Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose 6-1 but play well. So... there's that.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Gilbert was the worst player on the ice without a doubt for Montreal. He turned the puck over all game, could not hold the zone and was soft below the goal line. He should not be in the line up right now, and if he is, he should not be playing as much as he is

Gotta feel for him though, he's clearly not LD.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Goaltending isn't an easy position. Fucale let in 8 goals, Condon let in softies and Carey will have tough nights too like in Edmonton.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Pacioretty had a ton of chances. He wasn't able to bury them, but he was getting some nice shots.

Condon is definitely the reason we lost. I can't be too upset since he's been great, but if we're being honest, this loss lies on him. Hopefully Price is back shortly.

Yeah last night was probably the best Pacioretty has looked offensively in a while. He was getting good chances last night but couldn't bury one so I expect him to soon start scoring again.. Hopefully anyway. :)

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Was at the game, Semin looks incredibly weak, I was a big fan of the upside when we signed him but I think it's fair to say the guy is done, he won't get Chucky going, he looks in absolutely horrible shape, I was sitting just a couple rows behind the bench and he looked outta breath after almost every single shift, body language says a lot too, head is always down, he just doesnt seem to have any fight in him at all, game is way too fast and powerful for him, too bad.

I didnt like Patch at all, was very silent on the bench, looked out of fight completely, started thrash talking with Comeau in the 3rd with a big smile on his face, didnt like that at all, sure the team is doing well but he just didnt look like what you hope for in a captain to me, thats just one game so it's not a big deal but I could see the pressure of wearing the C getting to him during his traditionnal slumps. On the ice he made some extremely bad decisions, like that one ridiculously weak backhand pass through the crease with two defenders between him and Gally/Pleky not sure which one, he's thinking way too much, he's horrible on the PP, I'm a little bit worried about him, he's bad at making plays from the wall yet it seems like that's where he always is, at least with DD it was his center working the boards and him getting into the soft shooting areas, I'm not suggesting to reunite them yet, just a thought, try him with Chucky at least.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Pacioretty has been looking awful - he had a couple ok moments last night but in general he kept turning the puck over and over and over again

OpenIceHit

Oct 3, 2006
Toronto
Was at the game, Semin looks incredibly weak, I was a big fan of the upside when we signed him but I think it's fair to say the guy is done, he won't get Chucky going, he looks in absolutely horrible shape, I was sitting just a couple rows behind the bench and he looked outta breath after almost every single shift, body language says a lot too, head is always down, he just doesnt seem to have any fight in him at all, game is way too fast and powerful for him, too bad.

I didnt like Patch at all, was very silent on the bench, looked out of fight completely, started thrash talking with Comeau in the 3rd with a big smile on his face, didnt like that at all, sure the team is doing well but he just didnt look like what you hope for in a captain to me, thats just one game so it's not a big deal but I could see the pressure of wearing the C getting to him during his traditionnal slumps. On the ice he made some extremely bad decisions, like that one ridiculously weak backhand pass through the crease with two defenders between him and Gally/Pleky not sure which one, he's thinking way too much, he's horrible on the PP, I'm a little bit worried about him, he's bad at making plays from the wall yet it seems like that's where he always is, at least with DD it was his center working the boards and him getting into the soft shooting areas, I'm not suggesting to reunite them yet, just a thought, try him with Chucky at least.

There are some things you see live that can't be seen on TV. Thanks for your comment.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Pacioretty has been looking awful - he had a couple ok moments last night but in general he kept turning the puck over and over and over again

Of course it wasn't just Pacioretty last night. Brunet was pointing out this morning on 98.5 that the majority of Habs shots taken were from the perimeter. Too few of them were willing to pay the price.

Last edited:

Nynja*

So these statements that "we played well"...did we?

We outshot the Avs bad, but did we?
5v5 high danger shots: Avs-6, Habs-6
5v5 medium danger shots: Avs-5, Habs-7
5v5 perimeter shots: Avs-6, Habs-19

Powerplay stats (remember we had 4 PP they had 2):
High Danger: Avs-3, Habs-2
Medium Danger: Avs-1, Habs-0
Perimeter BS: Avs-2, Habs-6

I know all shots have a chance to go in, but when you have 2 more powerplays than the other team,and they have more high danger and medium danger shots than you, you didnt play good. When you outshoot the opponent almost 2:1 at 5v5, and yet wind up even on high danger shots, and only 2 extra medium danger shots, you didnt play that good.

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Pacioretty not creating any chances with his speed. I always thought it was his most valuable asset. That summer injury really stunned his summer training. He usually has 1 breakway per game. Now it seems like he can't even out skate 1 defensement wide.

Real bummer. Patches has always been a gym beast and it really showed/helped him on the ice. Hopefully he'll be able to slowly regain his explosiveness and keep Dmen on their heels.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Until the 4-1 goal, the team actually looked like they were going to come back and tie it. That was a back breaker. People look at the PP% and say it's a good PP but the team rarely maintains sustained pressure and struggle to get shots to the net. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop to bottom 10 again if they continue to play same way. Most of the PP goals this season were either from faceoff/rush/soon after a rush. Once Habs PP is set and the opponents set up, they are unable to create much.

Watching the Avs PP throwing the puck around last night was beautiful watch on the Duchene PP goal. Quick crisp passes and lots of movement.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Pacioretty not creating any chances with his speed. I always thought it was his most valuable asset. That summer injury really stunned his summer training. He usually has 1 breakway per game. Now it seems like he can't even out skate 1 defensement wide.

Real bummer. Patches has always been a gym beast and it really showed/helped him on the ice. Hopefully he'll be able to slowly regain his explosiveness and keep Dmen on their heels.

Here is a question, would you give Patches a week off to rest and train?

domdo345

Jun 4, 2008
Here is a question, would you give Patches a week off to rest and train?

The thing is, you won't be able to get a 3 months training equivalent during 1 week off...

I think we just have to hope he lives like a saint for the next few months and fully recover in time before the playoffs. He has to catch-up with guys that trained 2 times a day 6 days a week during the summer.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
In Pacioretty's defense, with our second line basically ghosting it most games lately. It's a lot easier for the opposition to focus exclusively on him. That's no excuse for his shoddy play, but I do think it's a factor. We need to address the winger spot. Frankly, I give Semin the rest of November to figure things out before looking for a suitable replacement. Granted, I think we should be talking to Philly right now and seeing what they want for Simmonds.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So these statements that "we played well"...did we?

We outshot the Avs bad, but did we?
5v5 high danger shots: Avs-6, Habs-6
5v5 medium danger shots: Avs-5, Habs-7
5v5 perimeter shots: Avs-6, Habs-19

Powerplay stats (remember we had 4 PP they had 2):
High Danger: Avs-3, Habs-2
Medium Danger: Avs-1, Habs-0
Perimeter BS: Avs-2, Habs-6

I know all shots have a chance to go in, but when you have 2 more powerplays than the other team,and they have more high danger and medium danger shots than you, you didnt play good. When you outshoot the opponent almost 2:1 at 5v5, and yet wind up even on high danger shots, and only 2 extra medium danger shots, you didnt play that good.

Thanks so much for breaking down the shots. It supports Benoit Brunet's comment from this morning about the Habs not having been willing to pay the price in this one game.

As for Pacioretty, no question he's been struggling. Some thought he may have been nursing an injury. We've seen him do high resistance training exercises, so whatever is dogging him, it's being worked on. He has enough of a track record for us to know that he'll break out of this in a big way. It's been several games however, that he's just not been looking like his normal self.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
In Pacioretty's defense, with our second line basically ghosting it most games lately. It's a lot easier for the opposition to focus exclusively on him. That's no excuse for his shoddy play, but I do think it's a factor. We need to address the winger spot. Frankly, I give Semin the rest of November to figure things out before looking for a suitable replacement. Granted, I think we should be talking to Philly right now and seeing what they want for Simmonds.

The 2nd line has nothing to do with him being completley inept on the PP. Like, he can't even make a simple pass in the O-zone right now. Something is going on with him, he has no confidence whatsoever and makes poor plays because of it.

If only we had a captain to take him aside and settle him down :sarcasm:

But seriously, he's gripping the stick real tight right now and needs someone to help him through it. This is where Mr. Beliveau would be making a phone call, there needs to be someone else from the organization give Max a hand here.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Only got to watch about half game and it what it is. Games like this will happen and we will see what the character of the team is based on how they respond for their next outing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad