Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to isles on short side OT goal

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
The players and coaches don't care if the habs first round pick is a couple of spots lower...

They should really think about changing their approach, especially if they want to start winning big. It's not about embracing a losing mentality, but when the season ends without making the playoffs, that's the perfect time to experiment with new playing styles, test new player pairings to build chemistry, and boost the younger players' confidence while addressing their weaknesses. At this stage, focusing less on winning games can actually be strategic since the lower they finish in the standings, the higher their chances of winning the lottery and securing top draft picks.

For example, last year, if we had finished just one spot lower, we could have drafted Smith. Dropping two spots would have won us the lottery, allowing us to draft Bedard! Even without winning the lottery, we could have selected Fantilli. While Reinbacher is talented, having someone like Bedard, Fantilli, or Smith could have made a huge difference for our team moving forward.

This year, there are several players who would be fantastic for the Habs. I'd love for us to win the lottery, but there are also great forwards who will likely be off the board by our turn. If we continue to fill gaps with subpar picks, we'll never build a strong team, and our top players may eventually seek opportunities elsewhere. We're nearly at a point where we can truly compete, and drafting an elite—or near-elite—forward this year could be pivotal.

So, yes, IMO it is short-sighted to do whatever Montreal is doing right now. If you think otherwise, that's your right, but be prepared to likely miss out on a player who could make a huge difference on our team when we get to draft 8-9th overall.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You would think they would all do their best to tank, instead they're doing their best to win. I understand Ottawa and Arizona being welfare teams trying to give their fans hope for the following season, but Montreal? I think they're just short-sighted AF.

How the hell would you suggest they go about it? You think the players are going to lose on purpose?

They should really think about changing their approach, especially if they want to start winning big. It's not about embracing a losing mentality, but when the season ends without making the playoffs, that's the perfect time to experiment with new playing styles, test new player pairings to build chemistry, and boost the younger players' confidence while addressing their weaknesses. At this stage, focusing less on winning games can actually be strategic since the lower they finish in the standings, the higher their chances of winning the lottery and securing top draft picks.

For example, last year, if we had finished just one spot lower, we could have drafted Smith. Dropping two spots would have won us the lottery, allowing us to draft Bedard! Even without winning the lottery, we could have selected Fantilli. While Reinbacher is talented, having someone like Bedard, Fantilli, or Smith could have made a huge difference for our team moving forward.

This year, there are several players who would be fantastic for the Habs. I'd love for us to win the lottery, but there are also great forwards who will likely be off the board by our turn. If we continue to fill gaps with subpar picks, we'll never build a strong team, and our top players may eventually seek opportunities elsewhere. We're nearly at a point where we can truly compete, and drafting an elite—or near-elite—forward this year could be pivotal.

So, yes, IMO it is short-sighted to do whatever Montreal is doing right now. If you think otherwise, that's your right, but be prepared to likely miss out on a player who could make a huge difference on our team when we get to draft 8-9th overall.

I would pay for someone to bring you into the Habs locker-room, give this speech and watch the reactions.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
How the hell would you suggest they go about it? You think the players are going to lose on purpose?
If you want to read my longer reply just above, as I won't comment on this matter any longer (as I'm likely alone in thinking the way I do, so I'll keep my comments to myself).

I would pay for someone to bring you into the Habs locker-room, give this speech and watch the reactions.
You're likely right. But that doesn't mean I'm absolutely wrong with my assessment. Because 1-2 spots can make a significant difference in a draft. I know it's easier said than done. And asking players to stop playing well is a choice lol. But it's just me venting my frustrations of seeing our team chase wins when we should chase getting the best player we can get.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

At the moment, we're technically a one line team. With an honourable mention to Newhook. Four of our top 6 defensemen are young. It doesn't get anymore "Rebuild" than this. Unless you expected management to follow Chicago's plan.

I'm curious, how do you want them to "Change their approach"?

It's easy to sit here and chant "Tank, Tank, Tank". It's totally different to convince the players to not give 100%. When a lot of them are still fighting for their NHL careers. Or in the case of Suzuki or Caufield. They signed long term, with the idea that the team will continue to get better.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
At the moment, we're technically a one line team. With an honourable mention to Newhook. Four of our top 6 defensemen are young. It doesn't get anymore "Rebuild" than this. Unless you expected management to follow Chicago's plan.

It's easy to sit here and chant "Tank, Tank, Tank". It's totally different to convince the players to not give 100%. When a lot of them are still fighting for their NHL careers. Or in the case of Suzuki or Caufield. They signed long term, with the idea that the team will continue to get better.
You're absolutely right with everything you said. But I keep reading and hearing that the Habs are done rebuilding, and that the fans and media are ready to see us perform and go further - which is understandable.

As for changing their approach, I explained later "when the season ends without making the playoffs, that's the perfect time to experiment with new playing styles, test new player pairings to build chemistry, and boost the younger players' confidence while addressing their weaknesses."

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You're absolutely right with everything you said. But I keep reading and hearing that the Habs are done rebuilding, and that the fans and media are ready to see us perform and go further - which is understandable.

As for changing their approach, I explained later "when the season ends without making the playoffs, that's the perfect time to experiment with new playing styles, test new player pairings to build chemistry, and boost the younger players' confidence while addressing their weaknesses."

Wouldn't what you're suggesting also lead to wins?

Reactions: Habs10Habs

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Wouldn't what your suggesting also lead to wins?
Absolutely. But instead of focusing on simply trying to win games for the sake of winning, to rather focus on finding new strategies that might/might not work. If they win, they win. If they don't, they learned something.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

I think that is more wishful thinking of part of our fan base who is fed up with losing. Taking a closer look, we still have a ways to go before IMO we're truly a competitive team.

I see what you're saying. I think a lot of that has already been happening. Slaf promoted to the first line. Ghule getting top D minutes. There's always room for more changes. But I think we're heading in the right direction with that aspect.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Absolutely. But instead of focusing on simply trying to win games for the sake of winning, to rather focus on finding new strategies that might/might not work. If they win, they win. If they don't, they learned something.

I don't think the Canadiens are currently built or trying to eek out wins however they can. They're clearly developing their guys.

With all due respect, I think they're doing everything that you want them to do but short of them losing every single game, you'd have the same concern.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I think that is more wishful thinking of part of our fan base who is fed up with losing. Taking a closer look, we still have a ways to go before IMO we're truly a competitive team.

I see what you're saying. I think a lot of that has already been happening. Slaf promoted to the first line. Ghule getting top D minutes. There's always room for more changes. But I think we're heading in the right direction with that aspect.
For what it's worth, I do believe in HuGo. They've been very smart with drafting and doing trades. And I think MSL is a breath of fresh air as a coach. I think I've just been disillusioned for hoping/wanting to believe things will finally get better, and that not being the case (of course, the Stanley Cup Final was one of my favourite moments ever - it was so exciting, as I was way too young to remember the '93 run - but it was an anomaly more than anything).

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
For what it's worth, I do believe in HuGo. They've been very smart with drafting and doing trades. And I think MSL is a breath of fresh air as a coach. I think I've just been disillusioned for hoping/wanting to believe things will finally get better, and that not being the case (of course, the Stanley Cup Final was one of my favourite moments ever - it was so exciting, as I was way too young to remember the '93 run - but it was an anomaly more than anything).
We're on the same page ALD. I'm happy with the changes that have been made. Unfortunately I'm not the most patient guy lol So I'd love to see things move faster. I'd be thrilled if we had gotten higher draft picks the last couple of years. But I'm quite happy seeing the progress our team has made.

One of the perks to being old is having the chance to watch some of our previous Cup wins. Something I hope you and our other "Youngins" get to experience. As fun as our Cup loss to Tampa was. It doesn't hold a candle to cheering on a Cup winning team.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
We're on the same page ALD. I'm happy with the changes that have been made. Unfortunately I'm not the most patient guy lol So I'd love to see things move faster. I'd be thrilled if we had gotten higher draft picks the last couple of years. But I'm quite happy seeing the progress our team has made.

One of the perks to being old is having the chance to watch some of our previous Cup wins. Something I hope you and our other "Youngins" get to experience. As fun as our Cup loss to Tampa was. It doesn't hold a candle to cheering on a Cup winning team.
You're obviously nowhere near as impatient as me :laugh:

But I'm glad to have these conversations, because it gives me perspective I wouldn't have thought of otherwise (like re-reading some of the stuff I wrote, I'm like "hmm, Kudo/Spring/you are right" - it's like the expression "easier said than done").

I do hope to experience our beloved Habs winning a Cup. Let's hope for the best with our current management, coaching, and players. I didn't believe in Slafkovsky, and he's been absolutely amazing! I didn't believe in Reinbacher, and he's looking really good in the AHL.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Enjoy the 8-9th overall pick then.
In this, very underrated draft, the difference between 5 OA and 9 OA is marginal. Any player in the top 10 to 12 of this draft will immediately become one of our, or if not top, prospects in our system. What we do with the Winnipeg first round pick will, in this writer's opinion, prove to be more determinative as to the overall strength of our draft.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
In this, very underrated draft, the difference between 5 OA and 9 OA is marginal. Any player in the top 10 to 12 of this draft will immediately become one of our, or if not top, prospects in our system. What we do with the Winnipeg first round pick will, in this writer's opinion, prove to be more determinative as to the overall strength of our draft.
The reasoning of my post is more along the lines "what if we fall 8th overall, and we're looking at 1 of Iginla, Lindstrom, and the obvious top 2 which are Demidov/Celebrini - and all of them are now already picked". It's hard to trade up in the top 10, especially when teams know exactly what they want. But then again, it's way easier said than done how to manage games, etc. And, frankly, as much as many of us try to position ourselves as "experts" (I'm guilty of that), there's a reason they're where they are, and we just have got to trust the process.

Also, to @Kudo Shinichi, I just wanted to let you know after re-reading my comment that I feel bad for the replying to you as cold as I have - I honestly didn't mean it to come across snarky as it looks.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
You're obviously nowhere near as impatient as me :laugh:

But I'm glad to have these conversations, because it gives me perspective I wouldn't have thought of otherwise (like re-reading some of the stuff I wrote, I'm like "hmm, Kudo/Spring/you are right" - it's like the expression "easier said than done").

I do hope to experience our beloved Habs winning a Cup. Let's hope for the best with our current management, coaching, and players. I didn't believe in Slafkovsky, and he's been absolutely amazing! I didn't believe in Reinbacher, and he's looking really good in the AHL.
Lol they say you become more patient in your old age. I'm still waiting for that to happen.

That's the beauty of this site. I enjoy reading opinions, even if I don't always agree. We're quite lucky to have posters like the gentleman above me @ChesterNimitz . Who have been involved in hockey for many many years. As well as newer posters, who provide a fresh new outlook. The great thing about this site is I personally learn things from both groups.

After many years of suffering. I can totally relate to the posters who are still "gun shy". I'm fairly positive, but I still question choices our management team have made. Sometimes I've been right, other times I've thankfully been wrong. As for now, I believe we're heading in the right direction. So hopefully together as one large group. We'll all get to experience another Cup win.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019

The "competitive integrity" side of the coin is important too. If the NHL feels a whiff of losing on purpose, I feel they would be very heavy-handed in their punishment. Like Shane Pinto heavy-handed.

If you look at it from the angle of sport betting, which is probably the biggest sponsor in the league, it can be seen as match fixing. Then, for teams that are in the race for the playoffs but don't play the voluntary losing team, it's an unfair disadvantage

As fans, it's easy to say to lose on purpose, but I have the feeling the league is very much not on board with it, especially at the end of the season

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The "competitive integrity" side of the coin is important too. If the NHL feels a whiff of losing on purpose, I feel they would be very heavy-handed in their punishment. Like Shane Pinto heavy-handed.

If you look at it from the angle of sport betting, which is probably the biggest sponsor in the league, it can be seen as match fixing. Then, for teams that are in the race for the playoffs but don't play the voluntary losing team, it's an unfair disadvantage

As fans, it's easy to say to lose on purpose, but I have the feeling the league is very much not on board with it, especially at the end of the season
Thank you. That's another aspect that I didn't even think of. Well said!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad