Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Toronto.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Built around Galchenyuk as our 1st center? Yeah and accept he was a party animal and forget about any system of play. Give drugs to the players, etc.
The real centerman have been a problem since Houle era. The Gainey years didn't change anything. Gainey kept Koivu and Plekanec. He replaced Koivu by Gomez and that's it. Never drafted Getzlaf or Carter, no Bergeron, no Giroux and no Kopitar, nop Enrique, not even Zajak. Gainey didn't help anything with centers in his entire tenure. A big ZERO in centers. That's because it wasn't important, that's my explanation. The team was enough with a solid goalie, a solid D in front of him, Plekky and some patches here and there. It was 14 years like that before Bergevin came in.

Bertgevin just continued in the same mold. It took a bit of luck to get Suzuki and a touch of genious from Gorton and Hughes to get Dach. It took an very different approach to change the hockey culture of the Habs. I beleive deeply inside him Molson regret and realise he's been wrong for so many years. I'm not excusing Bergevin, I see him as a chain link.
By "should have been done at that time" I meant "effectuée", not "terminée", if that helps.

Not sure how to clarify this in english.

I'm saying he should have found takers for guys like Gorges and Gionta and Bourque and Moen and Erik Cole and Halpern and Prust (just looking at the roster, I can't remember who came in that season and who left... pretty sure he traded Cole that season for Ryder) and continued to draft high.

Agreed with you on all counts. Gainey did a decent job until his daughter tragically died, then he messed up big time. Ultimately he never adresses the center problem either.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fan self-flagellation for the sins of past administrations is alive and well, week over week on this site.

Hopefully one day, we can put it all behind us and just enjoy what we have now.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You think thats bad. I have a co worker that weird als the lyrics and gets them stuck in your head. Ill get to that but I agree. Its jaunty pop music like this that pushed me into listening to metal and hard rock. Leafs ruined any good will I might have had for that one H&O dreams come true when they made it their goal song. Budum bum Bump, Budum bum Bump...uggh.

Oh about my coworker...
Your piss, your piss,
Is on my lips
I said your piss, your piss
I can't resist
Because your piss is what I miss
It just tastes so right.

Yeah get that stuck in your head with that terrible low effort pop beat.

A true aficionado of music is able to appreciate tunes in any form they come in, be it the blistering hardcore of Despise You or the smooth, blue-eyed soul of Phil Collins. And speaking of smooth, blue-eyed soul, I’m going on record as saying that anyone who doesn’t like Hall and Oates has zero right to express an opinion on music.

They’re the litmus test. Does the person you’re talking to actually know anything about music? Or do they just ape whatever Pitchfork is telling them to think this week?

The reason Hall and Oates make for such a compelling litmus test is that you have to be either an idiot or a genius to appreciate them. The tunes are catchy, hearkening back to the best of what made Motown’s poppiest pop great. It’s that simple and that complicated. You can groove on the sugary sweet simplicity of the melody or you can dive down deep into the nuances of the rhythm section and the harmonies. The choice is yours.

But what you can’t do is not like Hall and Oates. And sorry, some ironic karaoke appreciation of them isn’t going to cut the mustard, nor is labeling them a “guilty pleasure.” Though, if you’re not doing “Kiss on My List” at karaoke, you’re kind of f***ing up

I can argue against that.

Hall and Oates is pretty fitting for the demographic that goes to their games. It's certainly a much different crowd at leafs games than the raptor games, where you see more youngsters and diversity.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I had a coworker, he is an encyclopedia of music, or was? It was fun to talk about music except when he quote David Bowie to be as good or better than the Beatles. I mean, also better than Pink Floyd? He was able to appreciate Steely Dan but that group wasn't as good as Bowie, according to him ??? WTF !!!

Then years later another of my coworker said this guy was a great fan of H&O. I said to myself Oh no !

The eighties have been great with music, from Human League to Eurythmics, the Clash, the Smiths, etc. All great groups and good music, inventive, catchy, sophisticated and lyrics that means something. H&O were so superficial compared to others, gezzz ...
Not sure how true it is and sorry for derailing the thread a bit. But I read John Hall was into the occult...This is so weird to me. However I will put this clip from MST3K Eagah. Things make a lot more sense. Its not the obvious things, its about being subtle ;)

I don't know how to embedd anymore. Every time I figure things out we change the board and I am too old to give a crap and learn it again.(it worked I think)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Not sure how true it is and sorry for derailing the thread a bit. But I read John Hall was into the occult...This is so weird to me. However I will put this clip from MST3K Eagah. Things make a lot more sense. Its not the obvious things, its about being subtle ;)

I don't know how to embedd anymore. Every time I figure things out we change the board and I am too old to give a crap and learn it again.(it worked I think)

For a moment I was thinking it was for kids, lol. It's pretty refreshing they have that conversation. But they didn't mentioned Hall and Oates, neither Spandau Ballet. Now I will do something bad. I will introduce some words that you will have to work to erase from your memory. Every time you'll be thinking of Hall and Oates. If we translate H&O in french it gives Vestibule et Avoine. First it made me laught and now I can't erase that stupid think from my memory. Welcome to the club. Sorry.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad