Speculation: Habs Interested in Colin White

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
...yeah, but they'd want something just for taking Floaty off our hands, imo, even if it is just for a year...

It's one year and they need contracts to get to the minimum cap. They are far below.

We can always throw in NYR's 2022 4th since Arizona doesn't have a 4th round pick this year.

Drouin, Poehling & 2022 4th for Washington Capitals 2023 3rd

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
It's one year and they need contracts to get to the minimum cap. They are far below.

We can always throw in NYR's 2022 4th since Arizona doesn't have a 4th round pick this year.

Drouin, Poehling & 2022 4th for Washington Capitals 2023 3rd

...I'd definitely do it, just to get rid of Floaty and never have to think of him again...call Arizona, tell them we have an offer!!...:laugh:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I haven't seen anything about Poehling demanding to play center, but he's definitely someone I would throw in a trade if we need to move someone out.

Like Drouin & Poehling to Arizona for a 2023 3rd round draft pick.
You want to give AZ drouin and poehling for a 3rd rounder next year?

Jeez dude, what an endorsement of our current players.. lol

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
There will be a team that is mandated to make a playoff push this season, if they strike out on UFA front, I could see a gamble on Drouin for 1-year

Preds come to mind

Lots of wingers in UFA, although Drouin would be a situation where I'd retain, but he's the only one. We need to leave two retainment spots open for TD, and I don't want to retain on a multi-year contract like Petry's.

Drouin at $3.75m is probably more acceptable to a lot of teams. Nashville potentially if they lose Forsberg.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Not a chance. Dudes UFA after this season, there is guaranteed to be a
undertaker-coffin.gif

...and he's retired...just like Floaty should be...

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not opposed to having Wright sent down to OHL on a stacked team and play 2 more WJC (august and December) and make a deep playoff run and memorial cup.

White fills the 3C/4C for now. Hopefully allow Dvorak to pick up his play and value, making him more tradeable.

Next year, get bother high pick and if we don’t get Bedard, go for Fantilli, a big Uber talented winger.

Nowwww were talking with Suzuki, Caufield, Wright and Fantilli all in our top 6

If Habs also manage to land Gaucher at this year's draft, this future lineup could have a power forward or two on the top-9, especially if we also signed PLD in two years as an UFA!

Fantilli - Suzuki - Caufield
Dubois - Wright - Roy
Heineman - Gaucher - Anderson
Farrell - Kidney - Ylonen

Imagine this lineup?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I like him as a 4C, but then Evans is 3C? Dvorak 2C? Suzuki 1C? What about Wright?? :laugh:

Poehling for sure is a goner.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Only makes sense if we’re trading a center. Suzuki, Wright,Dvo,Evans,Poehling and add White. That’s a lot down the middle.
Haven't you learned yet? This is Montreal. Centers disappear in the blink of an eye. Two years ago at this time, we were set at center. Suz, Danault, KK and Evans. What happened?

Also, that list you gave is deceptive. Wright goes back to the CHL and Poehling hasn't proved anything as an NHL centermen. So we're back to the precarious amount of centers. Four.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A contract Hughes was able to get for him. 😉

My plan:

1) draft Wright
2) send him back to Junior for a year
3) sign White
4) go with Suzuki - Dvorak - White - Evans center line next year.
5) draft high next year.
6) when Wright is ready to turn pro, trade one of Dvorak or White to make room for him.
If they know Wright is not good enough for the NHL right away, might as well sign Cooley, who will play one year against men.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Makes no sense unless we trade Dvo
It makes no sense even if they do trade Dvorak. White is at best worth a league minimum role and salary. The 2C/3C role needs to go to an actual NHL center who can take draws and score 40-50 points in a season.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I'm ok with signing white to a show-me deal if we trade Dvo as rumored.

Good asset management

malton

Feb 17, 2009
It makes no sense even if they do trade Dvorak. White is at best worth a league minimum role and salary. The 2C/3C role needs to go to an actual NHL center who can take draws and score 40-50 points in a season.
Not this year it doesn't.

Just need replacement level players while HUGO works on getting us back into shape.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Not this year it doesn't.

Just need replacement level players while HUGO works on getting us back into shape.

Still need a centre to take some of the heat and workload off of Suzuki's back. Can't have Suzuki do everything. Dudes was already suffering at the end of the year.

I mean, Suzuki-White-Evans-Poehling is delightful for the Bedard tank but you still need to win a few games and develop the few quality players we do have. What a terrible C line that would be. The worst I can remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad