Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to last placed Senators | Detroit 2.0?

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
When the team struggled in third period against TOR ? against OTT ? The game MTL lost to VAN ? In all those games he has been below average. Yesterday two to three goals should have been stopped by an elite goalie. He was very good again during the last playoffs but he was not worth 10.5m. Does he wait for the playoffs to play ?

I agree with this. The first 2 goals were the kind of goals that 'goalies would like to see again' as they said. You expect much better from Price. Now it's one thing to have an off night once in a while, but he's had mostly off nights so far since the beginning of the season.

That being said, the whole game was just painful to watch. Kudos to Ottawa for coming out with the 2 points, but I was not impress with them either. Compared to all the other games I've watched since the start of the season, yesterday was the first one I was wondering whether it was the ECHL teams playing. The puck looked like a hot potato that was bouncing around, and could not find their sticks. The whole game looked very bad for both sides, but Ottawa managed those 2 goals late in the first period and ran away with the win.

I don't know if it was just one of those nights, but I don't think it is fair to blame only Price (or Suzuki). Except for the Danault/Gallagher/Tatar line, everyone else could be pointed at.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Every team's starter has ups and downs and fans reaction to it on every board here is the same.Price has a large target on his back because of his contract and that is understandable, he will snap out of it.

He had a target on his back before the contract. People were tearing him apart in 16/17 and many times before his peak as well. Goaltenders have been the scapegoat of this team for so long. We have a spoiled fanbase. What we need is about 6-10 years of Raycroft’s and Toskala’s to help certain people realize what a good thing we had.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I don't know if it was just one of those nights, but I don't think it is fair to blame only Price (or Suzuki). Except for the Danault/Gallagher/Tatar line, everyone else could be pointed at.
To the point I agree, except that not everyone gets paid 10M. I don't think it's unfair to expect that the higher you get paid the great is your impact and contribution on ANY GIVEN NIGHT (because you get paid for every single night)... Suzuki is a promising very young player that will continue to learn and who doesn't even have a benefit of an experienced vet to mentor him in his position and role. Carey... well... Carey is in the league and mind of his own and lately it is so much harder to stomach his performance.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
He had a target on his back before the contract. People were tearing him apart in 16/17 and many times before his peak as well. Goaltenders have been the scapegoat of this team for so long. We have a spoiled fanbase. What we need is about 6-10 years of Raycroft’s and Toskala’s to help certain people realize what a good thing we had.
How is that we are a spoiled fanbase? With exception of folks who are now in their golden years there is nobody who's even seen this team win the cup. It's getting close to 30 years without a cup or even a sniff of the cup. Yeah, we've been spoiled, alright...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To the point I agree, except that not everyone gets paid 10M. I don't think it's unfair to expect that the higher you get paid the great is your impact and contribution on ANY GIVEN NIGHT (because you get paid for every single night)... Suzuki is a promising very young player that will continue to learn and who doesn't even have a benefit of an experienced vet to mentor him in his position and role. Carey... well... Carey is in the league and mind of his own and lately it is so much harder to stomach his performance.
Given our record, it's much easier to stomach. Im not too worried though, he's been like that since the start and we still have a team capable of handling his shortcomings. If he played the same with last years team, we probably fighting for a .500 record, then again, Price seems to be better when he's challenged more often.
Im confident he'll rise up to the occasion when it's needed though.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How is that we are a spoiled fanbase? With exception of folks who are now in their golden years there is nobody who's even seen this team win the cup. It's getting close to 30 years without a cup or even a sniff of the cup. Yeah, we've been spoiled, alright...

We have been spoiled when it comes to goaltending even after the Roy trade. You should re read what my point was. Id say the Thibault era was the only time it felt like we had crippling goaltending. But it was short lived. It seems we always have somebody come in hot until he gets cold and then his replacement comes in hot and rinse and repeat. Hackett to Theodore to Huet to Price/Halak to Price. We always seem have to have at least one goaltender going each season. The 06/07 season with Huet and Aeibischer is the only duo since the Thibault days that I can remember being unsatisfied with the goaltending. So yes, we have been spoiled. There will likely come a time where our luck runs out in that area. Only then will Price get respect.

Reactions: Pickles

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Ugh...I hate this quote.

I don't think the Habs took them lightly at all, they dominated that game but they just couldn't finish and/or Matt Murray played his best game of the season.

I really hope the overall attitude of the team isn't that they need to be humble because any team in the NHL can beat them if they work harder then them.

They had a good start, but they aren't the Tampa Bay Lightning here...what have you accomplished to feel so entitled?

I really hope he's not speaking for the collective here.
What? His line was the only line that was constantly buzzing in the offensive zone and generating chances!

Nothing wrong with that quote.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What? His line was the only line that was constantly buzzing in the offensive zone and generating chances!

Nothing wrong with that quote.
I wasn't talking about his line vs the Sens...

I just hate the idea that anyone on the Habs would admit they took the Sens lightly or how they need to stay humble.

They didn't win a Cup...they're not the Lightning, the Habs shouldn't be taking anyone lightly right now.

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If you give a .901 peecent you would have been fired? I guess all your colegues would have been fired too if I follow your logic?

When the average is .911 for the previous years.......yes. Performing well below average for years would and should lead to dismissal.

Keep moving the goalposts though.......

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
:soap:

- Pre-game ceremony + 3rd jersey + last place team ... we had no chance. :sarcasm:
- Didn’t really turn it up a notch until short handed with 3 minutes left .... and it was almost enough.
- I’ll save my evaluation of Price for when team is playing well and the games matter most down the stretch and into the playoffs.
- I thought it was a bad sign that the 4th line turned it over 3 times in the neutral zone on the first shift. Couldn’t get it deep. Too cute.
- the PP was disappointing. Faceoffs, poor reads with the puck, bad zone entries, shooting into shin pads, etc.
- Danault had himself a good game. Hopefully it’s the start of something.
- Romanov ... I’ve been waiting for that hit!
- 5 3rd overall picks in the game. Gudbranson, chucky, Drouin, KK, Stutzle. Would be nice to have Stutzle, but we should be happy to have KK.
why are people so afraid to "evaluate Price". He's subpar right now and overall numbers and analytics subpar for years.

Jul 6, 2016
why are people so afraid to "evaluate Price". He's subpar right now and overall numbers and analytics subpar for years.

He was great in July during the Pandemic Playoffs.... But had no help from his teamates offensively.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He was great in July during the Pandemic Playoffs.... But had no help from his teamates offensively.
He was excellent during the playoffs no doubt. However,
Over the past three seasons, 77 goalies have logged 1,000-plus minutes at 5-on-5. Among that group, Price ranks 39th in save percentage; 41st in goals saved above average per 60 minutes; 54th in high-danger SP; 53rd in medium-danger SP; and 32nd in low-danger SP. Diving down to the deepest part of the analytics ocean reveals metrics such as shot location that indicate Price was actually quite good in 2018-19, but if you look at the larger three-year sample, the stats would suggest he barely grades out as a league-average goalie despite the NHLPA picking him as the world’s No. 1 every time.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I agree with this. The first 2 goals were the kind of goals that 'goalies would like to see again' as they said. You expect much better from Price. Now it's one thing to have an off night once in a while, but he's had mostly off nights so far since the beginning of the season.

That being said, the whole game was just painful to watch. Kudos to Ottawa for coming out with the 2 points, but I was not impress with them either. Compared to all the other games I've watched since the start of the season, yesterday was the first one I was wondering whether it was the ECHL teams playing. The puck looked like a hot potato that was bouncing around, and could not find their sticks. The whole game looked very bad for both sides, but Ottawa managed those 2 goals late in the first period and ran away with the win.

Fully agreed with what you said, most players were not playing at their level. The first line could have scored more with a bit of luck / Murray playing as he had done against EDM. I criticize Price because he is the one making 10.5 and being bad since the start of the season, MTL has been winning despite him and not thanks to him.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
That is the issue with Price, he does not like to share the 1st spot (see Halak's situation at the time) and he gets motivated for important games, but he did not have one convincing game since the start of the year. When you have a 10m goalies he needs to steal points when your team has a night off. He just does not deliver right now.

Many people defend him because he is Carez Price but he is paid 10+m, everybody would complain if McDavid was scoring 40 points a season, Price playing like a standard goalie is the equivalent.
Though I do agree with you about the 10m goalies needing to steal points, I don't agree that this is the same situation as when Halak was here. At the time Carey was young and had to prove he could be elite and the only way would be, was if he was given the full #1 goalie trust. At this point in his career I'm sure he understands that he's still THE guy but we need to manage his work load if we want him at his best for when the games really matter.

Also, there've been a few seasons that I can remember where Price has started the season very slow, I don't know why that is and my memory could be wrong but this doesn't feel new to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad