Habs intentionally end sellout streak to honour #4

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Not sure if this was already a thread...but pretty nice thing for the habs to do, it was approaching 400 and then they intentionally ended it. There was only one seat that was not taken and that was the one reserved for Mr Beliveau himself. Hats off to the habs organization, putting their respected players before any silly streak

Link

Serenade

Feb 5, 2008
Such a profound individual who had an immense spirit– perhaps his seat was not empty after all. Perhaps.

Reactions: Toene

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't like the Habs at all as a team, but you have to give them credit for the way they honor their legends. Great organization and a true example for others.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Nice gesture by the Habs.

Beliveau played way before my time so I don't remember his playing days at all. The only memory I have of him is a televised interview he gave a local Pittsburgh reporter during a Habs/Pens game in Montreal. Pittsburgh was going through a really tough time as a hockey market with the Pens possibly relocating at the time and Beliveau was so complimentary of Pittsburgh, our fans and his memories of playing there. It was a treat to listen to. He came off as one of the classiest people you'd ever hear speak.

R.I.P.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
My thought's are with the person that didn't get a ticket despite a seat being empty. :( :sarcasm:

Not to be disrespectful, I really think it's a great gesture!

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Say what you will about the NHL, but there are more genuine classy moves by NHL teams in a given year than all the other sport franchises together

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
My thought's are with the person that didn't get a ticket despite a seat being empty. :( :sarcasm:

Not to be disrespectful, I really think it's a great gesture!

That seat has been his for years anyways, not really as if it is taking it away from anyone.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Love it.

That would be cool if they left the seat unsold with his #4 Jersey number on the seat for the rest of the regular season.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Love it.

That would be cool if they left the seat unsold with his #4 Jersey number on the seat for the rest of the regular season.

they already said that I think.

It will remain empty for the remainder of the season.

It was pretty emotional when the team gave her the game puck from last night as well....

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Thats cool. Do they intend to leave it unsold?

I'm not sure personally but I have a couple thoughts which would be cool, and make sense.

1. Keep the spotlight on it all year
2. Elise (his wife) can sit in it for as long as she lives and pass it on to his family

I imagine they'll take the physical seat out after the season (or Elise dies) and put it in the hall, but who knows.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Well done, the whole ceremony was well done as usual. Another great has been lost but will remain in our hearts and minds.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Habs are the epitomy of class. They are the example for the other 29 teams on how to do it right.

Well done Habs, well done.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Not sure if this was already a thread...but pretty nice thing for the habs to do, it was approaching 400 and then they intentionally ended it. There was only one seat that was not taken and that was the one reserved for Mr Beliveau himself. Hats off to the habs organization, putting their respected players before any silly streak

Link

I'm in love with your avatar. I just saw her live and she's amazing.

Anyway.... really nice move by the Habs. They always know how to get it done with special occasions.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
Pretty sure the arena was still sold out, they just listed the attendance with one less person and left the seat open. Those were his seats for how many years? they're obviously spoken for and not for sale.

number 11

Jan 11, 2008
Montreal
Pretty sure the arena was still sold out, they just listed the attendance with one less person and left the seat open. Those were his seats for how many years? they're obviously spoken for and not for sale.

correct. the Beliveau family owns 4 seats in that row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad