see it, the way he plays the puck is especially telling. He often gets into trouble outside of the crease, he looks indecisive, casual. When he gets scored on, he looks unready almost a step behind if you will, and that's what I have seen from him so far in this covid season.

2 of the goals last night should not have been scored, when he is "on' he doesn't give those up and he often makes saves that he should not make and that's where he gets his reputation as the best in the world. I have never been a fan of a big contract goalie, I would rather have two low profile guys like Jake Allen and spend the money elsewhere to help the team. Price will snap out of it, 3 kids at home now and one being a newborn. I am sure he has a hectic lifestyle and a crazy-ass wife that won't give him any slack. I don't know her but that's my impression of her.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Price again subpar. Nothing new for the last couple of years.
I thought only a few guys looked ready in this game. Gallagher of course, Anderson, Evans.
third game in 4 nights. It happens. No worries. Watch saturday and see how they respond. although that will be 4 in 6. Not easy for a fast pace team.
Hope Allen is in net Saturday. Better chance to win.
Strutzle will be a stud in this league. He's not scared at all and has speed and mad skills. Way better than our last two third overall picks KK and chucky.
what a way to dishonor a ceremony for Weber. It happens though. Cant believe the panic over one game.
When Gainey was GM they had a ceremony to retire his number before a game against Columbus. How did the Habs respond? They got shut out by Pascal Leclaire.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
:soap:

- Pre-game ceremony + 3rd jersey + last place team ... we had no chance. :sarcasm:
- Didn’t really turn it up a notch until short handed with 3 minutes left .... and it was almost enough.
- I’ll save my evaluation of Price for when team is playing well and the games matter most down the stretch and into the playoffs.
- I thought it was a bad sign that the 4th line turned it over 3 times in the neutral zone on the first shift. Couldn’t get it deep. Too cute.
- the PP was disappointing. Faceoffs, poor reads with the puck, bad zone entries, shooting into shin pads, etc.
- Danault had himself a good game. Hopefully it’s the start of something.
- Romanov ... I’ve been waiting for that hit!
- 5 3rd overall picks in the game. Gudbranson, chucky, Drouin, KK, Stutzle. Would be nice to have Stutzle, but we should be happy to have KK.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
This is exactly what I feared. The Habs have looked good, but other teams they have played were focused on goal scoring. The Sens have nothing to lose, so they trap trap trap. The amazing breakout the Habs had going, had a really hard time against the trap. That’s hockey. The Habs are a better team, but you see what happens when they aren’t getting all kinds of odd man rushes like they had in the previous 10 games.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
In all of the years I have been watching him I have learned to pay attention to his body language on the ice. When he is off you can easily see it, the way he plays the puck is especially telling. He often gets into trouble outside of the crease, he looks indecisive, casual. When he gets scored on, he looks unready almost a step behind if you will, and that's what I have seen from him so far in this covid season.

2 of the goals last night should not have been scored, when he is "on' he doesn't give those up and he often makes saves that he should not make and that's where he gets his reputation as the best in the world. I have never been a fan of a big contract goalie, I would rather have two low profile guys like Jake Allen and spend the money elsewhere to help the team. Price will snap out of it, 3 kids at home now and one being a newborn. I am sure he has a hectic lifestyle and a crazy-ass wife that won't give him any slack. I don't know her but that's my impression of her.

I think Price will end up on LTIR as soon as he feels like there is no chance left to win the Cup. When Subban was traded, I thought Price may follow that would have made sense you refuse to pay 9m to a D, and then they sign him to 10.5m contract ? Bergevin has made the team better since then but he has made mistakes and this was one of them. I believe if Bergevin was not so much in love with Price, he would ask him to waive his NMC for Seattle : it is close from home for Price, and Seattle may want to add a star player from the beginning.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I’m not going to hit the panic Button as Habs still had a quite a few more chances and out shot them 38-22. But what concerns me is Price. I know he’s a notoriously slow starter, but I’ve seen him more reliant on angles and positioning than ever and less on being reactionary. It’s almost like didn’t even think it was a possibility on those first two goals that they were going low blocker. I know it’s been a big part of his success but I swear the dude is to chill in net

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You put a larger cognitive load on players when processing the game when you switch for an unusual jersey color. They have automatism associated with colors which aren't functional anymore (on top of Ottawa having something pretty close to our away jersey) (yes, I know they are used to different home/away jerseys, their brain developed neural pathways associated with both, but blue is something new for the brain to interpret, something that is usually associated with some opposite teams).
It is a bit like we switch road directions (or you go drive in UK), you'll have to think a lot more, it will affect your driving, your time reaction won't be the same, and since you think more about what used to be automatism, you'll have less cognitive space for other tasks, for creative thinking. It might sound dump saying the jersey color affected the team performance, but it does make a difference.

Yeah I'm superstitious too. :sarcasm:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Sens didn’t deserve the game. I’m not sure what you guys saw.

MoneyPuck.com

According to analytics this was the most one-sided game of the year. My personal eye test doesn’t agree with that but Habs dominated hard in first and third. Lack of conversion,good game by Murray and bad game by Price sealed the deal. Let’s not overreact.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think Price will end up on LTIR as soon as he feels like there is no chance left to win the Cup. When Subban was traded, I thought Price may follow that would have made sense you refuse to pay 9m to a D, and then they sign him to 10.5m contract ? Bergevin has made the team better since then but he has made mistakes and this was one of them. I believe if Bergevin was not so much in love with Price, he would ask him to waive his NMC for Seattle : it is close from home for Price, and Seattle may want to add a star player from the beginning.
Price will bounce back, probably when the team is struggling and needs him to stand on his head again, notice that there hasn't been much of that this year? We have been scoring like crazy but that won't last, teams will trap us and we will struggle to score, we will need him to bail us out and he will.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Just a stinker game, they happen in a long season. It's annoying for fans but you just shake it off and move on to the next game.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Suzuki was being fancy and KK decided that fighting for the puck on the boards was useless. And they had major FO problems. No focus explains everything. That's what happens when you get comfy at home.

BTW, team still has issues at the Bell Centre.
It's funny that you say that, I always prefer watching this team on the road, I don't feel like we get that jump from being on home ice. This year there aren't any fans in the stands so it certainly has nothing to do with pressure to perform. The games broadcast from the old forum always had more energy, the Bell center never had that, same as the Leaf's new building, no atmosphere in many of these new arenas.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He can't see the puck, searches for it all the time. Is not agressive enough. This is symptomatic of a goalie who lacks rythm. Not sure he's the type of goalie that will thrive by playing less games.

Price was stellar in the PO's,why? because he was alone,no wife,kids,dogs,no commuting. All those things can suck the life right out of you.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We lost this game in 38sec...finish the F*$% period !
There is no reason the team should have just fallen apart like that even after 2 quick goals by sens. Especially an experienced and well balanced team like Habs. It seems like they just stopped at that point. The coach should have done something. The writing was on the wall.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So what you're saying is... :)

tenor.gif

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Possibly the greatest Habs team of all (75-76) that lost 11-games during an entire season got clocked by a Caps team that only won 11 times all season...file under s*it happens.

Now if Habs show no urgency on Sat, then there likely are potentially larger issues..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad