Proposal: Habs - Leafs

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Habs fan likes Habs player, stop the presses.
I'm not sure if you're an Oilers fan or not but if you are you're just triggered you gave us Petry for a 2nd. He's having a great year and is a 2D on many teams in this league. To classify him as an Oilers reject is sad and pathetic. The posters on these boards...

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I'm not sure if you're an Oilers fan or not but if you are you're just triggered you gave us Petry for a 2nd. He's having a great year and is a 2D on many teams in this league. To classify him as an Oilers reject is sad and pathetic. The posters on these boards...
Leafs fan... the last three pages of Gardiner vs Petry might make it obvious, the posters on these boards....

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Both have strengths and weaknesses, again, this is silly you simply ignore any point for Gardiner and overstate Petry.

Gardiner's shot suppress isn't a hole in his game. If that's where you want to rest you hat, great, you're being unreasonable.

I haven't said Gardiner is bad, I don't feel that is true at all. I actually feel the opposite and have defended him in many threads. Saying Petry is the better player takes nothing away from Gardiner.

And how can I ignore any point for Gardiner when none have actually been made except for some very vague and or inaccurate statements

Mar 14, 2011
Not sure how to feel about this deal, Jeff Petry is that type of player that when you hear his name, the first thing you immediately think of is is dime a dozen 2nd pairing D but on the other hand, when you look at his analytics you start to wonder why the media hasn't hype him as a true top pairing D. Petry's zone entry Defence is absolutely elite and his transition game (both defensive zone exits and offensive zone entry) is extremely good, makes you wonder why Chia chose to let him go when the Oilers are so starve of transition Dman. But Since I'm a Leaf fan and complimenting Habs players makes me sick, I'll just add how Weber's transition game is extremely mediocre and he is no longer a #1 Dman in the league.

Mar 14, 2011
Virtually identical...

Last year's GAR 95th percentile to 86th
Game score from last 3 years - 89- 73 (this year is 79-39)
Gardiner is behind Petry in every category of the PVC and shows a worth of roughly 20percent not including cap hit higher than Gardiner
Petry is better at shot production (shot share, 87-39)
Petry plays slightly better competition while playing with significantly worse teammates (72-43)
Petry is better at stopping his team from being scored on (91/22 vs 85/60 for ex gf and ex GA)

Should I keep continuing? The advanced stats show that Gardiner wouldn't be getting as many points if he wasn't a Leaf and that he's right about where he should be on the 2nd pairing while Petry is producing as a legit first pairing D. It isn't even close.
are we talking about this year only or the last few seasons as well? Because Jake's shotcontr60 is in the 71 percentile and his shotassist60 is in the 81 percentile the past 2 seasons while Petry's shotcontr60 is in the 64th percentile and his shotassist60 is in the 54th percentile. Still, both Dman are definitely very well rounded D who can drive on their own pairings and are "top pairing" quality IMO but Petry it seems has really taken his game to another from the start of last year.

Petry really is a weird case, I'm not sure whether his new found success is a mirage or if he actually drank the same water as Giordano and became a true quality Dman in his late 20s.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
For Petry, the ask right now is Sandin/Liljegren + 1st. Come back to us when you agree.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
I haven't said Gardiner is bad, I don't feel that is true at all. I actually feel the opposite and have defended him in many threads. Saying Petry is the better player takes nothing away from Gardiner.

And how can I ignore any point for Gardiner when none have actually been made except for some very vague and or inaccurate statements
Yeah it does, you simply overstating Petry's strength and down playing Gardiners.

We'll who gets more on the open market, I'll make a friendly wager Gardiner's skill set is worth more and if I'm wrong you can rub it my face.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah it does, you simply overstating Petry's strength and down playing Gardiners.

We'll who gets more on the open market, I'll make a friendly wager Gardiner's skill set is worth more and if I'm wrong you can rub it my face.

So you mean in 3 years you want me to remember this thread?

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I;d bet money on those words.....only a 2nd...lol

As I recall didn't the Habs only gave up a 2nd and a conditional 5th? Is that conditional 5th even on the Habs roster today? Now 3 years older and into his 30s Habs want the world for him, is Sam Pollock coming out of retirement cause your not getting anywhere near what your asking!

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
What you say Petry is worth a 1st and a good prospect. I think your right.

Have you noticed that the Leafs management has NOT given up picks or prospects for 30+ players? They will continue this trend as long as this management is in place!!! Find another team to trade him to.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
No. Knowledgeable don't expect that......They know it.
Because 50+ point defensemen don't routinely get paid more than Petrys how and Gardiner is top five in 5 on 5 minutes in league these things are more valued on the market.

But you have 'knowledge'.... suuuuuure, lying on HFboards is so fun....

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Because 50+ point defensemen don't routinely get paid more than Petrys how and Gardiner is top five in 5 on 5 minutes in league these things are more valued on the market.

But you have 'knowledge'.... suuuuuure, lying on HFboards is so fun....

He's hit 50+ once and is a long way from matching those numbers.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
Have you noticed that the Leafs management has NOT given up picks or prospects for 30+ players? They will continue this trend as long as this management is in place!!! Find another team to trade him to.

the leafs gave up prospects and a 2nd rounder to rent plekanec last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad