Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Lightning

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Is it me or did Greg Pateryn look like a solid NHL defenseman last night? I also think MT really likes him...he may be in the line up for the forseable future!

He's super cheap too and he's only 24. I can definitely see him being our 5-6 dman permanently come next season. He's solid, can hit, makes simple plays, may have some upside seeing as he's still young.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Is it me or did Greg Pateryn look like a solid NHL defenseman last night? I also think MT really likes him...he may be in the line up for the forseable future!

I like the way he finishes his checks along the boards, but I dont think I'd call him a solid nhler yet. He's prone to turnovers, and being caught in no-man's land at times.

He's #8 on the depth chart, for me.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
As far as im concerned this is a must win for the habs if they want to convince me. Last game against the lightning wasn't a complete loss. We shutout one of the best offensive team in regulation and thats a start.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

I like him more recently. I don't think he'll play over Gilbert when Emelin comes back, but he should get a spot next season if we deal Gilbert/don't resign Petry/have injuries.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
But if DD was Getzlaf we wouldn't complain.

Grabovski is finally giving us a reward after hurting Markov right before the 2011 playoffs. Pateryn has been great and Grabo cost the Leafs a compliance buyout (although they shouldn't have used it on him).

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I like him more recently. I don't think he'll play over Gilbert when Emelin comes back, but he should get a spot next season if we deal Gilbert/don't resign Petry/have injuries.

in an ideal situation I hope our RD next year are: Subban, Petry, Pateryn with gonchar re-signing as a number 7.

I hope we move gilbert and sign petry, he's so solid. great guy to have behind subban on the right side.

I wouldn't be opposed to emelin being move during the off-season too. tinordi pateryn looked serviceable, they just need time to grow.

Our d could look young next year, but it doesn't seems like a therrien thing to do.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
in an ideal situation I hope our RD next year are: Subban, Petry, Pateryn with gonchar re-signing as a number 7.

I hope we move gilbert and sign petry, he's so solid. great guy to have behind subban on the right side.

I wouldn't be opposed to emelin being move during the off-season too. tinordi pateryn looked serviceable, they just need time to grow.

Our d could look young next year, but it doesn't seems like a therrien thing to do.

Bergevin is the one who should decide that. Then again, he'll surely sign a depth D, and if he's only decent enough, I guess Therrien will play him over the young guys.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Petry will be resigned, his play has been good, obviously Gilbert's experience helps him but Pateryn plays a very good consistent defensive game. All of them being RD's, with many more RD prospects coming out of St.John's, the next two yrs. Competition on the Habs defence will be intense, which always makes a team stronger, proven by all of the successful Hab teams from the 30 yr. Dynasty teams.(50's, 60's, & 70's) The farm teams were always deep in prospects, competing for any role for the parent Habs, this is the greatest importance of having good quality depth continually, besides having great replacements for injured players in the playoffs.

Beating Tampa Bay is only great, when it's playoff time, regular season games are useful in learning opponents strategies and player tendencies. Thus being well prepared for the real season Stanley Cup Playoffs, that name should change back to the Montreal Canadiens Playoffs as it was properly known in the past.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
J-F Chaumont ‏@JFChaumontJDM

#Habs: Et Lars Eller jouera au centre face au Lightning. Jacob De La Rose se retrouvera à l'aile gauche.

Eller back at centre, DLR will play LW.

Finally, I like this.

Eller/DLR are similar at C but DLR > Lars at wing, better forechecker, gets physical, etc.

Makes more sense, it was about time MT figured it out.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Finally, I like this.

Eller/DLR are similar at C but DLR < Lars at wing, better forechecker, gets physical, etc.

Agreed.

Although I think your symbol is saying Lars is better than DLR at wing.. so it doesn't make sense to me.

HabsDieHard*

Emelin has a NTC, and this teams' blue line has been a whole lot softer since he went down with his injury.

It also isn't like their possession stats have taken a 180, so not sure I really buy into the theory he's holding them back in that area.

Pateryn has something like a 562K cap hit, he should, and will, be the #7 d-man to start next year and likely given a chance to earn his way up the line up.

Even if Gonchar comes back as the #7 he's still probably looking at close to 2 million cap hit.

Montreal will be right up against the cap, and there's no real point in having Gonchar on the team as a depth d-man. He doesn't kill penalties, he doesn't help the power play and he will likely be worse next year.

HabsDieHard*

Frankly, De La Rose has no business playing in the top 9 with the Canadiens.

I like him as the 13th forward come playoff time, ready to step in if needed.

He just isn't ready right now though, he's doing very ltitle offensively, and I think the pieces for teh 4th line are good enough without him.

I'd like to see him sent down to the AHL for most of the rest of the season, give him some bigger minutes and see if he can build on his NHL success down there.

Incredibly bright future for the kid, but has no business playing top 9 minutes down the stretch or in the playoffs.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Finally, I like this.

Eller/DLR are similar at C but DLR > Lars at wing, better forechecker, gets physical, etc.

I agree. Lars looks better at center and can win faceoffs. I don't know DLR's numbers but I do recall he was struggling.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

He just isn't ready right now though, he's doing very ltitle offensively, and I think the pieces for teh 4th line are good enough without him.

I'd like to see him sent down to the AHL for most of the rest of the season, give him some bigger minutes and see if he can build on his NHL success down there.

Incredibly bright future for the kid, but has no business playing top 9 minutes down the stretch or in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing De La Rose develop in Hamilton, but saying that he doesn't belong in the top-9 is ridiculous. He's getting scoring chances while playing excellent defensively.

HabsDieHard*

I wouldn't mind seeing De La Rose develop in Hamilton, but saying that he doesn't belong in the top-9 is ridiculous. He's getting scoring chances while playing excellent defensively.

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics that support this belief.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal

Mmm, watching games maybe? The third line has played well even in the recent losses. I love how you'd like De La Rose to be demoted yet you proposed absolutely nothing to replace him.

Sometimes it goes beyond the stat sheets you know. He's DEFINITELY the type of player you want in the playoffs when things get tighter and more intense. Those little defensive plays he makes will go unnoticed in the regular season but not in the playoffs. His size is also important for us going forward.

Demoting someone from our only consistent line the last few games is useless and counterproductive. I don't know how you end up with this reasoning but you're obviously missing the target here.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

Indeed he has a future for sure but the new toy shine has started to wear off the past week or so. Nothing wrong with that, hard for a 19 year old to come in and play that role, impressive that he was so natural at it. It will be great experience for him going forward plus it made no sense to have him on face offs with Eller on the same line having a much higher win % (the last time i checked.) I think that is a line that can win you some games in the playoffs though.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal

Watch the games. I don't know the numbers on hand, but DLR has been getting at least 2 good scoring chances a game as of late. A lot of people don't think his offensive game will translate, but if he keeps getting those kinds of chances in close, I don't see why they wouldn't. Sooner or later the pucks will start going in.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Watch the games. I don't know the numbers on hand, but DLR has been getting at least 2 good scoring chances a game as of late. A lot of people don't think his offensive game will translate, but if he keeps getting those kinds of chances in close, I don't see why they wouldn't. Sooner or later the pucks will start going in.

They don't think his O game will translate because he doesn't have one. He's been like this forever. But I agree with you, I think he should stay up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad