Post-Game Talk: Habs hold on to beat Flames, 3-2 -- Carey notches 2 milestones!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I loved seeing Kotkaniemi in the game with 3 minutes left to protect a one goal lead.

Kotkaniemi carried the puck deep into the offensive zone and only headed to the bench when he placed behind Calgary's D. He looked winded but he was on a mission and delivered.

He’s throwing the body around a lot too. He’s adapting very quickly and clearly wants to stay.

Reactions: PhysicX

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There was a time when we laughed at, and owned the Leafs, now it seems like it's a big huge accomplishment just to keep pace with them, and we seem satisfied with that?

my how our standards, and times have changed.....for the worse

It is a big accomplishment for the Leafs to be able to finally finish ahead of us, but you don't see them bragging about that, cause they have higher standards, they want the cup
With that defense?
Good luck with that.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The goalie? You mean Dominik Hasek? **** that was getting ridiculous until the end of the 2nd.
Nine times out of ten, the Habs create their own Hasek out of the opposing goalie by lobbing dozens of weak shots into his chest. But last night... wow... that Rittick kid stopped a few excellent chances. He earned his Hasek badge instead of being gifted it by our lousy shooters. Full credit to the Habs for some elite setups, passes and shots.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Only tangentially related to your post, and not related at all to hockey, but I don't think I've ever seen a prettier (more like, more jaw-dropping) 60+ year old than Belinda Carlisle, and that's despite the fact she probably could've bought an actual castle with her coke money.

Reactions: NobleSix

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Thoughts:

I miss Galchenyuk but I like Domi. A lot. He is going to be an important player for us. Him, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi and Drouin are going to be the identity of this team for the next 5-10 years.

Domi and Drouin passing is so quick.

Petry deserves credit. He is filling in as a #1 and doing better than I expected. He looks great.

Drouin is frustrating but also amazing to watch. But what the hell is he doing at the point? He is always killing the play from back there.

Armia is the new Jan Bulis.

Kotkaniemi is very skilled and playing very calm for a rookie his age.

Where the hell has this Mike Rielly guy been? Carrying the puck into the zone, what confidence!

I was a lot like you when the trade went down. I was really happy to get Domi but regretted having to let go of Chucky and then I saw the first period of Columbus and Arizona last night. I know it's just one period of the first game back but he played the center position worse than Drouin. A lot worse. The kid has no defensive awareness.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
A lot of PKing last night
2:16 on the PK, it's not that much. A quick glance at TOI for all forwards and it seems he played the most ES minutes. That seems problematic to me. I like him. He battles well, keeps pressure on the opponent at all time, but he shouldn't be playing the most ES minutes.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We took the lead in the entire eastern conference. Who predicted this after 8 games? I just wonder the reaction some would of had if someone predicted it before the season started :sarcasm:.

It won't last? Well, I agree. Were not going to be in the top 5 in the east. Lightning, Bruins, Leafs are too dam good in our division. But a wild card birth is well within our reach and I've been saying that before the pre-season even started.
Well, at the start of the season I claimed this was a bubble playoff team and I was ridiculed by some. I can only imagine the guffaws if I said they would lead the eastern conference. But let's keep a level head. It is only 8 games.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, at the start of the season I claimed this was a bubble playoff team and I was ridiculed by some. I can only imagine the guffaws if I said they would lead the eastern conference. But let's keep a level head. It is only 8 games.

Same here. The cranky ones (not naming names..haha) called me ridiculous for saying we had wild card spot potential as well. It's like they think we were healthy and didn't get off to the worse start in franchise history last year? How people didn't expect rebound/pride to result in a better record is beyond me.

What are the comments now to those who think we were a bottom 5 team FOR SURE? Stop comparing our team to the cup contenders. When you compare our team to the bottom 20 teams in the league, we are very competitive. Do I like middle of the pack strategy? HELL NO! But I don't ignore reality

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Amazing game by the Habs.

Lehkonen has become my favorite player on this team. The hustle on this kid is to be admired. How many turnovers did he cause by himself last night? No points, but so much impact in last night's game.

Kotkaniemi had an awesome game as well, and if not for snake-bitten Armia, who failed to shoot at an open net and missed a couple of chances, he'd have gotten some points on the board.

I think I'm "Finnished" for now.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Peca should sit. Bring back Hudon and Shaw as the 4C,

What about Lehkonen? Works hard but has a hard time finishing. I was surprised when I saw he had 5 pts in 8 games.

As far as Peca? I think we need to be careful with what type of games we play him in.

- When we face a big and fast team, he should sit.
- When we face a big team but average skating, we should consider having him in the line-up
- When we face a average size but good skating team, he should play

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
There was a time when we laughed at, and owned the Leafs, now it seems like it's a big huge accomplishment just to keep pace with them, and we seem satisfied with that?

my how our standards, and times have changed.....for the worse

It is a big accomplishment for the Leafs to be able to finally finish ahead of us, but you don't see them bragging about that, cause they have higher standards, they want the cup

You don't see them bragging? That's literally the only reason people are joking that we're ahead of them. The canadian sports media and their fan base is unbearable. Not sure what planet you're from if you haven't noticed that.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I missed Saturday's game and only caught the highlights but last night I was converted. Kotkaniemi should stay up. The kid didn't look out of place. The only problem I have with the kid is his core strength. He is constantly falling down.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
What about Lehkonen? Works hard but has a hard time finishing. I was surprised when I saw he had 5 pts in 8 games.

As far as Peca? I think we need to be careful with what type of games we play him in.

- When we face a big and fast team, he should sit.
- When we face a big team but average skating, we should consider having him in the line-up
- When we face a average size but good skating team, he should play

Peca is invisible. Hudon creates things and has more NHL experience.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
congrats to pricey for that milesone. I did not watch the game, merely highlights but color me impressed , I was not expecting the habs to win that one....

hmm.... those crows flying outside the office window are looking a little tasty this morning.... nah.... still to early before I start shoveling them down my gullet.

Congrats boys/Price

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You were implying that he could be a candidate to sit, which is ridiculous.

You assumed wrong. I was just questioning his finish ability. I know his game and the speed he brings. He actually has a good shot with velocity but I would like to see him take advantage of when he is in scoring opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad