Post-Game Talk: Habs lose 4-3 in a SO

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
yep, I find myself browsing the web and doom scrolling through like half of the games sometimes, you just know nothing is going to happen.

This team has not legitimately qualified for the playoffs since 2017 - and the insanity cycle continues.

I will say though, given this roster its almost a miracle we're not at the absolute bottom of the standings league wide
Imagine how the Penguins' fans feel. With a team supposedly built for immediate success ( with their expensive, aging core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang & Karlson) having to watch their team being largely out played by a mediocre, wounded Montreal team and needing an 11 round shoot-out to win. Things could always be worse.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
We don't have a single first liner on the team do we.

Also yeah pens fans sure have it rough getting to watch geno sid + 3 cups I really feel bad for them
When I was told about da rebuild I imagined players like Sid and Bedard, not Barron and Beck.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Imagine how the Penguins' fans feel. With a team supposedly built for immediate success ( with their expensive, aging core of Crosby, Malkin, Letang & Karlson) having to watch their team being largely out played by a mediocre, wounded Montreal team and needing an 11 round shoot-out to win. Things could always be worse.
Image you had to suffer watching Crosby and Malkin for 20 years and had to witness the horror of winning 3 cups. Then on top of that you had to watch two future HOF legends finish their career with your team. That must be horrible no doubt. All teams must go thru a cycle eventually.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Image you had to suffer watching Crosby and Malkin for 20 years and had to witness the horror of winning 3 cups. Then on top of that you had to watch two future HOF legends finish their career with your team. That must be horrible no doubt.
How much are the past 24 Stanley Cups helping us? And I was alive to see and celebrate most of them.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Legit question-
Why is Ylonen only used for 7:26 last night?
1 assist and +2.
You don't play him but when the shoot out starts he is in your top 3?

He is a terrific player and you can't give him a shift in OT?
WTF are we not seeing when it comes to the way MSL uses him?

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Hard to watch them play. I turned it off after 2md period. So many mistakes but St.Louis letting them learn. I'm want to see a win. Gets frustrating.

Guhle with turnover on first goal. Slaf with stupid penalty led to a goal. Matheson jumped on ice too early costs another goal. Pitt goalie let in couple of softies helped us.

Savard turning into a quite a player after last game he played with blocked shots left to broken hand and skate blade. Then this game he played well. Matheson has great skill but many brain cramps. He's guy Habs should trade.
No worries Marty's learning too and Geoff Magoo is okay with that.

Legit question-
1 assist and +2.

I had more pleasure watching L'antichambre rip MSL a new ahole.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Softer than warm butter team. We were outhit 24-12. Six of our hits were by Struble and Guhle who had 3 each. Matheson, Barron and Kovacevic served up no hitters while big David Savard had one.

This means our 12 forwards threw a combined total of 5 hits (2 by Pezzetta). I guess our coaching staff is ok with this.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Softer than warm butter team. We were outhit 24-12. Six of our hits were by Struble and Guhle who had 3 each. Matheson, Barron and Kovacevic served up no hitters while big David Savard had one.

This means our 12 forwards threw a combined total of 5 hits (2 by Pezzetta). I guess our coaching staff is ok with this.
Gallagher and Anderson are MIA on the forecheck

Reactions: Habano

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Don't think Maurice Richard and Jean Béliveau are still playing ;)
Watching Malkin play last night I think he’s only marginally more effective than Richard and Beliveau, and the latter two have already shed their mortal coils.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Watching Malkin play last night I think he’s only marginally more effective than Richard and Beliveau, and the latter two have already shed their mortal coils.
Malkin is close to retirement. He's not very good anymore that's for sure. But try to imagine you had the chance to witness this guys for the last 18 years. I think it would ease the pain of watching your team slowly crumble at the and of an era.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
They also played night before, dressed their backup, survived 3 straight calls one in ot, have 4 forwards on IR. Pretty sure they are happy with the 2 pts.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Legit question-
1 assist and +2.

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. He quite clearly has a place in the NHL over the dozens and dozens of plugs that are still around. Even if he was never in the long-term plans for the new management crew his usage is disgusting.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Gallagher and Anderson are MIA on the forecheck
Gallagher is f***ing useless to be honest, always yapping and bitching like he always did but now he can't back it up. His contract is going to hurt us.

Anderson is clueless out there, speed and all but .. I hope if the phone rings again for him KH doesn't make the same mistake and hang up. Trade the guy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I read the angst many have w MSLs coaching, but he’s taking a pure development approach.

Not sure if any of you live & coach youth hockey in the US, but as part of my yearly certification by USA Hockey is to review & test on coaching modules w MSL defining aspects of small area games, constraints led approach to develop decision making etc.

MSL is applying all those aspects that he preaches, to Habs players …should take a look if you’ve got a USA hockey account / access

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I read the angst many have w MSLs coaching, but he’s taking a pure development approach.

Not sure if any of you live & coach youth hockey in the US, but as part of my yearly certification by USA Hockey is to review & test on coaching modules w MSL defining aspects of small area games, constraints led approach to develop decision making etc.

MSL is applying all those aspects that he prê
I don't have a problem with him, just sometimes I do question his call. Like in the SO last night, quite a few players I would have sent out before the ones he did. But c'est la vie, he is developing as well as the younger players are. He will make mistakes, see how he adapts going forward

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't have a problem with him, just sometimes I do question his call. Like in the SO last night, quite a few players I would have sent out before the ones he did. But c'est la vie, he is developing as well as the younger players are. He will make mistakes, see how he adapts going forward
Remember he keeps preaching the same 5-elements if you listen carefully:
- constant decision making
- puck touches
- challenging the players
- game within a game
- having fun

That’s the “5 -element module” for player development in USA Hockey

It’s a very different (academic) approach vs anything seen from a Habs coach since perhaps Scotty…

Reactions: Habs 4 Life

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

MSL is applying all those aspects that he preaches, to Habs players …should take a look if you’ve got a USA hockey account / access
Yeah his Development of Jesse Ylonen is top notch.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

F1 are not allowed for finish their checks.

Karlsson beating Caufield forecheck last night is a good exemple of what Habs forwards are asked to do....skate up to the guy focused on taking out the pass and try to guess where the pick is going.

Pezz us the only one focused on taking out time/space and finishing his check.

strykerman

Sep 1, 2012
Legit question-
1 assist and +2.

Msl has his favorites on this team... Totally agree he should be playing more. Maybe sit 7 goal Caufield in OT and put in Ylonen?

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Most OT points in a regular season. Raise the banner.
F1MibdF.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah his Development of Jesse Ylonen is top notch.

Top notch as in 7-12 mins. of TOI per game, with no rhyme nor reason as to when it’s 7, when it’s 12 or when it’s whatever value in between.

That’s some top notch entropy right there.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig