Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose 6-1 but play well. So... there's that.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
GIlbert, Pacioretty and Condon, easily the worst Habs. They were dreadful. The rest were actually pretty darn good.

Include Semin. After sitting for 7 games he showed a true lack of engagement. If he doesn't involve himself next game I would seriously bench him the rest of the year.

Guy has no drive, he's getting free money and doesn't care. Don't need him here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Shots during the first two periods clearly in favor of Habs: 18-8 in the first and 14-3 in the 2nd.

However, as per Bergeron on DM last evening, it's the turnovers by key players such as Subban and Markov that did them in.

Bergeron musing about whether Markov may be hurt as he's been exempted from practises three times over the past week. He says Markov seemed slow and had trouble making it back into his zone.

Louis Jean posits about whether Condon is feeling the heat from Price nearing a return. Says his reactions following the goals he gave up, showed Condon blaming himself.

Last edited:

Nynja*

Bergeron musing about whether Markov may be hurt as he's been exempted from practises three times over the past week. He says Markov seemed slow and had trouble making it back into his zone.

Or needs more than a couple practices off and needs a rest day now and then

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It will be real interesting to see how condon performs next game.

This will be the most important carry-over. Subban and Markov will shrug off their dumb mistakes, but this is Condon's first really bad game. Does the mixture of anger and doubt fuel the fire, or make him shaky?

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
This will be the most important carry-over. Subban and Markov will shrug off their dumb mistakes, but this is Condon's first really bad game. Does the mixture of anger and doubt fuel the fire, or make him shaky?

My guess is on shaky. He's looked a little shaky the past couple of games. Could be feeling the effects of the increased workload. Many thought Budaj was fit to be a starter until we started giving him more games.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would've pulled him earlier. One thing about MT is he doesn't seem to like pulling goalies when they're struggling. I think he should be a little quicker on the draw with them. Sometimes it's just not the goalie's night and keeping them in there can't be good for their confidence.

Anyways, he's played really well for us so far. My hope is that it continues. We have the luxury of waiting because we've got a nice lead in the standings and the last thing we want to do is rush Price back... but it will be nice when he's back. :)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Until the 4-1 goal, the team actually looked like they were going to come back and tie it. That was a back breaker. People look at the PP% and say it's a good PP but the team rarely maintains sustained pressure and struggle to get shots to the net. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop to bottom 10 again if they continue to play same way. Most of the PP goals this season were either from faceoff/rush/soon after a rush. Once Habs PP is set and the opponents set up, they are unable to create much.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Only four pages for a game where the Habs were blown out? Glad to see that lots of Habs fans went out and had a good time last night.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Only four pages for a game where the Habs were blown out? Glad to see that lots of Habs fans went out and had a good time last night.

I think we all expected a blow out coming eventually. Karma had to pay us back for that glorious start. :laugh:

It's kind of nice seeing a general "meh, on to the next one" here instead of the doom and gloom.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If you play well and lose, no shame in that.

Last year we won tons of games that we shouldn't have and the postgame threads were much longer. The team is playing well and you can't win every game. We could complain about the goaltending but he's a rookie backup who's played very well for us. Tough to complain about a loss like last night's.

That said, maybe we could tweak the lineup a little.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008

Last year we won tons of games that we shouldn't have and the postgame threads were much longer. The team is playing well and you can't win every game. We could complain about the goaltending but he's a rookie backup who's played very well for us. Tough to complain about a loss like last night's.

I'm thinking the same way. No need to panic and now the line-up could be changed... A bit.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
GIlbert, Pacioretty and Condon, easily the worst Habs. They were dreadful. The rest were actually pretty darn good.

Pacioretty had a ton of chances. He wasn't able to bury them, but he was getting some nice shots.

Condon is definitely the reason we lost. I can't be too upset since he's been great, but if we're being honest, this loss lies on him. Hopefully Price is back shortly.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL

To be honest I barely paid attention to the game, I have no idea if they played well or not lol. Good to hear that they somewhat played well.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Include Semin. After sitting for 7 games he showed a true lack of engagement. If he doesn't involve himself next game I would seriously bench him the rest of the year.

Guy has no drive, he's getting free money and doesn't care. Don't need him here.

Gilbert was the worst player on the ice without a doubt for Montreal. He turned the puck over all game, could not hold the zone and was soft below the goal line. He should not be in the line up right now, and if he is, he should not be playing as much as he is.

Semin was fine. He was soft along the boards on some plays but that's to be expected. He's not going to all of a sudden change his game and work as hard as Gallagher along the boards. That's not his game. The fact is, that line dominated possession and if they continue that, goals will come.

Pacioretty however, was really bad. Blind passes to nowhere, giving up on plays and poor back checking. I get you're not scoring, but you need to step up your game.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Gilbert was the worst player on the ice without a doubt for Montreal. He turned the puck over all game, could not hold the zone and was soft below the goal line. He should not be in the line up right now, and if he is, he should not be playing as much as he is.

I don't want to be an ass, but I don't think it would have been a good idea to ice a pairing with a grand total of 0 NHL games and 2 Pro Games in 15-16.

And before you reply something to that effect, YES, both players should have at least seen some action before yesterday.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Other than a few glaring errors, there isn't much to complain about.

Condon had his worst game, which happens to anyone and was bound to happen to him.

We outshot them 40-24 or something and dominated the first two periods. The fourth goal was just a backbreaker in every respect, weak, short handed at a key moment in the game. Everyone knew it was over after that.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Past success will continue to breed success. The reason we did so well up until this point is chemistry between players. They don't overthink the plays - they just automatically connect at high speed almost blindfolded. The worst thing they can do is try new tactics. Get back on that horse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad