Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Canadiens legend DeSmith and the Canucks

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Mailloux, Hutson, Reinbacher, Dach, Roy, 2025 1st, Beck, F. Xhekaj, Fowler, we just got to be patient, hopefully help is on the way
Outside of possibly Dach, I don't see a single name that's a clear top6 forward with the potential to be a first liner.

That's where out problem is, clearly.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I really don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think you have a good grasp on how the Canucks have been doing since Rutherford and Allvin took over.

The Canucks have a record of 64-30-12 under Tocchet. That's far more than just a bump.
Funny a difference coaching can make.

Reactions: rik schau

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Outside of possibly Dach, I don't see a single name that's a clear top6 forward with the potential to be a first liner.

Roy has not shown anything to indicate he isn't, he's ahead of Shane Wright, for example. I don't think anyone would say at this point Wright doesn't still have 1st line potential.

They are going to add another 1st line potential forward with their 1st this year, they'll have UFA opportunities and plenty of trade opportunities with an abundance of prospect and pick capital.

We already have 3 players playing at a 1st line level too.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy has not shown anything to indicate he isn't, he's ahead of Shane Wright, for example. I don't think anyone would say at this point Wright doesn't still have 1st line potential.

They are going to add another 1st line potential forward with their 1st this year, they'll have UFA opportunities and plenty of trade opportunities with an abundance of prospect and pick capital.

LOL
Anyone who watched last night's game should have been able to see immediately what wasn't happening with that second line that was previously when Joshua Roy was in the lineup. At both ends of the rink I might add.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I really don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think you have a good grasp on how the Canucks have been doing since Rutherford and Allvin took over.

The Canucks have a record of 64-30-12 under Tocchet. That's far more than just a bump.
At some point, once most of the pieces are acquired, this team will have to change from having Marty as a coach to having more of a hardass like Tocchet if they want to take another step.

Being a great communicator and friends with all of your players is nice for development, but at some point it will grow stale and they will stagnate.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
At some point, once most of the pieces are acquired, this team will have to change from having Marty as a coach to having more of a hardass like Tocchet if they want to take another step.

Being a great communicator and friends with all of your players is nice for development, but at some point it will grow stale and they will stagnate.
Before that happens we really need to limit the number of Schtroumpfs we dress in any given game.

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For sure, I can easily see the Canucks flaming out in the first round, particularly if they face Vegas. There are probably 5 other teams in the West that have just as good a chance as the Canucks to advance to the SCF.

Last September, I thought they'd do well just to make the playoffs. I'm just enjoying the ride at this point. :)

*Edit: a fully healthy Vegas ;)

I think the Canucks likely get out of the first round. The 2nd round could mean a meeting with Edmonton which would just be a spectacle and long overdue. I still like the Canucks chances against Edmonton too.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I find this upcoming draft very important for our ongoing re-build. Not because of our first pick, because it would appear that we will be drafting in the no-mans region of 6 OA to 9 OA (a range just beyond where we could have secured one of the elite forwards available), but what we do with the Winnipeg first round pick.

This draft is much deeper than many pundits claim. There are a number of players ( Vannaker , Luchenko, Beaudoin and Sennecke) who should be available at the bottom of the first round and would instantly become our top forward prospect.

I hope Hughes is circumspect, if not judicious, in his use of this pick and doesn’t trade same in an overreaching effort to secure an immediate upgrade to our forward depth. As one poster sagely noted, there are few, if any, reasonably priced players who can individually and materially change the fortunes of this team.

This is the time to exercise patience. As hard as that may be for some of our fan base.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I find this upcoming draft very important for our ongoing re-build. Not because of our first pick, because it would appear that we will be drafting in the no-mans region of 6 OA to 9 OA (a range just beyond where we could have secured one of the elite forwards available), but what we do with the Winnipeg first round pick.

This draft is much deeper than many pundits claim. There are a number of players ( Vannaker , Luchenko, Beaudoin and Sennecke) who should be available at the bottom of the first round and would instantly become our top forward prospect.

I hope Hughes is circumspect, if not judicious, in his use of this pick and doesn’t trade same in an overreaching effort to secure an immediate upgrade to our forward depth. As one poster sagely noted, there are few, if any, reasonably priced players who can individually and materially change the fortunes of this team.

This is the time to exercise patience. As hard as that may be for some of our fan base.
Patience...............such a hard thing right now, with this team................but yes, it's the right thing, to be patient with the picks and the development process.

The media and fan expectations are always in a hurry, and I get that too.......................we are seeing some progress this season, which has been great.

I think the young Dmen and the excess of them, will be how we make a trade this summer for forward help............I hope he keeps his picks in the 1st round.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
One line team right now..............
This says it all.

As I have noted, the fact that we have remained largely competitive is a testament as to how good that first line is and how mobile our defence is. If we get competent goaltending we should be in most games even against top teams. But if that goaltending slips a little, like that third Canucks goal, we have little chance of winning. We don’t have the talent and quick strike offensive ability to comeback.

Our margin for error is very slim. It’s Hughes’ main task to increase that margin by upgrading the talent depth of our forward group. There’s no one more patient than this old writer, but the thoughts of watching White , Pearson, etc. for an extended period longer is unsettling for even me.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This says it all.

As I have noted, the fact that we have remained largely competitive is a testament as to how good that first line is and how mobile our defence is. If we get competent goaltending we should be in most games even against top teams. But if that goaltending slips a little, like that third Canucks goal, we have little chance of winning. We don’t have the talent and quick strike offensive ability to comeback.

Our margin for error is very slim. It’s Hughes’ main task to increase that margin by upgrading the talent depth of our forward group. There’s no one more patient than this old writer, but the thoughts of watching White , Pearson, etc. for an extended period longer is unsettling for even me.
Our bottom 6 needs some serious upgrades.
That along with the potential of a Anderson rebound next year, and Dvorak healthy with Armia who both should put on a show next year, for another contract.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The rest of the moves were all depth moves. Not the kind of moves that explain a team going from the 11th worst team in the league to the best team in the league. Any team could easily make those kind of additions/subtractions.
Canucks fan here:

You're certainly right that the moves the Canucks made weren't at the top of their roster, but in the Canucks circumstances they filled a need. The Canucks already had the top of their roster pretty well fleshed out in Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Hughes and Demko, though the Demko and Boeser we see this season is different than the Demko and Boeser of last season. The team's main weakness was the defence and the additions of Hronek, Soucy, Zadorov and Cole and the improvement of Juulsen as a playable #7 have completely turned the Canucks' defence from an embarrassing weakness to a position that can hold its own when healthy. They also had problems with depth scoring at forward so "depth moves" as you call them are what they mostly needed up front.

Similarly, the coaching change has made a huge difference. Team management made it clear before the 2022-2023 season they didn't want Boudreau so he was coaching as a lame duck. They've gone from having a clearly lame duck temporary coach to a guy who does the systems and teaching work that the management team is seeking and clearly has the confidence of pretty much everyone-management, players, fans and media.

This is a much tougher team to deal with than the early season 2022-2023 Canucks and that is clear both from results and from the eye test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Canucks are a much better team. It shows how far this lineup is from competing. They more or less neutralized our one offensive line and the other lines couldn't get anything going at all in the O zone.

We seriously need an injection of skill up front. We can't get anything goin against high level teams.

Fans also don't want to keep being bad enough to pick in the lottery frequently to get lots of talent or be patient for guys to develop. In the last 11 drafts, Vancouver has had 7 top 10 pick (one going to Arizona in the awful OEL trade), plus another two lottery picks.

Rebuilds take time, especially when cap mismanagement rules out a lot of potential moves. People like to look at good teams and forget about how long it takes to get to that point.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017

Habs already have a 1st line that are going to keep getting better. Dach can anchor the second line with hopefully a top 5 2025 pick on his wing. Roy could be a good complementary piece if his progression continues of a FA can take that last top 6 spot. All the other forwards are for some solid depth. Reinbacher has top 2 potential, Mailloux top 4, Hutson could be a unicorn if his game translate. Fowler has #1 potential imo

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I got into it a bit with a Canucks fan sitting next to me. The scoreboard had a dad wearing a Habs jersey and his son wearing a Canucks one and they were asking them questions about the Habs and Canucks franchises - the Canucks kid got softball questions and the Habs dad got stuff like who was the Habs captain for the 1915-16 season. Funny little bit but they then ask the dad what time of the game was the 93 cup winner scored. So I helpfully said loudly they should ask when the Canucks scored their Cup winner. So guy next to me starts lecturing me that most of the 24 Cups were won when there are just 6 teams blah blah blah. All fair pts but I just said, it's a weird flex to make fun of a guy for not knowing the time when his team scored their last cup winner when your franchise has never won one. I just thought it was funny.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I got into it a bit with a Canucks fan sitting next to me. The scoreboard had a dad wearing a Habs jersey and his son wearing a Canucks one and they were asking them questions about the Habs and Canucks franchises - the Canucks kid got softball questions and the Habs dad got stuff like who was the Habs captain for the 1915-16 season. Funny little bit but they then ask the dad what time of the game was the 93 cup winner scored. So I helpfully said loudly they should ask when the Canucks scored their Cup winner. So guy next to me starts lecturing me that most of the 24 Cups were won when there are just 6 teams blah blah blah. All fair pts but I just said, it's a weird flex to make fun of a guy for not knowing the time when his team scored their last cup winner when your franchise has never won one. I just thought it was funny.
Be proud of your team: regardless of its current struggles. I have, since the early 1950s, when Vancouver was nothing more than a fishing village.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad