Post-Game Talk: Habs lose again in OT!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm not sure about that.

Back when the Kings were cup champs they were amazing at 5 on 5 but sucked in OT and special teams. I think they missed the playoffs one year because of it. 3 on 3 is a bit of a circus.

Anyways, I fell asleep during the game and didn't see it. I still don't get how we keep putting Dannault out there to start. :laugh:

Yes, and actually picking up a lot of OT/SO points to make it in is actually a precursor to crappy playoffs too.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So what's going on with Lehkonen? Did he piss on Ducharme's shoes or something? At least he busts his ass and brings some energy every shift and he can't be much worse than how Byron as looked for much of this year.

Yeah, Lekhonen has quite a shot but can rarely create the space to do it. Maybe 3v3 could be his thing.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I wouldn't go as far as to suggest to go out and acquire players that can help you in OT, but at least win or lose with your best players in OT, whoever they might be. It doesn't matter that some other team can ice better players, there is no control over that game in and game out. What matters is optimizing deployment. Don't let a Tatar decide the game for you. Double shift your best.

If the game is likely to go to OT, save your timeout. And then use it in OT to rest your best players so you can use them again, within a shorter timeframe.

When you lose 9 OT, that's a tangible number of points lost -- gimmick or no gimmick, you can't give away points like that without at least having placed all the chances on your side, to win them.

I wasn't suggesting getting those players, but getting a top end player is great either way.

Rather, use your skilled players and live and die by them, instead of constantly dying using Danault and co.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
To be fair 3v3 has no real baring on playoffs.

Also - winning in regulation sounds great and all - but last 2 games we tied in the last minute, so im happy we didnt lose in regulation
True, but that does not excuse the poor choices made by the coach, and the fact that the staff do not prepare the players properly for the 3 on 3 OT. This is not the 1st year the league has done this, it's been going on now for what 10 years? We used to win these games all the time.
These lost points are given directly to a team in the SAME division.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
True, but that does not excuse the poor choices made by the coach, and the fact that the staff do not prepare the players properly for the 3 on 3 OT. This is not the 1st year the league has done this, it's been going on now for what 10 years? We used to win these games all the time.
These lost points are given directly to a team in the SAME division.

It was 4v4 a few years ago. The change is still pretty recent.

The Real Guy Lafleur

May 5, 2010
Thurso
This Ducharme reminds me of Brett Lawrie when he made a bone head move when running the bases, after the game he said he would do exactly the same move again.

If you are not willing to learn from your mistake it makes you an idiot.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The NHL regular season is about points accumulation, specifically a 60% accumulation rate which equates to 98-point season. I prefer to look at it in 10GP increments, goal is to avg 1.2points per game or 12-points for every 10GP slice with max 2-sub .500 segments or 1-sub .500 due to this shortened season. I’ll post it again, Habs have 30GP:

1-10: 16-points
11-20: 7-points
21-30: 12-points

They’ve used up their mulligan for the season (bold), presently avg 1.17 PPG, need to limit regulation losses at all costs - most important requirement

Last edited:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm not sure about that.

Back when the Kings were cup champs they were amazing at 5 on 5 but sucked in OT and special teams. I think they missed the playoffs one year because of it. 3 on 3 is a bit of a circus.

Anyways, I fell asleep during the game and didn't see it. I still don't get how we keep putting Dannault out there to start. :laugh:
You do realize that since the habs hot start at the beginning of the season, their 5on5 goals for hasn’t been that strong right?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You do realize that since the habs hot start at the beginning of the season, their 5on5 goals for hasn’t been that strong right?
They’ve still outscored Leafs, Edm, Van and Jets 5-on-5. Losses were a result of opposition PP, 4-on-4 (Leafs), and 3-on-3 OT. In fact I believe the juggernaut Leafs have scored 1G all season vs Habs at 5-on-5

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Everyone plays under the same skewed points system - the better team has lost 6-of last-7 games in regulation.

Bottom line 7-points separates 1-to-6 in the division, could be 5-by tomorrow night, it’ll be a roller coaster ride to the last game of the season.

Leafs could miss the playoffs, despite conceivable being called “the better team”...

A season is a marathon not a sprint, there will be ebb & flows, inevitable due to the parity in the league like never before
Yes, forced parity puts the habs close to the leafs and that just skews the reality and gives fans like you a false sense of the quality of the team.

the leafs are a better despite what false perception the standings are giving you.

The bolts are only 9 points ahead of the habs, but they are in a different stratosphere.

stop using the proximity in the standings thanks to OT losses to color your perception of the club.

25% of the habs points come from losses.

2% of the leafs points come from losses,

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Playoffs are an 90% and over 5-on-5 game.
All games, no matter regular or playoffs, are majority 5 on 5. Special teams are part of the game.

and you need to get to the playoffs first, and right now the habs have been struggling intensely since Feb 2 to get near a playoff spot.

only 4 teams have less wins since the habs hot start.the habs have the least wins in their own division since February.

enough now man. The team has been playing like shit for almost two months.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Yes, forced parity puts the habs close to the leafs and that just skews the reality and gives fans like you a false sense of the quality of the team.

the leafs are a better despite what false perception the standings are giving you.

The bolts are only 9 points ahead of the habs, but they are in a different stratosphere.

stop using the proximity in the standings thanks to OT losses to color your perception of the club.

25% of the habs points come from losses.

2% of the leafs points come from losses,
There’s one set of rules 31-NHL team need to abide by. There isn’t nor will there ever be one blueprint for how to build a team. By your token the Leafs are a far superior team to Isles...but they don’t play anywhere near the “team game” the Isles do.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
There’s one set of rules 31-NHL team need to abide by. There isn’t nor will there ever be one blueprint for how to build a team. By your token the Leafs are a far superior team to Isles...but they don’t play anywhere near the “team game” the Isles do.
No, I don’t think the leafs are better than the islanders because I don’t look at the stat and points column to make judgements.

saying the isles are superior to the leafs and the leafs are superior than the habs isn’t controversial at all.

I’m not the one trying to convince everyone that the habs, one of the worst teams in the league since February, is actually one of the best in the division.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
All games, no matter regular or playoffs, are majority 5 on 5. Special teams are part of the game.

and you need to get to the playoffs first, and right now the habs have been struggling intensely since Feb 2 to get near a playoff spot.

only 4 teams have less wins since the habs hot start.the habs have the least wins in their own division since February.

enough now man. The team has been playing like shit for almost two months.
It’s all about min 60% point accumulation efficiency or 1.2 PPG - Habs are at 1.17 and on track, time will tell...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
It’s all about min 60% point accumulation efficiency or 1.2 PPG - Habs are at 1.17 and on track, time will tell...
Every year it’s the same thing with the habs. I need to “watch out” because of this one stat that actually favours the habs, and then nothing happens.

the habs haven’t been winning because they haven’t been playing well for two months. The standings reflect their play.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No, I don’t think the leafs are better than the islanders because I don’t look at the stat and points column to make judgements.

saying the isles are superior to the leafs and the leafs are superior than the habs isn’t controversial at all.

I’m not the one trying to convince everyone that the habs, one of the worst teams in the league since February, is actually one of the best in the division.
I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, but it’s not accurate to discount intangibles such as depth with this condensed schedule - which is why IMO it’s inaccurate to linearly project what’s happened thus far to next 8-weeks.

Cgy & Habs are the two deepest in the division by a significant margin. I suspect the Leafs woes recently are tied to overuse of their elite-4, and Andersen will likely now need to be overplayed...will need to wait and see if & how it all unfolds.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A game is played in all situations. Not just at 5 on 5.

Special teams are part of the game.
Not to mention Special Teams do have a direct relationship to 5v5 play in the sense that a good 5v5 teams draw more penalties and give up fewer. Something we are notoriously bad at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad