Confirmed with Link: Habs Hire Adam Douglas As Director of Sports Science and Performance

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Monday that the team has agreed to terms on a new contract with Adam Douglas to appoint him as the team's new Director, Sports Science and Performance.

Douglas previously served as the Manager, Sports Performance for Hockey Canada Men's High Performance Teams and as IST Lead, Strength and Conditioning for Hockey Canada Women's High Performance Teams. Alongside his work with Hockey Canada, Douglas also served as an Applied Sport Scientist with the Catapult Sports agency. He worked with their hockey clients to ensure that they maximized the usage of wearable technology as well as further driving research and innovation of wearables in the sport.

During his association with Hockey Canada, Douglas was a member of the Canadian teams that won gold medals at the 2015, 2018, and 2020 Men's World Juniors, Sochi 2014 Olympic Games, and 2012 Women's World Championship. In this role, Douglas was in charge of overseeing all elements of physical preparation for Hockey Canada's high-performance programs.

A native of Mississauga, ON, Douglas also worked with the Ottawa Senators in 2008-09, where he designed and oversaw the in-season and off-season individualized strength and conditioning programs for all members of the Ottawa Senators Hockey Club. He also supervised and coached players performing off-season workouts in the Ottawa area.

In addition to his extensive field experience, Douglas holds a bachelor's degree in Physical Education and Health from Queen's University, a master's degree in Kinesiology and Exercise Science, as well as a doctorate in Philosophy, Kinesiology and Exercise Science. Douglas completed his master's degree and Ph.D. from the ranks of the prestigious York University.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Wait...wasn't pierre Allard the equipment guy that they recently honored for having been with the team for like 30 years? Seems like a weird thing for him to just up and leave, no?

That was Pierre Ouellete or Pierre Gervais.

Pierre Allard had been with the Habs since 2010-2011.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wait...wasn't pierre Allard the equipment guy that they recently honored for having been with the team for like 30 years? Seems like a weird thing for him to just up and leave, no?

That's Pierre Gervais.

upload_2021-8-9_12-27-40.jpeg

This is Pierre Allard, who left to coach in Europe, who was with Habs the last 10 seasons. He was Conditioning Coach and was promoted to Director of Sports Science and Performance, a spot he held the last 4 seasons.

upload_2021-8-9_12-28-22.jpeg

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Adam completed his PhD from York University where he studied on-ice player monitoring in elite ice hockey players. Talk about specialized. Along with his other credentials and degrees, an impressive hire.

Astormynight

Apr 19, 2015
I'm not familiar with this job. Let's say he is an amazing hire, what kind of impact can he have? Will it mostly be felt on younger players so it kinda improve our development department?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not familiar with this job. Let's say he is an amazing hire, what kind of impact can he have? Will it mostly be felt on younger players so it kinda improve our development department?

Better conditionning, less ankle sprains?

Reactions: Astormynight

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I can't say I know 100%, but from what I understand, this guy will be helping players in the organization with what players need to do in terms of workouts, nutrition, and what they need to improve on (lower body or upper body) and such things.

I also think he helps with the draft in terms of how draftees test at the combine and maybe having some data from the team the players played for during their draft year.

I've seen Allard in the draft behind the scenes videos stand in front of all the scouts in the draft meetings and he's explaining to them that this player had good results, others have red flags, and such things. Not in the sense of their play style, but their conditioning and such.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I don't want to insult anyone, and I don't want slag Adam Douglas, but York University is not prestigious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad