Speculation: Habs Interested in Colin White

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He’s actually a top end skater and 200-ft C - very good on board battles. Injuries have stalled his development plain & simple.

White has potential to be a home run pickup…

...and if the Mighty HuGo strikes out, there will still be some joy in Mudville cuz it really won't cost much...;)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's a reclamation project - these are the type of things you do when you're terrible.

This is what Patrick Sharp looked like before he exploded in Chicago
View attachment 564907

Exactly... and Hughes knows him better than anyone (as a person, player and asset).

If we make him an offer, great. If he signs elsewhere, also great (means Hughes didn't want to match, he took less to play for a better team/personal preference destination or we didn't make the offer).

We have too many forwards, yes, but I suspect Dvorak, Hoffman, Dadonov, Drouin and probably Armia are all being shopped aggressively and 1-3 of them won't be here come pre-season.

a White type talent on a reclamation-type deal, playing for a GM he has a great relationship with/believes in him, is exactly the kind of additions we should be making this summer and next season to round out the roster as HuGo slowly and painstakingly undo the mess MB created

Jul 6, 2016
Exactly... and Hughes knows him better than anyone (as a person, player and asset).

If we make him an offer, great. If he signs elsewhere, also great (means Hughes didn't want to match, he took less to play for a better team/personal preference destination or we didn't make the offer).

We have too many forwards, yes, but I suspect Dvorak, Hoffman, Dadonov, Drouin and probably Armia are all being shopped aggressively and 1-3 of them won't be here come pre-season.

a White type talent on a reclamation-type deal, playing for a GM he has a great relationship with/believes in him, is exactly the kind of additions we should be making this summer and next season to round out the roster as HuGo slowly and painstakingly undo the mess MB created
White could become a good third line centerman with Habs. I don't think Habs management and coaching staff have high expectations about Evans or Poehling.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
White could become a good third line centerman with Habs. I don't think Habs management and coaching staff have high expectations about Evans or Poehling.

Curious... what tells you that? (re. evans/poehling)

i don't recall hearing anything from MSL or HuGo indicating that.

Jul 6, 2016
Curious... what tells you that? (re. evans/poehling)

i don't recall hearing anything from MSL or HuGo indicating that.
They never praised them either. Do you think Evans is a solid 3rd line center. I don't. Do you think Poehling has any real full time NHL potential ? I don't.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
They never praised them either. Do you think Evans is a solid 3rd line center. I don't. Do you think Poehling has any real full time NHL potential ? I don't.

what you or I think isn't the point... you stated that you don't think management think highly of them and i simply wanted to know if that was based on anything tangible i might have missed... which it appears it wasn't. fair enough.

Reactions: viceroy

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I like White .The Sens are clueless.They let Paul walk and he was one of their best players all year.Tampa wasn't stupid.He was one of their best players in the playoffs and they have already resigned him

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

what you or I think about evans or poehling isn't the point... you stated that you don't think management think highly of them and i simply wanted to know if that was based on anything tangible i might have missed... which it appears it wasn't. fair enough.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I expect one or more of Petry/Hoffman/Anderson/Drouin/Byron to be gone relatively soon, so we should have money for everyone.

Let's hope so, although less so for Anderson.

One of Drouin/Hoffman has to go, and MSL didn't seem to hate Hoffman unlike the majority of this board. He played him & gave him PP time.

Jul 6, 2016
what you or I think about evans or poehling isn't the point... you stated that you don't think management think highly of them and i simply wanted to know if that was based on anything tangible i might have missed... which it appears it wasn't. fair enough.
St Lous was paying Poehling very few minutes . Is that a sign ?

I think Poehling would do much better on wing. He's got speed, a bit of goal scoring, and likes to drive the net. I don't think he's a center.
But he thinks he is. That's the problem with him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I like White .The Sens are clueless.They let Paul walk and he was one of their best players all year.Tampa wasn't stupid.He was one of their best players in the playoffs and they have already resigned him

They didn't let Paul walk. They traded him to TB.

And they got Mathieu Joseph who produced 2 less points in 11 less games this year and is 2 years younger (plus a 4th round pick). The difference is that Joseph will probably end up costing more eventually while Paul is now signed to an affordable/tradeable contract for most of his useful career.

Paul is also a bigger guy so there's that.

Let's hope so, although less so for Anderson.

One of Drouin/Hoffman has to go, and MSL didn't seem to hate Hoffman unlike the majority of this board. He played him & gave him PP time.

I would be flabbergasted if Hughes doesn't do a trade including players by July 13. Still expecting at least one on Thursday/Friday.

He wants to be active on the FA market, but he said the current cap was an issue. Either he trades several pieces or he'll have to be bargain binning comes FA day (in addition to playing it hard with Romanov/Pitlick).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I haven't seen anything about Poehling demanding to play center, but he's definitely someone I would throw in a trade if we need to move someone out.

Like Drouin & Poehling to Arizona for a 2023 3rd round draft pick.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

meh... marginal difference from before/after Gorton took over, ditto MSL... and he missed almost 3 weeks due to injury in march/april and played sparingly in his first week back before finishing the year in the 12-14min range he was used most of the year.

pretty thin to extrapolate anything from that imo

(& i'm not particularly high on Poehling, just haven't seen anything to suggest HuGo or MSL have low opinion/expectation of him)

Reactions: viceroy

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I haven't seen anything about Poehling demanding to play center, but he's definitely someone I would throw in a trade if we need to move someone out.

Like Drouin & Poehling to Arizona for a 2023 3rd round draft pick.

...change it to Future Considerations and they MIGHT think about it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad