Proposal: Habs-Lightning

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Bad for Habs value wise and we need our LD, especially our most mobile one who is still developping into a 2-3D. I like Killorn but sergachev isnt ready to play and this would force him in a tough spot.

On top of it all, beaulieu probably plays with weber because markov weber is too slow, gonna be interesting year for nb

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Beaulieu is still a young enough and talented enough PMD and ghetto has enough skill to tilt this in TB's favour. Personally I wouldn't do it because I'm afraid of what Beaulieu will develop into

Exactly! Beaulieu is only 23 years old. It might feel like he's been around for a while (mostly because he would get called up and sent down a few times during a year or two), but he's only had 2 seasons of 64 games each (His season was cut short last year due to a concussion). He's got a lot of room to grow. I feel like he could benefit the most with a guy like Weber around (even if they're not paired together).

I am optimistic with Andrighetto. He too is 23, had a dozen games in 2014-15 and last season, he played 44. Lots of room for him to grow. He's a Top-9 now with potential to be a Top-6. I don't think he's the only guy who can be described like this in the Habs system. Only if someone like Carr, Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, and Scherbak can show they have the goods, I'd rather keep Andrighetto.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Wouldn't trade Beau (let alone add to him) for a forward who scores as much or less than Desharnais on average. I understand two way play and yada yada but we need top sixers who can help put the puck in the net, not a 15G 40P guy.

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
Killorn is a good player, but Habs cannot afford another 4-5 milloin forward. Especially costing quality dman with 38 yo Markov.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Wouldn't trade Beau (let alone add to him) for a forward who scores as much or less than Desharnais on average. I understand two way play and yada yada but we need top sixers who can help put the puck in the net, not a 15G 40P guy.

Killorn's regular season numbers are low because he's stuck playing a shutdown role on a third line with offensive black holes like Callahan and Filppula. Then the playoffs come, we put him in the top six, and he's one of our top three scorers.

Not trying to convince you to take him (especially since I wouldn't give him up for the pieces suggested by the OP) but on any other team he'd be a top six winger and scoring a lot more in the regular season than he does with us.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
Killorn's regular season numbers are low because he's stuck playing a shutdown role on a third line with offensive black holes like Callahan and Filppula. Then the playoffs come, we put him in the top six, and he's one of our top three scorers.

Not trying to convince you to take him (especially since I wouldn't give him up for the pieces suggested by the OP) but on any other team he'd be a top six winger and scoring a lot more in the regular season than he does with us.

Yeah, but the question is...now that he's a RFA, do you sign him to that role (and the salary that comes with it) long term ? Personally, I see him more as an 'luxury' third liner. And we already have someone assuming that role in Montreal with Shaw.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Coburn is not LD. He's a left-handed RD.

He doesn't play RD 100% of the time, he has played on the left many times for us so he's a LD who plays on the right a lot. We don't need any left handed D no matter what side they play, is that better?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Yeah, but the question is...now that he's a RFA, do you sign him to that role (and the salary that comes with it) long term ? Personally, I see him more as an 'luxury' third liner. And we already have someone assuming that role in Montreal with Shaw.

Personally I'd rather have Killorn and another $4-4.5M in cap space than Stamkos - he's that clutch in the playoffs. A top three goal scorer in both of the last two postseasons on an absolutely stacked team and he plays a great two-way game. I don't consider him a third liner: he's really a top six wing who spent a lot of time on the third line because a) he can play that role well, and b) Stamkos hasn't had good chemistry with anybody since MSL left and Cooper kept rotating players in and out of Stammer's line in an effort to find a combination that would work consistently. But he's our best winger after Kucherov, Drouin, and Palat, and in the postseason he's been better than Drej.

That said since we're stuck with Stamkos we're going to have to lose a top six forward. Kucherov and Drouin are untouchable so it comes down to Johnson, Palat, or Killorn. Johnson plays the more valuable position, has fantastic chemistry with Kucherov, and is the best of the three offensively, but he also has durability concerns and oddly enough might be the most easily replaced of the three. Palat and Killorn are excellent two-way players; Palat in particular makes everybody he plays with better and is the better playmaker of the two but Killorn has been the better scorer in the playoffs. Honestly I'm not sure which of the three I'd move - I suppose Killorn simply because the Triplets have such fantastic chemistry that I'd hate to break them up, but we're really going to miss Killer and everything he brings to the team.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He doesn't play RD 100% of the time, he has played on the left many times for us so he's a LD who plays on the right a lot. We don't need any left handed D no matter what side they play, is that better?

The fact that he mostly plays RD, prefers RD, and has played RD most of his career, tells me he is a RD.

You are trying to say we need a RHD. Agreed, we absolutely need an offensive minded RHD which we were grooming DeAngelo into being.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Wait, Habs fans actually think this is bad for them? Yikes.

Considering Beaulieu's position in our D-core this upcoming year, yes it is bad for them.
Beaulieu is expected to take a huge step and be our #1 mobile defenseman playing with Weber since Subban is gone. I don't trade Beaulieu straight up for Killorn at this moment. Not because of value, but importance he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad