Post-Game Talk: Habs forget that there was a game tonight. Lose 5-0 to the Sharks

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I honestly don't mind this forward group. With proper coaching and a defense capable of, well, playing NHL level defense, I think they could be a real force. But alas, we don't have that, so the forward group is like you said, the definition of redundancy.
I think they are hilariously unbalanced. The winger group is ridiculously deep at the expense of C and D.

I also don't think this forward group was assembled with an eye to how different skillsets complement each other. That's why we can't come up with lines that make sense.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I dunno how Price feels about the actual situation. If he was already depressed, that won't help him for sure. Can you imagine if he comes back on a team with a 5-20-5 record ?

Some people were laughing about the importance of leadership on a team. With Weber, Price, Perry, Danault Edmundson and Byron away, we can easily see the impact.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I dunno how Price feels about the actual situation. If he was already depressed, that won't help him for sure. Can you imagine if he comes back on a team with a 5-20-5 record ?

Some people were laughing about the importance of leadership on a team. With Weber, Price, Perry, Danault Edmundson and Byron away, we can easily see the impact.

To be fair, this is literally how they ended last regular season too with those guys.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
He's not the savior; he's an important piece we lost without replacing. Evans isn't a 3c. Evans is a 3rd line winger or a 4c. Danault is an elite 3c, who often plays the most minutes because his job is to shutdown the opposition's top lines.

You can't lose an important piece like that and not have repurcussions. The reality is Dvorak is a short term at least upgrade over KK. Having Danault with Evans and Gallagher on his wing is not comparable to Just Evans and then Paquette at 4c.

Price or no Price, that's a step back.

If Suzuki, Toffoli, Dvorak, Hoffman, Anderson, Gallagher, Caufiled... Were playing like top-6ers, maybe Evans would look better, the #3C spot is the least of our problems.

We are missing Price, Weber and Edmundson, these players were/are more important to the team than Danault ever was. But in reality, the problem is deeper than that, we are not playing well, every player is struggling, it's not normal. It's probably a tactical/preparation problem, all our players forgot how to play hockey.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Losing Perry is, to me, the major blowout of this offseason. He's a vet that kids will look up to. He was often the best player on the ice and someone who always gave it all in every game, even more when the team was playing pretty poorly (like these days).

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head

I hope he's not watching that shit show, for his own sake...

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
upload_2021-10-20_18-50-8.jpeg

Reactions: dkd

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

4-5 dman with a penchant for penalties and icings... terribly miscast as a top 2-3 dman and playing next to another 4-5 dman highlights this with very little doubt.

trading him before the deadline is necessary, absolutely no point in keeping Savard and Chiarot and Edmundson on the roster past this season.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Most of the guys here have either played with those guys or have been on rosters with similar types of guys that fill leadership roles. I guess that I am left to wonder if any of these guys learned anything from the whole experience because right now it is not looking like it.

Reactions: dinodebino

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Most of the guys here have either played with those guys or have been on rosters with similar types of guys that fill leadership roles. I guess that I am left to wonder if any of these guys learned anything from the whole experience because right now it is not looking like it.

Gallagher, Petry, Toffoli, Savard, Paquette, Perreault, Chiarot, Allen... this roster, as is, is not lacking in experience, playoff success or "leadership".... nor are undefeated teams like the Sabres, Panthers, Wild or Oilers exactly swimming in it.

that's the kind of false narrative/excuse spin superficial media types (or GMs) love to spout off about even if completely ungrounded

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Gallagher, Petry, Toffoli, Savard, Paquette, Perreault, Chiarot, Allen... this roster, as is, is not lacking in experience, playoff success or "leadership".... nor are undefeated teams like the Sabres, Panthers, Wild or Oilers exactly swimming in it.

that's the kind of false narrative/excuse spin superficial media types (or GMs) love to spout off about even if completely ungrounded
Exactly. The most concerning thing for me is how they are losing games. They are not even executing basic assignments especially defensively. They are completely out of sync as a team. Our D is bad but with the level of experience back there, things shouldn’t be this way.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Exactly. The most concerning thing for me is how they are losing games. They are not even executing basic assignments especially defensively. They are completely out of sync as a team. Our D is bad but with the level of experience back there, things shouldn’t be this way.

Yeah... this next game will be interesting.

I thinks it's going to be further implosion, but I'm thinking there's a serious rot in the room on top of it being a terribly assembled roster.

They are playing like a group that has zero confidence in the organization they represent and are collectively biding time until dominoes start falling.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Imagine that, after 10 years, remove the two biggest pieces he inherited (Price-Subban) and this is what amounts to what Bergevin built, the team we're seeing right now. Minus Edmundson (least we forget)

The fact they are missing shouldn't be an excuse to the team's poor performance, but an indictment of just how little has been added in terms of sum talent. After. 10. Years.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
no. They finished in the Finals.

Regular season is what he wrote...

The fluke playoff run was fun for all of us, but the 13-9 playoff run doesn't really change much about the overall picture... we were a roster built for losing more games than we would win last year (37-30-8), and we are built just as poorly, and likely worse thanks to MBs offseason decisions, this year...

Reactions: Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
no. They finished in the Finals.

Last 5 games of the regular season:
522021-05-05@Ottawa Senators15L24199L 12:27
532021-05-06@Toronto Maple Leafs25L24209L 22:23
542021-05-08@Toronto Maple Leafs23L24219L 32:29
552021-05-10Edmonton Oilers34LOT242110L 42:26
562021-05-12Edmonton Oilers34LOT242111L 52:18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I guess technically they scored more with that leadership than today.

In last 5 seasons, 295 regular season games, Montreal has 128 wins. This prorates to 35 wins/82 games...this is a top 10 pick guaranteed and ranks down there with the rebuilding teams like Ducks/Kings/Sabres/Senators/Wings/Coyotes.

Jul 6, 2016
Last 5 games of the regular season:
522021-05-05@Ottawa Senators15L24199L 12:27
532021-05-06@Toronto Maple Leafs25L24209L 22:23
542021-05-08@Toronto Maple Leafs23L24219L 32:29
552021-05-10Edmonton Oilers34LOT242110L 42:26
562021-05-12Edmonton Oilers34LOT242111L 52:18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I guess technically they scored more with that leadership than today.

In last 5 seasons, 295 regular season games, Montreal has 128 wins. This prorates to 35 wins/82 games...this is a top 10 pick guaranteed and ranks down there with the rebuilding teams like Ducks/Kings/Sabres/Senators/Wings/Coyotes.

I all know about that. But they way they really "finished" was in the Playoffs.

Jul 6, 2016
Regular season is what he wrote...

The fluke playoff run was fun for all of us, but the 13-9 playoff run doesn't really change much about the overall picture... we were a roster built for losing more games than we would win last year (37-30-8), and we are built just as poorly, and likely worse thanks to MBs offseason decisions, this year...

Fluke ???? beating Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas was no small achievement.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Everyone talks about the loss of Price and Weber. But I think the biggest problem when you watch the games is that we can't create momentum/drive possession. For that reason I think the biggest issues right now is probably the loss of Tatar/Danault/Gallagher. That line consistently played over its talent level and carried the team even in games where they did not score.

I think most really underrate how important that line was in the regular season because of last playoffs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Fluke ???? beating Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas was no small achievement.
Do you think we even beat Toronto if not for the weird injury to Tavares?
Doesn't take anything away from the team, they hustled hard and made the best out of their situation, but as often is the case, luck needs to be on your side.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I honestly don't mind this forward group. With proper coaching and a defense capable of, well, playing NHL level defense, I think they could be a real force. But alas, we don't have that, so the forward group is like you said, the definition of redundancy.
Not sure its that good, we have some decent depth on wing but redundant. Our center situation worsened, if that was even possible..

Reactions: LaP

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If Suzuki, Toffoli, Dvorak, Hoffman, Anderson, Gallagher, Caufiled... Were playing like top-6ers, maybe Evans would look better, the #3C spot is the least of our problems.

We are missing Price, Weber and Edmundson, these players were/are more important to the team than Danault ever was. But in reality, the problem is deeper than that, we are not playing well, every player is struggling, it's not normal. It's probably a tactical/preparation problem, all our players forgot how to play hockey.
Most of the players you mentioned aren't good at creating offense on their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad