Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Canadiens legend DeSmith and the Canucks

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
We lack forecheckers who hit Dmen to create turn overs, and the team lacks speed to forecheck well a different way so in the end we have guys playing more conservatively to not get caught but it makes us very non physical up front. We need better versions of pezzetta. Motor, foot speed, sandpaper. Florian will be helpful
F.Xhekaj, Beck and hopefully Tuch too.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Habs suck but saw my bud Steve after 35 years so all good

Attachments

• IMG_9676.jpeg
    IMG_9676.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 1

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think for what we have on our roster now, we played well against one of the best teams in the NHL. The wind came out of our sails when Garland scored that rather malodorous third goal. I have been watching this team for almost seventy years and I haven't seen a weaker lines 2, 3 and 4 on this team. I suspect that they would have trouble playing effectively in the AHL let alone in the NHL.

I thought Harris had one of his best games of the year and Guhle was a real team leader tonight. I don't think it helped mixing up the pairings but generally, the defence played well against a heavy, fast and skilled team. It is becoming apparent, at least to this writer, that the heavy load ( playing time) that has been placed on Matheson's shoulders has finally caught up to him as his skating is no where near as crisp and fluid as it was in the first 3/4's of the season.

As I posted here before, our elite players are very good and allow us to compete in most games. But that level of talent is very thin. Unless we add to the bottom three lines , these unfortunate results will not change.

Dach should help, but they will also start next year without a Monahan kind of vet, who was a reliable producer (when healthy). They will probably be hoping for some of the youth to help round out the depth but they will naturally be volatile.

But it's all relative. The bottom end of the playoffs in the east is a snail's race featuring teams that I don't think are very good, and it may well happen again next year.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
40% of the Canucks' current best roster is different from last year. Allvin has done a lot more than simply swap out Horvat for Hronek.

The rest of the moves were all depth moves. Not the kind of moves that explain a team going from the 11th worst team in the league to the best team in the league. Any team could easily make those kind of additions/subtractions.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I really think they were underachieving last year. They also lost the coach bump that Boudreau initially gave them and relied too much on demko who got hurt.

This year is the new coach bump from tocchet and now they are overachieving.

The true Canucks are somewhere in the middle of the last two versions we have seen.
I really don't want to derail this thread, but I don't think you have a good grasp on how the Canucks have been doing since Rutherford and Allvin took over.

The Canucks have a record of 64-30-12 under Tocchet. That's far more than just a bump.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I really think they were underachieving last year. They also lost the coach bump that Boudreau initially gave them and relied too much on demko who got hurt.

This year is the new coach bump from tocchet and now they are overachieving.

The true Canucks are somewhere in the middle of the last two versions we have seen.
Been hearing that all season. Teams don't overachieve for 70 games, nevermind the fact they were top 5 last year after Tochett took over.
People said that last year didn't matter because the last 30 games were meaningless, then this year literally every algorithm that shit on the nucks was used against them.
They are an elite team.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The rest of the moves were all depth moves. Not the kind of moves that explain a team going from the 11th worst team in the league to the best team in the league. Any team could easily make those kind of additions/subtractions.

So why don't they, if it's so easy?

To repeat, nearly half the Canucks' roster is completely different this season. Depth moves are extremely important when you have an elite core.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Been hearing that all season. Teams don't overachieve for 70 games, nevermind the fact they were top 5 last year after Tochett took over.
People said that last year didn't matter because the last 30 games were meaningless, then this year literally every algorithm that shit on the nucks was used against them.
They are an elite team.

Time will tell. This is tocchet's first full season unless I'm really losing my mind.

I don't think the west has a clear favourite, or at least one that I'm comfortable enough to declare. They can make a run.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Time will tell. This is tocchet's first full season unless I'm really losing my mind.

I don't think the west has a clear favourite, or at least one that I'm comfortable enough to declare. They can make a run.

For sure, I can easily see the Canucks flaming out in the first round, particularly if they face Vegas. There are probably 5 other teams in the West that have just as good a chance as the Canucks to advance to the SCF.

Last September, I thought they'd do well just to make the playoffs. I'm just enjoying the ride at this point. :)

*Edit: a fully healthy Vegas ;)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
So why don't they, if it's so easy?

To repeat, nearly half the Canucks' roster is completely different this season. Depth moves are extremely important when you have an elite core.

Because its pointless to change so many depth players for basically the same quality of depth players? If anything doing that many changes would usually cause more harm than good since it would affect the chemistry of the team.

Do you seriously think that acquiring players like Soucy, Suter, Blueger, and Cole is difficult? And that these players played a big part in the canucks going from a bottom team to a top team?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Because its pointless to change so many depth players for basically the same quality of depth players? If anything doing that many changes would usually cause more harm than good since it would affect the chemistry of the team.

Do you seriously think that acquiring players like Soucy, Suter, Blueger, and Cole is difficult? And that these players played a big part in the canucks going from a bottom team to a top team?
Absolutely. If you don't believe me, just google the Canucks' record when Soucy is in the lineup.

Prior to the injury to Joshua, Blueger was centering an absolutely killer 3rd line. If Miller's line or Pettersson's line didn't score, Blueger's line would surely do so. But usually all three lines did damage.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Rebuilding the D was crucial.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is me at 5:30 am after going to bed at 10:15 pm just after puck drop....

How is everyone feeling that stayed up for that???

• Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Quinn Hughes plays the game at such a high pace, it's remarkable, even outside his elite skating. The puck barely stays on his stick before he passes and they're always on tape. I also remember how he was being downgraded over here for his shot. Im sure anyone who saw that snapshot that hit the post can confirm his shot is fine. What a player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What are folks expecting from this roster which is missing their head coach?

Show me the players!

The rebuild continues
So many people praising Tocchet here. How good was he with Arizona or Tampa?

You need a roster to be able to win.

So sure, give him props. That team has been great and Tocchet deserves it. But they are are much better team than we are right now.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don’t get any bad press for Pezz. The poor guy literally does nothing but throw his body around out there (7 hits in 9 minutes of ice time tonight) - when Marty actually lets him play - and had a terrific bout last game against Sam Carrick where both guys landed some bombs. What’s his motivation to do anything when he sees much bigger guys simply going through the motions, making way more money, and always getting to play?

Our top pairing defense of Matheson and Guhle had a combined total of Zero shots on net. So that’s definitely something.

Outside of one line, the Habs have no scoring. Suzuki played well, Caufield as well and Slaf is creeping towards a 20 goal season.

They do their best with limited talent, but hard work only carries so much water. Vancouver is a much deeper and more structured team, and this game was over almost before it began.
Did you discern any difference at all between our 3rd and 4rth lines and theirs?
It isn't a question of hating Pezz and who knows he may be better than he's getting credit for.
Is he good enough is it our system or is it he simply has poor linemates?
If we hope to win anything nevermind that if we hope to compete we have to get much better.
I don't know what Hughes is going to do but watching Guhle get plastered to the boards all night isn't my idea of entertainment.
With Gallagher and Anderson being permanent fixtures where else are we going to find some of the jam we need to help offset this.?

Last edited:
Reactions: jrom

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Y
So many people praising Tocchet here. How good was he with Arizona or Tampa?

You need a roster to be able to win.

So sure, give him props. That team has been great and Tocchet deserves it. But they are are much better team than we are right now.
Yesterday I spoke about how impressed I was with their Player Turnover since Covid and the North American Cup.
They were actually rebuilding on the fly as we were still trying to dig out from under.
But I'm always going to give a coach credit when I see a well oiled machine playing structured and disciplined hockey.
I'm completely jealous of the balance that team has from top to bottom.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Y

Yesterday I spoke about how impressed I was with their Player Turnover since Covid and the North American Cup.
They were actually rebuilding on the fly as we were still trying to dig out from under.
But I'm always going to give a coach credit when I see a well oiled machine playing structured and disciplined hockey.
I'm completely jealous of the balance that team has from top to bottom.
It’s a great club and Tocchet deserves the praise.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
One of the few games where the start time,10 AM, makes it feasible to watch, but when the barramundi are biting you keep going. Went through the game after and pretty glad I didn't make the effort since Montreal didn't either. lol

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad