GDT: Habs in Pittsburgh to get Steeled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
In case the GDT is late, maybe somebody cares to discuss the game tonight. Do we stand a chance? Do we care? Probably the same answer applies, just choose one.

Here's a funny newspaper clipping. Some well known names there.

EQq7fxPXsAAYajy
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bergevin-reunited-with-lemieux-1.238827

Marc Bergevin needed no introduction to Penguins' player-owner Mario Lemieux when he turned up for his first practice with Pittsburgh on Friday.

"He had me on left wing and a garbage can on right wing," Bergevin joked. "The garbage can had 60 goals and I only had 35."

Reactions: Habs10Habs

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We're losing tonight. Our D is terrible. Kulak is being played as a top 4.

D just seems to get worse & worse every year. It's almost impressive how Bergevin does that.

4-2 loss tonight.

Reactions: Gravity

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bergevin-reunited-with-lemieux-1.238827

Marc Bergevin needed no introduction to Penguins' player-owner Mario Lemieux when he turned up for his first practice with Pittsburgh on Friday.
Bergevin, 35, who was acquired on Thursday from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for defenceman Dan Trebil, grew up playing on Lemieux's line in minor hockey in Montreal.
"He had me on left wing and a garbage can on right wing," Bergevin joked. "The garbage can had 60 goals and I only had 35."
Cote chose a little different post career path than the others on that list. Lol.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Yepper a Jogues street legend ill hold back the civic address
When he was a kid, everyone knew he would be the greatest ever, in my opinion and in many people’s opinions he is the greatest ever. Sorry Gretzky but you couldn’t do what Mario did, he could power his way threw 3 defenders hacking/slashing and hooking him and score a highlight reel goal all by himself, he was a 1 man machine, he didn’t even need teammates. In today’s NHL a prime Mario would be a 180-200 point player.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
When he was a kid, everyone knew he would be the greatest ever, in my opinion and in many people’s opinions he is the greatest ever. Sorry Gretzky but you couldn’t do what Mario did, he could power his way threw 3 defenders hacking/slashing and hooking him and score a highlight reel goal all by himself, he was a 1 man machine, he didn’t even need teammates. In today’s NHL a prime Mario would be a 180-200 point player.

Lemieux would have been hands down the best and it wouldn't have been close. If only he would have worked for it. Watching Lemieux in his prime was breath taking. There has never been a player like him before or since. But I"m still pissed at him. He was lazy, and rarely worked out. He was so talented, that he didn't feel he needed too. Until much later in his career. Lemieux at 90% was still incredible. I can't even imagine how much better he would have been, if he would have had Gretzky's work ethic.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Cote chose a little different post career path than the others on that list. Lol.
I don't remember and I can't find it online. Can ya help give a hint or so? lol
edit : I think I found it. March 2019 Sylvain côté arrested. If anyone want details, look for them (might derail the thread). Found it in French.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Lemieux would have been hands down the best and it wouldn't have been close. If only he would have worked for it. Watching Lemieux in his prime was breath taking. There has never been a player like him before or since. But I"m still pissed at him. He was lazy, and rarely worked out. He was so talented, that he didn't feel he needed too. Until much later in his career. Lemieux at 90% was still incredible. I can't even imagine how much better he would have been, if he would have had Gretzky's work ethic.
I don’t know anything about that, but I know that Lemieux had to battle threw injuries and maybe chose to heal his body over working out? I’ll take your word for it. Nobody was allowed to touch Gretzky or suffer the consequences by his goons or the league (rule #99) Gretzky was an extremely weak player, he could barely bench press 140 lbs, weakest player in the league.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
He's the guy with the highest offensive potential who ever touched an NHL ice surface. Sadly, there were some things he had no control over (back) and some others he didn't look much after (smoking and so-so conditionning). He also preferred golfing and would go golfing every time he had a chance (read a french biography of him, from the early 2000s I believe). Saw him against the Habs during one of his comebacks in the 2000s. On the PP with 2 or 3 guys going at him, the puck would magically go right on some teammates's stick's blade, as we could barely see Lemieux anymore covered by the opponents. To me, that's a proof he was also an excellent golfer. A good putter he must be. lol

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Agreed. There was no better player I saw play live. What an amazing player, he had it all, vision and strenght and that shot, yes that shot that you knew he was going high glove side and hell even the goalies knew but you just couldn`t save it.

Still until today in my opinion anyways, the nicest goal ever scored by a player, what a rush againts the North Stars and poor John Casey!!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
In case the GDT is late, maybe somebody cares to discuss the game tonight. Do we stand a chance? Do we care? Probably the same answer applies, just choose one.

EQq7fxPXsAAYajy
Almost thought Gregory Charles played with Lemieux there... lol

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I don’t know anything about that, but I know that Lemieux had to battle threw injuries and maybe chose to heal his body over working out? I’ll take your word for it. Nobody was allowed to touch Gretzky or suffer the consequences by his goons or the league (rule #99) Gretzky was an extremely weak player, he could barely bench press 140 lbs, weakest player in the league.

Most of his back injuries were from not having a strong lower body. Once he started having them, is when he started to work on his core. I can't remember the name of the book on Lemieux, but it's incredibly detailed. That along with the NHL players I've spoken too over the years. Confirmes what I'm telling you. The only thing I won't fault him on is Cancer.

Yes the rules were different for Gretzky. Lemieux took a lot...I mean a lot more abuse. True, Gretzky wasn't the strongest player. But Gretzky was like 6'0 180lbs. Lemieux was much much bigger and couldnt come close to bench pressing 180lbs. Gretzky's game also wasn't as physical as Lemieux's. In Lemieux's first training camp. The older players made fun of him, because he was so weak.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's the guy with the highest offensive potential who ever touched an NHL ice surface. Sadly, there were some things he had no control over (back) and some others he didn't look much after (smoking and so-so conditionning). He also preferred golfing and would go golfing every time he had a chance (read a french biography of him, from the early 2000s I believe). Saw him against the Habs during one of his comebacks in the 2000s. On the PP with 2 or 3 guys going at him, the puck would magically go right on some teammates's stick's blade, as we could barely see Lemieux anymore covered by the opponents. To me, that's a proof he was also an excellent golfer. A good putter he must be. lol

His back as I pointed out in my last response, he did have a lot of control over. Once he started working out later in his career. The back issues he suffered when he was younger, slowly went away. The smoking was another huge factor, as well as his diet. Lemieux was/is a big man. But for his size, he was very soft. True, he was an excellent golfer. I always thought that once his NHL career was over. That he would be on tour, he was that good.

As I said earlier, I'm in no way slamming Lemieux. Today you can argue that he's solidly in the top 4 with Gretzky, Orr, Howe. If Lemieux took his training seriously. I think there would be no doubt, he's the best player ever.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I want Suzuki and Kovalchuk to both get 3 pts and we loose in regulation (4-3). What will it take for Suzuki to win the Rookie of the year? 60+ pts?

- 24 pts required in his last 23 games.
- He's got 9 pts in his last 9 games
- He's got 21 pts in his last 25 games.
- He's got 30 pts in his last 42 games.

It will be tough because Hughes and Makar could get to 60 - as dmen though.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
It will be tough because Hughes and Makar could get to 60 - as dmen though.

Agreed, for Suzuki to be considered. IMO he has to beat either Hughes or Makar by 10 to 15pts. Due to the fact he's a forward.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

EQq7fxPXsAAYajy
That Pierre Vanier guy must’ve really sucked to get 2 goals in 78 :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed, for Suzuki to be considered. IMO he has to beat either Hughes or Makar by 10 to 15pts. Due to the fact he's a forward.

Not so sure about the 10 or 15 pts. If Hughes and Makar have 50-55 pts ish and Suzuki is close to 60, that means he is on fire in the 2nd half and how any of them is trending to end the year would be an influence.

Regardless, it's a long shot but Suzuki has been on a crazy trend upwards as the season went along. Suzuki would have to have 60+ pts in order to get in the conversation and both Markar and Hughes would have to have slowed down in the 2nd half and have about 50 pts.

If it's a 10 pts gap that means Suzuki killed them in the 2nd half.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Arizona went through our defense half the time, Boston pretty much all the time, should be the same thing with Pittsburgh.

Habs forwards will still get the Pens into the trenches with their crazy forechecking, but in the end, like most of the time, the Pens should win this.

Then, there'll only be 22 games left, the TDL is in 10 days, hopefully by then our situation will be even more clear (even though it is)

Reactions: Gravity

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Arizona went through our defense half the time, Boston pretty much all the time, should be the same thing with Pittsburgh.

Habs forwards will still get the Pens into the trenches with their crazy forechecking, but in the end, like most of the time, the Pens should win this.

Then, there'll only be 22 games left, the TDL is in 10 days, hopefully by then our situation will be even more clear (even though it is)
I expect statut quo, because there's no plan.
Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad