Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in uninspired retro jerseys to the Kings

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The first 2 periods were hard to watch, we didn't generate much and that might have had something to do with the way the Kings played the trap game. One thing that is very obvious is that unless Suzuki and Caufield are creating chances or scoring goals we can't do much. For some reason, MSL seems to have a love affair with Hoffman, can't figure that out at all. He can shoot and that's it.

Trading value.

MSL doesn't coach to win, in the sense that he doesn't put the best team possible out there.
That's not his job this year, the organization has a plan and the plan doesn't involve guys like Hoffman, Armia, Dadonov and even Dvorak.

MSL seems to love Hoffman cause that's maybe a guy they will be able to trade.......just like he seems to love Lehkonen a lot when he arrived and Chiarot also got PP time suddenly.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The vets paying so f***ing shitty that no GM in their right mind would give even a 7th round pick for them. Won’t take them for free. I think Habs may have no choice but to execute some buy outs. Suck it up Molson - sell some more blue jerseys and buyout Gallagher and Hoffman.

Gallagher didn’t play and can’t be compared to Hoffman.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
The vets paying so f***ing shitty that no GM in their right mind would give even a 7th round pick for them. Won’t take them for free. I think Habs may have no choice but to execute some buy outs. Suck it up Molson - sell some more blue jerseys and buyout Gallagher and Hoffman.
no buyouts, habs will need the cap space in 4-5 years, can not have buyouts on the cap at that time, best to simply waive a player so he can sit at home or go to minors, Gally will be LTIR in about 3 years.
habs have 20.275.000 this offseason barring any deals with only Caufield and Harris to sign, utilize the cap space next year to get pick/prospects for 1 season, than be ready to be competitive in 2023-24 with cap space and a lot of ELC players, no need to empty the prospect cupboard now for a quick fix, also prospects/picks acquired in the meantime can be available to help the rebuild, or used in trades for specific need in 2 years time.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I've said it before and I will repeat myself... those concepts dont look to be really working.

I mean this team looks like they dont know what they are doing.

Hence why 99% of coaches have systems in place.

I mean it's good now when, frankly, we need to be losing more, but lots of games this year are just ugly.

Outshot, outchanced, outclassed... if it weren't for our goalies early in the season we would be bottom 5 right now.

Feel like Monahan, Edmunston, Anderson are gonners by DL
Concepts work when you have players with hockey IQ. Dumbass robots that need to know exactly where to go in each situation and can't make reads thrive in systems. Get rid of dumb players, get some with IQ, and concepts will work a lot better.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Don't looks now but the Great Hoff has 6 goals and if stays healthy may hit 15. I mean who wouldn't want a 15 goal scorer on their stanley cup contending team?! Huh? HUH?!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So Habs actually playing tomorrow... didn't realize that. Flames will be pissed after loss to TO - they felt (likely justifiably so) that they got stiffed by refs. They will also look to avenge the loss in Calgary.

I don't have a good feeling about that one.

Are we going with Monty-bo? Pourquoi pas?

Jul 6, 2016
Concepts work when you have players with hockey IQ. Dumbass robots that need to know exactly where to go in each situation and can't make reads thrive in systems. Get rid of dumb players, get some with IQ, and concepts will work a lot better.
or.... be a coach who can adapt to both types of players and get the best out of each.

it is part of the "culture". Bruins or TB don't have to re-invent the wheel every season.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Trading value.

MSL doesn't coach to win, in the sense that he doesn't put the best team possible out there.
That's not his job this year, the organization has a plan and the plan doesn't involve guys like Hoffman, Armia, Dadonov and even Dvorak.

MSL seems to love Hoffman cause that's maybe a guy they will be able to trade.......just like he seems to love Lehkonen a lot when he arrived and Chiarot also got PP time suddenly.
Hoffman can shoot, pass, one time, catch passes and is unfortunately the only forward (except the usual 2) who can. Better the rookies at least learn to pass the puck to this guy than the boatload of horribly challenged vets that make up the rest of the team. My lord do some of them suck with the puck and in the o-zone.

Reactions: Paddy17 and the

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Boring game. Loved Suzuki’s open ice hit and Slaf had a nice one timer. Completely forgettable game and those jerseys sucked.

what are we? the baby blue crew??

The Hoff is actually projected for 18 goals and that's in 52 games. Someone will take him if he keeps scoring.

yeah, I would think he could bring us a 3rd, maybe a 2nd, but I honestly don't know where he would go and have another team shelter his deficiencies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think once Monahan is back and healthy, they'll start the process of selling him. Otherwise, I guess they can sell Eddy. Who else? I'm a bit optimistic about Josh Anderson, I think he can produce more than he has and if the talks of him reinventing his game are correct, we should see some upward changes in his production rate at some point.

As for waiving -- I'm fully on-board with waiving Armia and Dadanov and Drouin as needed. Gallagher cannot be waived due to his NMC (thank you Marc Bergevin). Armia is on pace for a 10pt season, he's useless. Dadanov for a <20pt season, useless. Drouin, well... So waive them and bring up youngsters. Set a standard of excellence and keep veterans hungry. You can be excellent even when losing and tanking. It's called Best Practices.
I'd keep Anderson and Dvorak for now. They are both relatively "young" and we need bodies. They are serviceable 3rd liners.

I'd definitely trade both Edmundson and Monahan. They are both on a soon to expire contract. They'll likely want to add another 4-5 years after that. They both have an history of injuries. I'd get out of potential LTIR problems now while we can.

Reactions: ReHabs

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I tried a little modding, what do you think? A little more tolerable?

Attachments

• habs color.jpg
    habs color.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
or.... be a coach who can adapt to both types of players and get the best out of each.

it is part of the "culture". Bruins or TB don't have to re-invent the wheel every season.

This franchise has been sucking hard for 20+ years, finished last in the league with one of the worst all time record in Habs history last year, we’re trading the decent vets we have and now that MSL is coach he’s the one responsible for all that ?

Not sure what you were all expecting, this roster sucks we barely have 3 players to make a top6 line. Gonna need to purge the baddies and get some new players and then it’s gonna be on MSL.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Honest question: is that predominantly blue uniform 'retro' (if so, to when?) or just an 'alternate third'?

I'm not particularly a Montreal fan (they are usually my second or third team, after the Leafs, and have been for most of the 60+ years I've been watching hockey).

I just don't like those uniforms. Even to me, there is something almost sacred about the bleu, blanc, et rouge that makes baby blue just wrong. Maybe it's just that I feel they, maybe more than any other team in sport, should have more respect for tradition.

Anyway, I'd really like to know what the general feeling of Montreal fans is about them.

Thanks.

Reactions: BLONG7

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs are bad at breakout decision making. They double back behind their own net way more than I’d like to see. They were getting booed by fans in upper deck as they struggle badly just to get the puck out of their own zone. Kings look like the Harlem Globetrotters passing the puck around.

Reactions: Canad13ns

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So Habs actually playing tomorrow... didn't realize that. Flames will be pissed after loss to TO - they felt (likely justifiably so) that they got stiffed by refs. They will also look to avenge the loss in Calgary.

I don't have a good feeling about that one.

Are we going with Monty-bo? Pourquoi pas?
Tank Allen wants the 1st period...........he lets two goals in, in 20 seconds, kids are behind off the get go and Monty takes the second and third...

Honest question: is that predominantly blue uniform 'retro' (if so, to when?) or just an 'alternate third'?

I'm not particularly a Montreal fan (they are usually my second or third team, after the Leafs, and have been for most of the 60+ years I've been watching hockey).

I just don't like those uniforms. Even to me, there is something almost sacred about the bleu, blanc, et rouge that makes baby blue just wrong. Maybe it's just that I feel they, maybe more than any other team in sport, should have more respect for tradition.

Anyway, I'd really like to know what the general feeling of Montreal fans is about them.

Thanks.
Not a fan at all....................needs more red somehow............Runner77 could easily come up with a better 3rd hersey.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018

Thanks.
I read that the baby blue is supposed to evoke the Expos (not direct retro but retro vibe of the city). I just hate them. It’s hard to watch the team play wearing them, they look so much like toddler pyjamas, and I feel like the players don’t play as well in them, in the same way we’d expect them to play worse if they warmed up to the theme song of Barney. A lot of sports success is getting yourself into the right mindset and these jerseys are an obstacle.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I said it before and I'll say it again, burn those freakin jerseys in effigy. The hockey Gods do not like retro jerseys. They never have.
My wife who never watches hockey said who the hell is the team in blue?When i told her she thought i was telling lies.She said are they kidding or what?I tend to agree .Never want to see those jerseys again.

Reactions: Canad13ns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad