Post-Game Talk: Habs hold on to beat Flames, 3-2 -- Carey notches 2 milestones!

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I would like to see a 4th line of Hudon-Peca-Scherbak. With D-lo and Shaw occasionally getting rotated in depending on the opponent. What truly worries me is the fact Julien won't play Scherbak. We need to cut a player when Plekanex returns and it's hard to evaluate players when they dont play.

Maybe I'm mistaken but in 2012-13 , Yannick Weber played like 6 games out of 48 and he was scratched for 42 games... It's not the way it's supposed to be. Play him or trade him.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
After 8 games... Tied 7th in goals against (21 goals) and tied 14th in goals for (27). A +6 differential is tied 6th in the NHL. Is it realistic to think we can be a top 10 in team D and middle of the pack in offense?

Watch out for the Lightning. Only 7 games played and their +10 goal differential is 3rd in the league.

Add in Weber and Schlemko to this D and it can be a top 10 for sure. Also Price still has another gear in him, which I think Weber is going to help him reach.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Takes more than enthusiasm to be an impact NHLer. Galchenyuk just isn't quick enough upstairs to process the play at that next level beyond where his shot and stickhandling skills could take him (which is still decent, 25-30 goal player is not nothing).

Maybe, and that's why it didn't make sense to force to guy into being a player that he isn't naturally. You give him too much to focus on and he ends up slowing down. The guy had high level skills and instincts, just let him do his thing and a lot can happen. Instead they tried to turn him into the player Therrien felt he "should" be and that ended up ruining him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Add in Weber and Schlemko to this D and it can be a top 10 for sure. Also Price still has another gear in him, which I think Weber is going to help him reach.

Heading into the year, that was my measure of success. What special teams do we have (PP and PK), and can we be a top 10 team D if we stay healthy. I also agree there is legit potential for the Habs to be in the top 10 in team D. As far as the PP and PK. I have no idea but I do know we lack shooters which makes our PP limited.

Reactions: scrubadam

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Maybe, and that's why it didn't make sense to force to guy into being a player that he isn't naturally. You give him too much to focus on and he ends up slowing down. The guy had high level skills and instincts, just let him do his thing and a lot can happen. Instead they tried to turn him into the player Therrien felt he "should" be and that ended up ruining him.

Yeah but going against what Therrible thought... well that is second guessing my friend. :nono:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012

You need to play a solid 2-way game in today's NHL unless maybe you're scoring 120 points. Even then doing that and being minus 20 is still not acceptable.

Most forwards' "natural instinct" is just to cherrypick all game and never backcheck so it's kind of a stretch to me to dump all the blame on a coach for trying to turn a guy into a responsible player and that made Alex sad. When Julien came in to replace bad Mr. Therrien he was asked a lot about Galchenyuk at the initial press conference and said he was keen to try him at centre. Well that didn't last long.

If anything I would blame his coaches in junior who never taught him to play proper hockey. He had a tremendous size and skill advantage over other teenagers so the coaches just let him cut through them. Maybe he would have been better served staying in Europe and playing against grown men who would have been able to provide more challenge.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Maybe I'm mistaken but in 2012-13 , Yannick Weber played like 6 games out of 48 and he was scratched for 42 games... It's not the way it's supposed to be. Play him or trade him.

Habs did the same thing with Tinordi. Doing this drawn out process just hurts player development and ultimately the value we can get back when we do have to make a move.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Heading into the year, that was my measure of success. What special teams do we have (PP and PK), and can we be a top 10 team D if we stay healthy. I also agree there is legit potential for the Habs to be in the top 10 in team D. As far as the PP and PK. I have no idea but I do know we lack shooters which makes our PP limited.

Right now we don't have a shot from the point. Petry is the teams best but his shot is to wild and inconsistent.

Once you add Webers 17-20 goals from the point its going to make a difference. Not just PP, 5v5 as well. We don't have a big slapper back there so teams can focus down low. You bring in Webers 100mph slap shot and teams are going to have to focus on the point more opening up things down low. Its a big thing this team is missing is a good shot from the back end. Its why we only have 2 goals so far from the D.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I truly think that Michel Therrien ruined Galchenyuk's development to the point where he will never be as good as he could have been. The skills and tools this guy had, and the enthusiasm and drive he displayed in his first season were just unreal. I remember how excited the guy was to score a goal, kissing the jersey and all that.

But every year under Therrien this was tempered more and more. And Pacioretty, who clearly now was even more toxic than I thought, tried to snuff out the enthusiasm as well. I'm so glad these guys are gone, this is not what this young team needs. Look at Gallagher now, he looks like a different player. Drouin too.

I can't believe I am agreeing with Bergevin here but obviously there was a serious attitude problem last season and it clearly started with Pacioretty. With him gone, even if they made Weber the captain, this is now Gallagher's team and the difference is night and day.

I hate Therrien as much as anyone on here and I thought he did not deserve a coaching job in the NHL but to say he ruined Galchenyuk is so far from the truth.

You know who ruined Galchenyuk? Galchenyuk himself. His potential was elite but he just couldn’t translate that into consistent, elite NHL level plays. He was lazy along the boards, lost WAY too many 1 on 1 battles, too many bad/lazy passes and defensive coverage. Drugs & addictions might have been a big factor into that but at some point your coach can’t help you anymore than he already does. It has to come from the player himself.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
I hate Therrien as much as anyone on here and I thought he did not deserve a coaching job in the NHL but to say he ruined Galchenyuk is so far from the truth.

You know who ruined Galchenyuk? Galchenyuk himself. His potential was elite but he just couldn’t translate that into consistent, elite NHL level plays. He was lazy along the boards, lost WAY too many 1 on 1 battles, too many bad/lazy passes and defensive coverage. Drugs & addictions might have been a big factor into that but at some point your coach can’t help you anymore than he already does. It has to come from the player himself.
Well said .chucky just doesnt have the drive.max is completey the opposite. What a steal by mb.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Man..... do i hope your right about that

Last time Price had a decent season was with a healthy Weber. Last year doesn't count since Weber broke his foot on game 1. Go back to the first season we got Weber, and Price was looking pretty good. I remember at one point Weber was on the ice for a goal something like once every 3 games.

I know that Weber wouldn't have shot the puck straight up the middle like Benn did last night. Weber knows what to do with the puck in the final minute of a 1 goal game.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Last time Price had a decent season was with a healthy Weber. Last year doesn't count since Weber broke his foot on game 1. Go back to the first season we got Weber, and Price was looking pretty good. I remember at one point Weber was on the ice for a goal something like once every 3 games.

I know that Weber wouldn't have shot the puck straight up the middle like Benn did last night. Weber knows what to do with the puck in the final minute of a 1 goal game.

Completely agree with you on Weber, and CP does look better than last year.....so ya, i'm hoping he gets back to the Price we saw before December 2016

Reactions: scrubadam

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Roy made 2.6m the year after he won the cup which is equivalent to 11.5m in todays terms since he was making only 75k less then Gretzky... so ya...
nobody cares about your voodoo economics ! the point is that we pay carey price 10.5 million dollars and HE STILL lets in 2 goals against the flames ! Its an outrage !

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
nobody cares about your voodoo economics ! the point is that we pay carey price 10.5 million dollars and HE STILL lets in 2 goals against the flames ! Its an outrage !

I only started practising a few months ago. im stil learning.. the linear curve is strong in this one..

Apr 28, 2010
There was a time when we laughed at, and owned the Leafs, now it seems like it's a big huge accomplishment just to keep pace with them, and we seem satisfied with that?

my how our standards, and times have changed.....for the worse

It is a big accomplishment for the Leafs to be able to finally finish ahead of us, but you don't see them bragging about that, cause they have higher standards, they want the cup

Habs shouldn't have a better record than the Leafs at any point in this season is all I'm saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad