Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose Again

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Do us non-Quebec residents not count or something?
As I've been saying for years. I don't give a **** if the coach is French or English or Zimbabwean. ... There were much, much better coaches available IIRC.

For curiosity's sake I googled to see if there is hockey in Zimbabwe. Alas, there is no ice hockey in this African nation of 12.5 Million but there is a league for floor hockey. There is potential for growth for a non traditional hockey market there and forwarded this information to Bettman right away. Sorry Quebec.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The fans didn't care who coached they had plenty of heros on the ice.

Unlike now, where you can easily get your clues where RDS and Spanre are at, whether during games or in their highlight reels where inevitably ...

Le franco-manitobain, qui en est à sa 10e saison dans la LNH, fait face à son homologue québécois, lui-même flanqué d'un franco-ontarien et d'un troisième joueur dont le nom est à consonnance anglophone mais qui fut élevé par une mère francaise, émigrée au Québec il y a trente ans. Et maintenant, le jeu reprend ...

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
No way, my friend.

No matter how dumb MT is, L'Antichambre guys NEVER say a bad word about him, or 2nd guess him cause they might lose their jobs and he's one of them.. I would have loved to have seen Babcock be the coach now and just sit back and watch what the french canadiens fans would be saying now.. OMG, i am scared to even think about it. They would destroy him to kingdom come and be saying, why the hell didn't we get a french coach. He would've done a way better job with the team and city.. What a stupid move. Fire this bum.. and bring a quebecois who speaks french. They would've DESTROYED Babcock here. Even before Cunneyworth's first game, they were killing him in the media here. KILLING HIM.. They almost burned the city down when they hired Cunneyworth.

Babcock did good signing in Toronto.

This. I hate to agree with it but its the truth. The coach needs to be able to communicate in french to the french media. He doesn't have to be french though. He could be american or of any other nationality.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This. I hate to agree with it but its the truth. The coach needs to be able to communicate in french to the french media. He doesn't have to be french though. He could be american or of any other nationality.

No, its the media's responsibility to learn the language of the league. That is why they exert so much pressure.. Because they don't want to have to do what they are supposed to do.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

No he needs to be able to get the most of his players, develop them and win cups. When was the last time you had a conversation with the head coach? This is a HOCKEY COACH team not your local politician, he doesn't need to be your ****ing hero!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly... No one says anything important in the league anymore.

You really need to hear "pucks at the net" in your own language?

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
No he needs to be able to get the most of his players, develop them and win cups. When was the last time you had a conversation with the head coach? This is a HOCKEY COACH team not your local politician, he doesn't need to be your ****ing hero!

Exactly, even if communicating with the French media in French was so important, translators exist.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Imagine if they announce that Price is going to have surgery now after sitting for a month? I would imagine there will be some angry people.

I think it will be more related to a trade. A press conference the morning after the roster freeze ends? Most likely about a trade.

Won't be a Therrien firing because it is the morning of a game day. If he was going to be fired, it would have been today, sadly.

Edit: If there even is a press conference? Unclear.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal

I disagree here. So basically, if there's a great coach out there available. A proven winner who's won many cups and knows how to win, but does not speak french. U are saying we should hire a french canadian who has no experience over an english guy who wins, cause he don't speak french?

All this to accomodate a bunch of guys making 25-60k a year who should be learning the language anyways. How about instead of hiring a french coach, we hire only english speaking reporters and let the french reporters take english courses and then hire them when they pass the course.

Winning is more important than accomodating a couple of 30k/yr reporters who don't speak proper english.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
I disagree here. So basically, if there's a great coach out there available. A proven winner who's won many cups and knows how to win, but does not speak french. U are saying we should hire a french canadian who has no experience over an english guy who wins, cause he don't speak french?

All this to accomodate a bunch of guys making 25-60k a year who should be learning the language anyways. How about instead of hiring a french coach, we hire only english speaking reporters and let the french reporters take english courses and then hire them when they pass the course.

Winning is more important than accomodating a couple of 30k/yr reporters who don't speak proper english.

Agreed. But that would never fly in Montreal. They put language over winning the cup...so sad these days.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Exactly, even if communicating with the French media in French was so important, translators exist.

It's hilarious how most of the franco broadcasters, media personnalities and journalists will jump to the barricades and demand that a french-speaking coach (read a québécois) be named by the Habs. And yet, the same people, couldn't ask a hardball question on any other topic to any management type or coach of the Habs, even if their lives depended on it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed. But that would never fly in Montreal. They put language over winning the cup...so sad these days.

That will never change. The sports shows are always one step removed from a language comment, issue or controversy. The language is culture and the culture is pretty much the Habs. There is an incontrivertible nexus and it happens in all spheres of Quebec society.

Daniels45

May 8, 2013
No, its the media's responsibility to learn the language of the league. That is why they exert so much pressure.. Because they don't want to have to do what they are supposed to do.

What you and I think doesn't matter. Its how it is in this province. Many french speaking Quebecois see it as an insult or lack of respect if the team doesn't communicate in french to its fan base. Look at all the hate Saku got for not trying.

I also think part of the problem is that most of it is media driven and you here a lot of it on french sport talk shows. Ron Fournier was one of the worst if I recall. Still complains too much that we dont have enough home grown players on the team that we can identify with. So yeah...you have part of the media who drives this and it doesnt help.

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
It's hilarious how most of the franco broadcasters, media personnalities and journalists will jump to the barricades and demand that a french-speaking coach (read a québécois) be named by the Habs. And yet, the same people, couldn't ask a hardball question on any other topic to any management type or coach of the Habs, even if their lives depended on it.

Also true, the press conferences are extremely boring anyways, easy questions, cliched answers, rinse and repeat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A lot of the media types who are in the mainstream, were heavily influenced by the turbulent 70s and 80s that the Quebec political climate represented. Philippe Cantin, Ron Fournier, JC Lajoie, Réjean Tremblay, François Gagnon ... there isn't much different between sports, language and politics for these guys. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad