Proposal: HABS gone UFA MAD!!

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I said it before and I maintain this now, the only way Tavares was coming to Montreal, and the only way they could salvage this current roster to compete was if we won the draft lottery and grabbed Dahlin.

The best selling point being a 31 year old goalie who missed most of the last season does not inspire a lot of confidence

Reactions: haveandare

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Again.....What is the magical incentive for Tavares to sign in Montreal.
They are not a well designed team.
They are not playoff contenders.
They are not cup contenders.
Why, exactly, would Tavares wiilingly sign there when there will be actual Cup contending teams offering him good money “PLUS” a chance at the Cup?
Hab fans need to just stop and realize their team as been gutted and destroyed by Marc Bergevin and there is nothing they can do about it but watch and wait for the inevitable change of management.

PS: this also applies to Stastny. Zero incentive for him to sign in Montreal.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
There are no 1st pairing left D available on the UFA market and CDH can take the weber pairing until Mete is ready
I’m not that familiar with mete. Can someone tell me something about him. I know he’s really young and playing which is always impressive, but is the consensus that he will be a 1st pair D at some point?

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Again.....What is the magical incentive for Tavares to sign in Montreal.
They are not a well designed team.
They are not playoff contenders.
They are not cup contenders.
Why, exactly, would Tavares wiilingly sign there when there will be actual Cup contending teams offering him good money “PLUS” a chance at the Cup?
Hab fans need to just stop and realize their team as been gutted and destroyed by Marc Bergevin and there is nothing they can do about it but watch and wait for the inevitable change of management.

PS: this also applies to Stastny. Zero incentive for him to sign in Montreal.

The magical incentive is getting the most lucrative contract in the history of the NHL! I think it is a legit reason to sign a contract. Montreal are not well designed because they are missing centers and a left D to play with Weber. Tavares could be tempted to think that he solved Habs biggest issue and therefore make the team competitive again.

If Stastny sees the Habs signing Tavares, he may well be tempted to solve Habs second biggest issue of not having a 2nd line C.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The magical incentive is getting the most lucrative contract in the history of the NHL! I think it is a legit reason to sign a contract. Montreal are not well designed because they are missing centers and a left D to play with Weber. Tavares could be tempted to think that he solved Habs biggest issue and therefore make the team competitive again.

If Stastny sees the Habs signing Tavares, he may well be tempted to solve Habs second biggest issue of not having a 2nd line C.
He's been wasting away on the Isles his entire career, I doubt he values a little extra money over a real chance to win when he knows he will be paid an insane amount either way.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
The best chance MTL would have at signing Tavares would be to create a situation where he is a finishing piece in creating a contender. Basically an excellent team if the 1C is it's only major weakness. Current roster would be a tough sell.

I think it entirely depends on three things before July 1st:

1. Can the Habs add another C that could play 2C at an elite level. The obvious answer here would be ROR, but if the asking price is the 3rd overall that's a gamble I don't think Bergevin should or would make. I know HF posters seem to think that Buffalo is asking for the 3OA but I highly doubt that Carolina or Montreal's current offers included those picks.

2. Can the Habs add an LD that shores up their defensive instability? Mete/Petry will be a solid 2nd pairing, but if we can somehow find a way to add a mobile offensive defenseman to play with Weber, we will have an acceptably strong defensive group.

3. Can the Habs draft a player that can play this season in an effective way? Whether it's Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Zadina or Hughes, the Habs need to draft a player that can be impactful as early as this season.

I think the biggest struggle of the pack will be #2 --- but the Habs can manage to add a 2C and an acceptable 2LD without moving their 3rd overall pick, they could make a serious pitch to Tavares.

Regardless of what HF posters think, the Habs would be a cup-competitive team with two centers and another LD. A world class goaltender, an elite 1D, an elite 1C, a great 2C, a great 3D and fantastic scoring depth --- the team would be very competitive. We have four second round picks to play around with, and outside of being able to draft Merkley in the second round, I think the Habs should be willing to part ways with them all for the right pieces.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Just waiting for a blockbuster 3-way trade between Bargain Bin, Dorion and Chiarelli - between the three of them, someone has to win a trade, right??

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
He's been wasting away on the Isles his entire career, I doubt he values a little extra money over a real chance to win when he knows he will be paid an insane amount either way.

And why would he not have a real chance to win on the Habs if they now have a #1C? Habs are missing a #1& 2C and a left D to play with Weber to become contenders in my opinion. With the #1C found, the 2 other pieces are easier to find

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You're a lot of fun!

Most probable scenario, Habs have Drouin as the #1C, Domi as the #2C and Plekanec has Weber's new left D partner....
Drouin isn't a center he'll be playing wing and Domi will be playing wing also. Weber will be playing with a number of LD partners . Plekanec signing as a 4th line center is very possible.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I'm pretty sure Tavarres has no interest in Montreal considering he definitely wants to go to someone who will contend. The Islanders are better than the Montreal FA team.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I'm pretty sure Tavarres has no interest in Montreal considering he definitely wants to go to someone who will contend. The Islanders are better than the Montreal FA team.

Islanders have no goalie and no defense and even with Tavares they what made the playoffs once? That on top of having an empty building and having to move in a couple of years.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Islanders have no goalie and no defense and even with Tavares they what made the playoffs once? That on top of having an empty building and having to move in a couple of years.
yet way more competitive than the Canadians last season and have Barzal going into his sophomore season....its a bit easier to find at least a descent goalie than to fix the ton of issues the Canadians have and even with him on the team the centers overall aren't good.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Just because MTL has money doesn't mean anyone is going to want to play for them. They are a bad team and the media/fan base is insufferable to the point where its an extremely unhealthy working environment.

I'm sure there could be a player that they would be able to overpay to come there but many of the high end guys will be looking to win and that's not happening in MTL any time soon.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
yet way more competitive than the Canadians last season and have Barzal going into his sophomore season....its a bit easier to find at least a descent goalie than to fix the ton of issues the Canadians have and even with him on the team the centers overall aren't good.

Please tell us what the Habs ton of issues are??

The OP mentions signing Tavares and Stastny. With Danault this would be an excellent group of centers

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The NHL's most storied franchise center situation is so historically bad that it has turned GM "already not so sharp" Bergevin MAD!!

With a projected cap of $80M, Habs currently have $19.1M of cap space.

At the draft , Habs trade Pacioretty ($4.5M) for a high pick and prospect and Andrew Shaw with with 25% retention ($2.9M) for a low pick.

On July 1st, Habs have $26.5M of Cap and go crazy:

1st Sign 27 yrs old Tavares 7 years at $13M!
2nd Sign 32 year old Stastny 4 years at $6M
3rd Sign Calvin De Haan 6 years at $4.5M

Internally Habs sign Danault $3M and De La Rose $0.8M and put $1.1M Jordie Benn on waiver

Why would Tavares comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Money baby, money, money moneyyyy.
Why would Stastny comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Tavares makes the Habs a contender.
Why would Calvin De Haan comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Tavares makes the Habs a contender and the chance to play on the 1st pair with Weber.

Drouin Tavares Gallager
Domi Stastny Lehkonen
Hudon Danault Scherbak
Deslaurier De La Rose Byron
Froese

CDH Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Reilly

Price
Niemi

Welcome to Cap hell!!

Leafs can juggle and match/exceed on Tavares, + they are his home.

The rest, however, looks like a cliff you can jump off of, if you wish.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And Bergevin is the guy who can pull this off?
146706443.0.jpg

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa
Get out of your insane state of denial. Your team NEEDS A REBUILD. The sooner you guys actually do it right, the sooner you will be back on track.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The NHL's most storied franchise center situation is so historically bad that it has turned GM "already not so sharp" Bergevin MAD!!

With a projected cap of $80M, Habs currently have $19.1M of cap space.

At the draft , Habs trade Pacioretty ($4.5M) for a high pick and prospect and Andrew Shaw with with 25% retention ($2.9M) for a low pick.

On July 1st, Habs have $26.5M of Cap and go crazy:

1st Sign 27 yrs old Tavares 7 years at $13M!
2nd Sign 32 year old Stastny 4 years at $6M
3rd Sign Calvin De Haan 6 years at $4.5M

Internally Habs sign Danault $3M and De La Rose $0.8M and put $1.1M Jordie Benn on waiver

Why would Tavares comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Money baby, money, money moneyyyy.
Why would Stastny comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Tavares makes the Habs a contender.
Why would Calvin De Haan comes to the Habs "tire fire **** hole". Tavares makes the Habs a contender and the chance to play on the 1st pair with Weber.

Drouin Tavares Gallager
Domi Stastny Lehkonen
Hudon Danault Scherbak
Deslaurier De La Rose Byron
Froese

CDH Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Reilly

Price
Niemi

Welcome to Cap hell!!

I really enjoyed your enthusiasm:laugh:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Get out of your insane state of denial. Your team NEEDS A REBUILD. The sooner you guys actually do it right, the sooner you will be back on track.

you are kind of right .... but Tavares is pretty much the last hope to be competitive, if that does not (and 95% chances it won't) then it all about rebuilding

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Please tell us what the Habs ton of issues are??

The OP mentions signing Tavares and Stastny. With Danault this would be an excellent group of centers

What are the Habs issues?
Carey Price couldn't stop a beach ball last year and is signed for 8 more years at $10.5 M.

A soon to be 35 year old back up in Niemi who was so bad last year he was given up on twice.
He played well for the Canadiens when there was no pressure but I wouldn't count on him not reverting back to the sub .900 goalie he has been for the past two years.

A soon to be 33 year old declining 1D who is almost an $8 M cap hit for the next 8 years.

The worst center depth in the league.

Their AHL team in the worst in the league so there is no help coming.

One of the worst GMs in the League.

Internal rules limiting the coach/GM pool based on being bilingual.

These are the most obvious problems.
I think the best course of action would be to fire the GM after the draft (it's too late for this year), use their many picks in this years draft to replenish the farm, make better use of their AHL team in developing those picks, trade Weber before his value diminishes further and explain to their fan base that the rebuild will take years to fix the mess.
Tank...Tank...Tank for a top 5 pick next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad