Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to isles on short side OT goal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think the Canadiens are currently built or trying to eek out wins however they can. They're clearly developing their guys.

With all due respect, I think they're doing everything that you want them to do but short of them losing every single game, you'd have the same concern.

Aside from benching their top guys, which would cause a different kind of investigation, I don't know how much more the Habs can do in terms of "tanking"

It's been repeated over and over, but the Habs inexperience on defense has been unprecedented for the last two years. Their top line also consists of two of their more youthful guys, and their top 4 forwards in general are also youthful.

It's clear that they are trying to build their youth, and whatever wins and losses that happen along the way are incidental to what they are really trying to do.

Reactions: holy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Absolutely. But instead of focusing on simply trying to win games for the sake of winning, to rather focus on finding new strategies that might/might not work. If they win, they win. If they don't, they learned something.
But what strategies can you realistically employ for future success when the roster construction at present doesn’t reflect what next years reality will be - having a 2nd line expected to generate offense led by a 6’4” player who has missed the entire season can’t be game planned at present

With Dach in the lineup, Habs have anywhere from 10-12 more pts putting them in final wild card contention spot

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You're absolutely right with everything you said. But I keep reading and hearing that the Habs are done rebuilding, and that the fans and media are ready to see us perform and go further - which is understandable.

As for changing their approach, I explained later "when the season ends without making the playoffs, that's the perfect time to experiment with new playing styles, test new player pairings to build chemistry, and boost the younger players' confidence while addressing their weaknesses."
The rebuild will be done when it’s done. Teams can declare it’s over all they want but if you aren’t winning games it doesn’t matter.

I think we’ll see a big improvement next year but our D is still super green and Dach is now a health concern.

I don’t think we make the playoffs until maybe 25-26 and we’ll get better from there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You don't make the pinnacle of a sport without being highly competitive. There's also no way the players are gonna cost themselves money, future contracts etc in the NHL by trying not to produce in games.

Asking the team to quit is delusional. They're trying to build something and probably don't care about the difference between Iginla and Catton as much as you guys do.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You don't make the pinnacle of a sport without being highly competitive. There's also no way the players are gonna cost themselves money, future contracts etc in the NHL by trying not to produce in games.

Asking the team to quit is delusional. They're trying to build something and probably don't care about the difference between Iginla and Catton as much as you guys do.
PREACH!!! No Aba.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Reading this thread it seems like only ~3 people watched the paint dry for us all lmao

Suzuki with the elite tank job on this goal. Thank you captain.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why only 15 shots on goal?

Are we so involved in defense and forechecking that we are forgetting offense?
Actually, over the course of the game, I thought that we had as many, if not more, good scoring chances as did the Islanders. I think the weight of the season is getting to Suzuki who shanked a number of chances that are usually sure goals for him. Suzuki, Armia and Anderson all missed clear breakaways and we would (should) have won the game in overtime if Caufield had been on that 2 on 1. We had more than enough scoring chances despite having only 15 'official' shots. We had more shots from my perspective.

The Islanders loss of Dobson made their power play look as feeble, if not worse, than ours.

If Dobson's injury prevents him from playing, the Islanders' playoff hopes are nonexistent.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Actually, over the course of the game, I thought that we had as many, if not more, good scoring chances as did the Islanders. I think the weight of the season is getting to Suzuki who shanked a number of chances that are usually sure goals for him.

I relish seldom used words like “shanked”.

Nicely done, good Sir.

habbubba

Jan 19, 2024
Hey there @Rozz, saw that you replied but that thread got locked so doing things this way to be cordial.
Sure hope the dinner was better than that crappy game. Montreal could only get 14 shots where as the previous game they got 9 goals. Fell asleep watching it when I got in, that never happens, it shouldn't, it's hockey for f***s sake.!!!!!
It occurred to me that this site is for hockey talk, and most know that real hockey consists of intensity, speed, hitting, violence, spitting, blood at times, and lots and lots of swearing. You'd think that the since the fans here are accepting of that and can handle that but some how,how some sentences are made from a keyboard using some words and phrased using punctuation, suddenly the puritan pansies get all hot and bothered, just find that kind of funny. Wouldn't surprise me if there were more than a few dweebs around here that could get held up through the mail. Maybe now I'll go and lurk and don the guise of a disciplinarian as well and seek out unsavory commentary and commence a scolding. Enjoy the playoffs,ciao

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
hey @habbubba , dinner was fantastic, thanks for asking! we did a nice poached cod with a lemon dill risotto ... turned out great!

as far as the hockey game... i was rooting for the loss to help us secure that bottom 5 finish... so while the game sucked the results were ideal. for me at least lol

and yes hockey is a Hella aggressive and down right nasty game at times, which we all f***ing love! it's the way the game should be!

Commenting on it on a hockey board can sometimes call for similar nastiness (depending on the poster, lol) i personally, try to be polite & civil to start.... if the responding party wants to get nasty... depending on my mood, I sometimes can be more than willing to engage lmao.. but then i think of the other posters who are on here to read about hockey stuff and not my personal argument with another poster... usually snaps me out of it lol

plus, I get most of my agression out at work. being a chef I already do alot of yelling lmao.

How was your reffing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad