Confirmed with Link: Habs Hire Craig Ramsay Coaching Consultant

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
i remember the Bruins fans/analysts were upset when he left. Not sure of his PP track record, but it seems that his specialty.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good move. At the very least it shows Bergevin is aware of the problem; at most it could be part of the solution.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Here's Ramsay dissecting the St. Louis Blues powerplay last year: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716665

"They're relying on a single-concept power play, which is get it to the point and shoot it, or get it from the point to the half-wall and shoot it," Ramsay said. "So they're looking at 45- and 50-foot shots and hoping for some miracle shot, but I don't see them with that guy, that big-time shooter. Chicago has recognized that and they're just flexing out. They're not ever afraid. They can take a penalty and they don't get scared."

sounds a lot like us honestly. Good move.

G Man 77

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
So this is plan B after we whiffed on Lemaire.

No that it necessarily means anything, but his last 2 stints were with EDM & FLA.. not exactly coming from environments with a lot of success lately.

If he can come in with some new ideas for the PP that can finally get it to work, that's really all I care about. Pretty much on par with the kind of exciting news we can expect in late August in the NHL ;), welcome aboard sir.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I wonder how much control will Ramsey have vis-a-vis Therrien? Can he actually overhaul the power play or will he be stuck trying to optimize desharnais?

quidam1981

Oct 31, 2008
From the NHL.com article:
"The St. Louis Blues are struggling to score on the power play against the Chicago Blackhawks because they're relying too much on the outside shot instead of funneling pucks low and toward the net (...):
"They're relying on a single-concept power play, which is get it to the point and shoot it, or get it from the point to the half-wall and shoot it," Ramsay said. "So they're looking at 45- and 50-foot shots and hoping for some miracle shot (...)"".

Is he talking about the Habs? ;-)

G Man 77

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
I wonder how much control will Ramsey have vis-a-vis Therrien? Can he actually overhaul the power play or will he be stuck trying to optimize desharnais?

From the sounds of it, he's coming in as a part-time consultant.. so he will have no control, just suggestions for the current coaching staff & players.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Love the article. Sure Subban has a heavy', but he has many tools, would like to see him move the puck more and be creative.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
So this is plan B after we whiffed on Lemaire.

No that it necessarily means anything, but his last 2 stints were with EDM & FLA.. not exactly coming from environments with a lot of success lately.

If he can come in with some new ideas for the PP that can finally get it to work, that's really all I care about. Pretty much on par with the kind of exciting news we can expect in late August in the NHL ;), welcome aboard sir.

He keeps terrible teams from having terrible special teams.

11-12 Panthers had the 7th best PP. 12-13 had the 6th best. How bad did Florida's PP get when he was fired? They dropped to 30th.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
When I got the notification I thought we got a new coach and I was about to scream of joy. Anyways good move.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Well, if he's here to improve the PP, then I'll welcome him with open arms. People have talked about the players not being the problem but the personel. Here's the change.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
This is for sure a Rick Dudley hire, Dudley hired Ramsey as his head coach in Atl when he became of the team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Solid hire, the guy has a good reputation and has been in the coaching/managing game since 1984. Even though he was a forward in his playing days he's been known as a good defenseman coach too, I wouldn't -be surprised to see him help there as well.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Here's Ramsay dissecting the St. Louis Blues powerplay last year: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716665

"There is no threat. If in fact you think your power play scores from out high, then you must show them something down low. You must threaten them with a low play to make them respect you and sag. If you can't get them to sag, then penalty killers just giggle."

This exactly. There needs to be a threat down low to open up the points. I really think having Semin will help because even though he's unlikely to be down low, he'll be another dangerous option that the PK has to respect, and will open up others while being a threat himself.

I also think Kassian and perhaps DSP may help in this regard. Have a big guy in front causing all kinds of trouble (with the ability to jam pucks into the net as well) and you force the PK to pay attention to what's happening down low. Again, hopefully opening up other options (Subban, Markov, Galchenyuk, Semin, etc).

A guy like Gallagher does a great job of getting to the net and causing some trouble but D will have an entirely more difficult time with Kassian doing the same thing.

68*

o0o0o0o0o0o0o, that bald guy is Ramsey? Always thought he looked bad ass/alpha behind the bench. So glad to have him on our team now. Can't fire Therrien but you can surround him with people so he appears less dumb.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

"They're relying on a single-concept power play, which is get it to the point and shoot it, or get it from the point to the half-wall and shoot it," Ramsay said

A fresh look ?! :yo:

''Craig, wat do u mean no David on de PP?''

"The low guy never looked to the net, never took it to the net, never tried to pass through the crease, never tried any single thing to make Chicago come down," Ramsay said. "There is no threat. If in fact you think your power play scores from out high, then you must show them something down low. You must threaten them with a low play to make them respect you and sag. If you can't get them to sag, then penalty killers just giggle.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad