News Article: Habs Have Given Permission to Florida to Speak with Scott Mellanby (Sean Burke Also Interviewed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Mellanby has been a major factor in pro-scouting...you know the one aspect that MB has been very good at, making trades

Or signing the likes of Karl Alzner. There's as much trades for shit players to counter the good ones.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you crazy!!?? What would happen to our PP!!??

Here is the funny part... Muller was not really a PP guy when he played. Our PP is too predictable and they have embedded a flawed culture or virus that all our players have caught at this stage. Not enough separation and way to predicable. Way too soft too cause when they get in trouble with puck possession, they loose the puck and down the ice 9/10 times.

The tools we have are for a 5/5 team. We lack shooters and puck possession guys for our PP. Don't see that changing anytime soon. The only guy capable of entries with possession on our back end is Petry.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Or signing the likes of Karl Alzner. There's as much trades for shit players to counter the good ones.

Alzner was a bad signing, not a trade though. You say there is as much bad trades as good ones? Seriously? Way to exaggerate your frustration with management. Not cool but don't expect you to stop. It's kind of like what Leafs fans do though right? Do you really want to let frustrations get the best of you where you think almost everything is bad? Come on man

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Alzner was a bad signing, not a trade though. You say there is as much bad trades as good ones? Seriously?

I did write signing Alzner. And yeah there's been plentiful of trades for horrible players : Allen, King, Ott, Drewiske, Parros

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I did write signing Alzner. And yeah there's been plentiful of trades for horrible players : Allen, King, Ott, Drewiske, Parros

You really think those trades hurt us? What a joke. You forgot Al Montoya... We traded a huge asset in a 4th round pick for him. Mitchell, Schlemko, and man... that 6th round pick for Ott. We could have gotten another Gallagher very easily with that pick.

giphy.gif

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
You really think those trades hurt us? What a joke. You forgot Al Montoya... We traded a huge asset in a 4th round pick for him. Mitchell, Schlemko, and man... that 6th round pick for Ott. We could have gotten another Gallagher very easily with that pick.

Where did I say these trades hurt us? I said he made a lot of bad trades for trash players. My whole point stands on the fact that the pro scouting has had plenty of miss, what we gave for really don't mean anything.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What did they give up in those trades to say they lost them? MB has an unbelievably successful trade record. I’m not talking about it his team building or GMing record only isolating the trade wins vs losses. Extremely high success rate

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
What did they give up in those trades to say they lost them? MB has an unbelievably successful trade record. I’m not talking about it his team building or GMing record only isolating the trade wins vs losses. Extremely high success rate

I did not say they lost the trades, come on guys you can read better. I said they traded for plentiful of shitty players to show how the pro scouting wasn't that great.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where did I say these trades hurt us? I said he made a lot of bad trades for trash players. My whole point stands on the fact that the pro scouting has had plenty of miss, what we gave for really don't mean anything.

I believe you said for as much good trades, there is bad trades. I don't think you have a leg to stand on when you bring up trades like the Ott trade. Focus on the Drouin/Sergachev trade

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He lost those trades because during Carey Price's best season ever, the team was anemic and couldn't score. Instead of nutting up and making trades to get some offense, he got a bunch of useless fodder for late round picks who contributed nothing at all.

They then lost in the first round in which Price put up ridiculous numbers but the team scored 1.8 goals per game (like they always do in the Bergevin era against starting goalies) and were out in 6 games.

Yeah, no one is gonna fault me for buying seat covers for my car at a price of $1 but when its missing a f***ing tire, I should probably go out and get one of those.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
I believe you said for as much good trades, there is bad trades. I don't think you have a leg to stand on when you bring up trades like the Ott trade. Focus on the Drouin/Sergachev trade

Then you read whatever you want to read because here's exactly what I said :

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I did not say they lost the trades, come on guys you can read better. I said they traded for plentiful of shitty players to show how the pro scouting wasn't that great.
That makes zero sense? How many top end players get dealt during a season? Majority of those deals only happen in the off-season due to cap impacts

Mellanby also camped out in a Russia for two years wooing Panarin before any other team, and Hawks came in at last minute to scoop him up - Habs lost out because of the Mtl factor.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He lost those trades because during Carey Price's best season ever, the team was anemic and couldn't score. Instead of nutting up and making trades to get some offense, he got a bunch of useless fodder for late round picks who contributed nothing at all.

They then lost in the first round in which Price put up ridiculous numbers but the team scored 1.8 goals per game (like they always do in the Bergevin era against starting goalies) and were out in 6 games.

Yeah, no one is gonna fault me for buying seat covers for my car at a price of $1 but when its missing a f***ing tire, I should probably go out and get one of those.
Are you talking 2014-2015 best ever season? Was Petry not acquired at the deadline, Gonchar earlier that season to help groom Beaulieu, along with 4th line speed of Mitchell at deadline?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then you read whatever you want to read because here's exactly what I said :

You then said Ott and others in the next post. Your not looking good there bud. Most teams make trades like that and give up late picks. Knights traded for Cousins and he is playing center for them at the moment.

You pissed off we have Wiese? Huge problem eh? :laugh:

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
You then said Ott and others in the next post. Your not looking good there bud. Most teams make trades like that and give up late picks. Knights traded for Cousins and he is playing center for them at the moment.

You pissed off we have Wiese? Huge problem eh? :laugh:

Not only are you completely missing my point on purpose but you're trying to discredit me. I'm done trying to argue.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not only are you completely missing my point on purpose but you're trying to discredit me. I'm done trying to argue.

Sure. Next time don't target moves like Ott. Whatever your point is, it's meaningless when you bring up players like Ott. It was a depth move and who cares if he sits to watch the game or plays 4th line.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Petry for both stabilizing 2nd pair D, driving offense from backend and PP impact

So that's all they needed? A team that continually struggled to score goals just needed a 2nd pair offensive defenseman?

'Cause it was not enough and all the little farts he made on the deadline for depth forwards didn't do anything.

You can putter around and make good value trades all you want, but if you fail to address the core issues with a team and you fail to establish a vision and work meaningfully towards it, your work is dog shit.

And since Scott Mellanby was a part of this evaluation, I'll be glad when he's gone.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So that's all they needed? A team that continually struggled to score goals just needed a 2nd pair offensive defenseman?

'Cause it was not enough and all the little farts he made on the deadline for depth forwards didn't do anything.

You can putter around and make good value trades all you want, but if you fail to address the core issues with a team and you fail to establish a vision and work meaningfully towards it, your work is dog shit.

And since Scott Mellanby was a part of this evaluation, I'll be glad when he's gone.
2015 trade deadline deals which player that was transacted would’ve been that blue chipper?

Every trade made on NHL deadline day

The biggest issue with the Mtl Canadiens is that they play in what players view as amongst the NHL s*ithole - sure some nice strip joints, restaurants but that’s nice stuff to visit living there means more taxes, cold winters & rabid media / fan base.

NY provides the urban feel of Mtl without anyone even knowing what a hockey player looks like..

That’s the hurdle, Houle was supposed to be an upgrade on Serge Savard, Andre Savard an upgrade on Houle, Gainey an upgrade on his predecessors, MB on his predecessors coming from the mighty Hawks org...on & on it goes there’s only one common theme...the city they GM for.

Move Habs to Houston even with MB as GM and I guarantee a Cup contender in 1-2 off seasons...

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Other than Alzner, Bergevin hasn't really acquired any players who have hurt the team. There were a few bunts that didn't pan out like King, Martinsen and Ott, but it isn't like the team gave up a lot for them.

Reactions: Archijerej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad