Post-Game Talk: Habs forget that there was a game tonight. Lose 5-0 to the Sharks

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Fluke ???? beating Toronto, Winnipeg and Vegas was no small achievement.

yes indeed, it was no small achievement. Doesn't mean we need to ignore the massive fortuitous aspects of it.

Tavares, Muzzin, Schiefle, Demelo, Stephenson... vs Petry missing 1.5 games but otherwise icing a full regular roster for entirety of the playoffs.

Reactions: LaP

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I all know about that. But they way they really "finished" was in the Playoffs.

The problem is whatever finish in the playoffs doesn't matter in regular season. Their play in regular season matches their play in last regular season.

Reactions: LaP

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not sure its that good, we have some decent depth on wing but redundant. Our center situation worsened, if that was even possible..

The centre situation is still far better than it was like five years ago when an aging Plekanec was our only hope as a top six quality guy in the position. While we are a little thin at the middle for sure, Suzuki and Dvorak give me some optimism.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The centre situation is still far better than it was like five years ago when an aging Plekanec was our only hope as a top six quality guy in the position. While we are a little thin at the middle for sure, Suzuki and Dvorak give me some optimism.

We just need one more center.

At one point we had Phil, Kk, Suzuki, Domi, Poehling, and we didn't know how it would work out with 5 centers for 3 spots. Phil failed, Poehling it seems won't be a center, in the NHL, Domi quit on the team, and the KK got offered the moon and was replaced by Dvorak.

So we're left with Dvorak and Suzuki. We need one more. Not easy to get an elite 3c like Phil, a good tweener 2/3c.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
yes indeed, it was no small achievement. Doesn't mean we need to ignore the massive fortuitous aspects of it.

Tavares, Muzzin, Schiefle, Demelo, Stephenson... vs Petry missing 1.5 games but otherwise icing a full regular roster for entirety of the playoffs.

Petry was playing with one hand, Weber with one leg and one arm.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure I agree, but even if it's better, that doesn't say much.

Dvorak needs to improve his game, and Suzuki isn't looking all that great to start the year either.

But the point is we are still in this crap situation of being mediocre down the middle.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not sure I agree, but even if it's better, that doesn't say much.

Dvorak needs to improve his game, and Suzuki isn't looking all that great to start the year either.

But the point is we are still in this crap situation of being mediocre down the middle.

I don't think anyone looks good to start this year, and that's probably not on the players alone. We've seen what Suzuki can do and he's still only 22.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
We just need one more center.

At one point we had Phil, Kk, Suzuki, Domi, Poehling, and we didn't know how it would work out with 5 centers for 3 spots. Phil failed, Poehling it seems won't be a center, in the NHL, Domi quit on the team, and the KK got offered the moon and was replaced by Dvorak.

So we're left with Dvorak and Suzuki. We need one more. Not easy to get an elite 3c like Phil, a good tweener 2/3c.

I wonder if Riley Kidney can make the team next year, maybe he's the center we've been looking for. Looks like a steal from the draft. This year might be a retooling year, drafting top 10 and developing the young core, next year looks brighter, you will have rookie Dman making the team too helping the transition.

Reactions: 26Mats

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem is whatever finish in the playoffs doesn't matter in regular season. Their play in regular season matches their play in last regular season.

I agree. People always talk about how LA was built for the playoffs but people conveniently dismiss how lucky they were to even make the playoffs when they won their first cup. They had only 95 points that year and made the playoffs by finishing 8th in their conference. They were 5 points ahead of the 9th position but their record was 40-27-15 which is very average. They basically made it because of their 15 OT losses points cause they were 17th in the league for ROW so actually outside the playoffs. They had a stronger regular season when they won their 2nd cup but for the first they were lucky to just be in.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I wonder if Riley Kidney can make the team next year, maybe he's the center we've been looking for. Looks like a steal from the draft. This year might be a retooling year, drafting top 10 and developing the young core, next year looks brighter, you will have rookie Dman making the team too helping the transition.

I'de sell a kidney to know it.

ok, ok, i'll show myself out ;)

Mysack and Kidney have to make the lineup the potential for play on words with then is infinite.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

1) while this is true, I hope Molson doesn't buy this as MB's pitch to be back.

2) While we need a center, what we need most is talent at any position. I hope it's a top 5 pick and we take the best talent available. I actually trust Timmins when he's taking BPA (Price, McDonagh, Sergachev, Caufield), but not when he's reaching for a center or size (Galchenyuk, KK, McCarron, etc...). The AK pick was just a bad pick when he went for talent. But I think, if he's making the pick, he'll do well if goes BPA.

3) Most probably want to give Kidney 2 post draft years of development, like Suzuki, Caufield, and Guhle. So maybe sign a stop gap C in the ufa market. Derrick Brassard, who I wanted as our 4c over paquette this offseason, is doing pretty well in Philly. But let's hope Kidney is the real deal!

Reactions: FF de Mars

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Actually the D seems really messed up when half the D are not playing.

Weber's not coming back... I didn't realize Edmundson would be out long term, but it looks like it will be a while. Certainly the right thing for him, also the right thing for the team if they go for the draft pick.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think anyone looks good to start this year, and that's probably not on the players alone. We've seen what Suzuki can do and he's still only 22.
We've seen what he can do in less games with more support. Dvorak is not providing the same support Danault did. Suze is also facing off versus top opponents now and he hasn't looked really good. Offensively too, he has created very little.

Ya its early, still not a good look.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Petry was playing with one hand, Weber with one leg and one arm.

every team had players, including key players, playing through injuries... they play through injuries because they are better alternatives to the taxi squad, which is what the teams we played against had to resort to given that they had key players who could not play at all... big difference.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
every team had players, including key players, playing through injuries... they play through injuries because they are better alternatives to the taxi squad, which is what the teams we played against had to resort to given that they had key players who could not play at all... big difference.

players playing with injuries versus can't play all have to be taken into account...

But we didn't have Petry for the finals. We had a Petry that couldn't take a slap shot and could barely handle the puck. Was a really stupid move on the organization's part to not have that camera hole plugged, and it just might have cost us the cup.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
players playing with injuries versus can't play all have to be taken into account...

But we didn't have Petry for the finals. We had a Petry that couldn't take a slap shot and could barely handle the puck. Was a really stupid move on the organization's part to not have that camera hole plugged, and it just might have cost us the cup.
No it wouldn't have. Petry doesn't produce in the playoffs.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

i love your optimism... i just don't share it. Petry fully healthy doesn't do anything to change the wallop the Bolts gave us imo... and besides, Bolts lost Killorn alltogether in that series opener... and on their end, had their share of banged up players, including hedman playing on a torn meniscus, McD & Goodrow both playing with broken hands, Kucherov played the finals with a broken rib requiring pain med injections before each game... so yeah, Petry and others being banged up is just par for the course. Every team we played against had a key top-6 player out of the lineup, and the laffs (last 2 games) and Jets also had a top-pairing dman out... not comparable. We got damn lucky in the post-season on the injury front in a way that few teams rarely are.

just look at how dreadful our defense looks now, with a healthy Petry, and a healthy Savard replacing the banged up playoff version of Weber... If Suzuki or Danault had been out, or Petry or Weber had missed a whole series, our playoffs would've stopped dead at that point.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
The Habs would still be 0-4 even with Price. The issues aren’t around goaltending. It’s around the defence and not being able to score more than a goal a game.

Maybe so but Price would somehow have this team better than 0-4. Throw a shutout in there.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Price is our best player and is making $10.5 mil. I don't get when people bring up Price as a negative, but are fine with McDavid.

I get what you mean in that he can mask a lot of our issues, but he is also the best player.

Your best player shouldn't be your goalie. McDavid > Price

Reactions: amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad