Post-Game Talk: Habs loooooose in Nashville

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
To teach him good habits... isn't it obvious?

Sigh... He would have had a ton of fun at WJC and likely would have helped beat Canada... But instead he was getting 10 minutes per game on a dreadful team on a dreadful line.

Slaf needs to go to Laval to get lots of minutes and develop. I have more confidence in the coaching staff down there working with him than MSL and team.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's early I know...he's only 21....I know but to be consequent from my draft day opinion, Justin Barron will not be a significant NHL'er. We got screwed there. Add Smilanic and thank god for the 1st rounder I guess that's a great complement to a guy that won't play in the NHL. Heineman remains to be seen. But not impressed by the pro work of our crew. Though, to be honest...it's the same pro crew that we had under Bergevin so it might explain a lot...

Please Carrière and Crawford out next summer.
This is at least an opinion based on what you've seen over the years. I have no problem with that.

Where I get annoyed is when somebody says we got ripped off because they've seen Barron for ten games and think he's never going to be more than he is and we got ripped off on the Lekonen deal. And we do see those kinds of posts here.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The habs have arguably the worst goalies in the nhl, the worst 6 dman in the nhl, the worst special teams, the worst depth, and people expect more? Monahan is out. When he's back and games start to look better it'll be because he is playing and adding some depth.

I thought I've heard it all, but not losing the right way has to be the most hilarious thing I've ever heard in sports. I hope Monahan doesn't see the ice all month. I'm loving the losses. When he's back and we start to squeak out wins people will complaining that we're outside the top 10.
Do you think CC and Suzuki, Slaf, and Guhlie all get something out of being spanked 9-2 or 7-2?
They need to be in an environment, that the vets provide leadership and help them develop...............instead they have quitters like Drouin, and Armia and company...............
We knew we didn't have goalies, but man this is bad, real bad.
We don;'t need the kids being disgusted 5-6 minutes into the game, down 2-0 or 3-0
Seems futile though.....
All that being said, we need a top 5 pick, again badly.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Sigh... He would have had a ton of fun at WJC and likely would have helped beat Canada... But instead he was getting 10 minutes per game on a dreadful team on a dreadful line.
It would have boosted his moral. It's good in any way we see it. Too bad if he makes TC lose, Habs are first priority, Slaf included.

Last edited:

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Do you think CC and Suzuki, Slaf, and Guhlie all get something out of being spanked 9-2 or 7-2?
They need to be in an environment, that the vets provide leadership and help them develop...............instead they have quitters like Drouin, and Armia and company...............
We knew we didn't have goalies, but man this is bad, real bad.
We don;'t need the kids being disgusted 5-6 minutes into the game, down 2-0 or 3-0
Seems futile though.....
All that being said, we need a top 5 pick, again badly.

I think if they go about it as business and work on what they can control it'll be fine. I'm more worried they'll want out of MTL. I agree, it's got to be tough, but we don't have a #1 dman. It doesn't exist on this roster. A group of Sergachev, Romanov, Guhle on the left side with vets would really help this team. It's not the case though. We will get a top 5 pick with Monahan out.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Slaf needs to go to Laval to get lots of minutes and develop. I have more confidence in the coaching staff down there working with him than MSL and team.
Partly agree. It's not MLS and his staff (or not all of them) but the vets who are quitters. The losing ambiance might be bad for his developpment. Lot of ice on a lower lever is perfect. NA american ice rinks, NA style of hockey but slower.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I think if they go about it as business and work on what they can control it'll be fine. I'm more worried they'll want out of MTL. I agree, it's got to be tough, but we don't have a #1 dman. It doesn't exist on this roster. A group of Sergachev, Romanov, Guhle on the left side with vets would really help this team. It's not the case though. We will get a top 5 pick with Monahan out.
Even if Habs had #1 dman... They don't have any kind of system that D could play. Every player in every position looks lost in the D zone. If Habs had Makar the D would still look equally as bad. Whatever Marty is "teaching" isn't working.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
It would have boosted his moral. It's good in any way we see it. Too bad if he makes TC lose, Habs are first priority, Slaf included.

It makes no sense getting 10/11 mins ice time, barely touching the puck, and being locked in the D zone. They are mismanaging Slaf.

Partly agree. It's not MLS and his staff (or not all of them) but the vets who are quitters. The losing ambiance might be bad for his developpment. Lot of ice on a lower lever is perfect. NA american ice rinks, NA style of hockey but slower.

The Vets aren’t quitters, they are just a bad hockey team. Slaf inst ready, and playing him 10 mins a night getting creamed isn’t going to make him better.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The other problem are the centerline outside Suzuki. This is a place where we suck a lot. Dvorak, Evans and who ever on the 4th is really bad. Not covering of the top centers at all. We are very far from having a Danault, a Carbonneau or a Kreji at center position. My eyes see a big hole at center. Other teams are skating easy in our territory and not only the top lines. Even 4th lines are doing damage. So our unexpirented D corp is being exposed, the goalies too. Even Carey couldn't change the result, it would be 2-5 losses insted of 2-7 losses. And I don't mention the very bad wingers we have. This whole team is broken to the bone. If we don't land Bedard, Fantilli or another great one we're done.

I knew if Monahan was out this team would break badly. Just one center outside Suzuki and the whole team is different. Dvorak falls into the 3rd chair and the team looks more "normal".

• Love
Reactions: Nedved

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
It’s MSL not having any system or structure. I get we all love MSL and he can’t do no wrong cause he supports CC to do Wtv he wants, but at some point you gotta realize that all great teams have an actual structure of play. All our forwards turn and head up the ice and non of our D can make effective breakouts. That’s on coaching. Or how about the fact that this team is never ready to play games. That’s on coaching. PP being a joke, coaching. Defensive zone play that has players chasing and nobody knowing what role they have on the ice. Coaching. This team is legitimately worse than last year and actually has a better roster. Julien was the last good coach this team had.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It makes no sense getting 10/11 mins ice time, barely touching the puck, and being locked in the D zone. They are mismanaging Slaf.

The Vets aren’t quitters, they are just a bad hockey team. Slaf inst ready, and playing him 10 mins a night getting creamed isn’t going to make him better.
They are so bad that they look like quitters. I think they bring some energy but the legs can't follow, the hockey IQ isn't there and the chemistry doesn't exist. One passenger per line can be tolerable but 3 bad players per line is a receipe of losing. Outside Suzuki's line we have 2 or 3 bad players per line. We have only one good center and is name is the same as a motorcyle brand, guess who he is.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
They are so bad that they look like quitters. I think they bring some energy but the legs can't follow, the hockey IQ isn't there and the chemistry doesn't exist. One passenger per line can be tolerable but 3 bad players per line is a receipe of losing. Outside Suzuki's line we have 2 or 3 bad players per line. We have only one good center and is name is the same as a motorcyle brand, guess who he is.

Like I said they are a bad hockey team, poorly built with a ton of holes. I don’t see the vets quitting, they are over matched each night.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It’s MSL not having any system or structure. I get we all love MSL and he can’t do no wrong cause he supports CC to do Wtv he wants, but at some point you gotta realize that all great teams have an actual structure of play. All our forwards turn and head up the ice and non of our D can make effective breakouts. That’s on coaching. Or how about the fact that this team is never ready to play games. That’s on coaching. PP being a joke, coaching. Defensive zone play that has players chasing and nobody knowing what role they have on the ice. Coaching. This team is legitimately worse than last year and actually has a better roster. Julien was the last good coach this team had.
We bring some good points. I start to see the unexperience of MLS since last month, since Monahan is gone. I tend to beleive his team is bad that there is nothing to do but ...
You mention Julien was the last good coach this team had and I could have the guts to go further saying that Martin or even Therrien would do better with the players we have in our hands. Still the team would lose most of the games but not 2-7 like what we see now.
There is another point now, we want to get Bedard. Mtl have 33 pts and some teams have 20, 24, 24, 31, 31pts. We are drafting 6th right now. I don't see how we can be worse that some teams, unless we lose all the rest of the games. We can fall under teams who are 31 pts but there are teams with 20, 24 and 24 pts. That makes us being 4th OV pick.

mbz

Jun 10, 2008
Moncton, NB

This. Part of development is keeping your spirits up ans having fun as well. I’m sure he was pretty bummed not being able to represent Slovakia with his countrymen.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

A good coach can teach a bad/underskilled team to be sound defensively. MSL can’t because he isn’t a good coach and is in way over his head.

• Wow
Reactions: the

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wonder what Jacques Martin is doing these days. Maybe he can bring back 2-1 and 3-1 losses for us. This team is worse than last year: Petry, Chariot, Romanov all gone on D. Both goalies are below 900. The injury to Monahan that seemed to bring a star quality is out and Suzuki hasn't been the same without him. The team knows there will a bunch of trades and why risk injury if your time in Montreal is finished.

Until we have a #1 dman we're going to be a bad team. I'm curious if someone ranked dman in the nhl would we have any inside the top 50? At best, it would be probably debatable and the guy would be Guhle. Most teams have a better dman than Guhle and a guy like Guhle.

It blows me away that people don't see how bad this team is right now. We're worse than last year.
We all know that the team is bad, that's not what is being debated here. Some of us are just pointing out the obvious about our play over the last 4-5 games. We are getting beaten so easily because there isn't really any structure on the ice. We are attempting to develop some young players here as well as trying to get some high draft picks, so it's not as clear-cut as just being awful to get Connor Bedard. You must also realize that if players(vets) want to be traded, then they must show some of the qualities that teams are looking to add to bolster their rosters for the playoffs right? They aren't doing themselves or the organization any favors with what we are seeing right now.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

I think this team is worse. Petry, Romanov, Chariot are better than any d on our current team, except maybe Guhle. Up front, it's better with Monahan, no doubt. We were winning games in the beginning of the year we probably shouldn't have won, and without Monahan's leadership the team is falling apart.

I think we are worse this year.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
At this moment, Habs are sure to draft a player between Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Dvorsky, Benson, Yager and Smith. That's huge. I'm big fan of all 8. 🤩

Reactions: Nedved

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Even if Habs had #1 dman... They don't have any kind of system that D could play. Every player in every position looks lost in the D zone. If Habs had Makar the D would still look equally as bad. Whatever Marty is "teaching" isn't working.

Yeah, they do look lost, imo it's because there's zero experience out on the ice from the backend. I don't understand what people would expect here, Makar would make this team better but we still would be awful. I think it would be similar to how I see Guhle right now, where I see his potential.

We gutted our d core and to think Petry Romanov Chariot would be replaced by Matheson Harris and Xhekaj doesn't add up. Romanov is a #2 beside a true #1 dman, Chariot was great in the playoffs and hard to play against, Petry could move the puck. Those don't exist on this habs team. We're asking 1st year guys to play like they're 5 years in to their career. You could teach them a system but all I see is overwhelmed defenseman that are drowning because they're in over their head.

sure, maybe MSL needs some support on the structure of the game, a great job for an assistant to help with to go along with our PK and PP problems. I think MSL brings more to this team than any coach could right now. I think he's doing a great job and until there's some talent on the team I couldn't care less about how it looks on the ice until the PK and PP are better. If the habs weren't scoring goals I would be more concerned but they can still put the puck in the net. I think the backend improves with a healthy dcore and even more with talented dcore.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Since Monahan got injured on Dec 5th Suzuki's offensive numbers have really fallen off a cliff with only 1 goal and 3 assists in the 13 games since then. Coincidence?

Reactions: Runner77

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Since Monahan got injured on Dec 5th Suzuki's offensive numbers have really fallen off a cliff with only 1 goal and 3 assists in the 13 games since then. Coincidence?
Suzuki is way over played. He does the PK. He double shifts. He plays 1:30 on the PP. He does all key offensive faceoffs, even all offensive faceoffs (not the key ones only) in certain games. I believe Tortorella did the same thing with Lecavalier at the peak of his career. I think that's where the idea comes from. Since Monahan is down, MSL thinks the only way to win games is squeezing Suzuki to oblivion.

Reactions: Kimota

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lose better, how about not look lost in their own end every game. Shit, they went from the DD mess to hiring a pee wee coach and it shows.

The MSL shine is gone. IMO, they have one of if not the weakest coaching staff in the league. A weak and young roster paired with a minor league coaching staff doesn’t work out well and we are seeing the results first hand. Im for the rebuild and expect the losses but I also expect development, adjustments and systems, not seeing much of or any of that. Great for the TANK!

Everyone complaining that the Habs look like **** are the same ones who would be crying incessantly if we picked in the 11-16th range.

What is it that you want? This is the way for tanking

There seems to be this preconception that tanking can be pretty.

There is no such thing. Tanking to the very bottom is ugly, chaotic, and hopeless. If you are experiencing "pretty" losses, then you aren't going to be finishing in the basement because too many of those potential losses will turn into ot points or wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad