Habs finally win a opener 4-3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
...sad...the way these sheep from LEAFSnet, oops, I mean Sportsnet, describe the game you'd think the Leafs dominated and we only won because of dumb luck...of course there's no mention that Reilly's goal was just as fluky as Pleks winner...or that the first Leaf goal, which they describe so sublimely, was offside...or that after the 1st period, Montreal outshot the Leafs 26-16 and controlled the Lion's Share of the O-Zone play...I miss TSN already...at least a few of them tried to be unbiased on occassion...:shakehead:rant::shakehead

Blogs from Arthur & Johnson I read today praising the Habs and saying how good they are. They're both Toronto writers, btw.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Galchenyuk did well in some battles along the boards & behind the net, last year he wasn't so great in that area (understandable as a young rookie). He seems to have found more confidence in his size & strength, playing more like a grown man against other men. Good sign of progress in his development.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Galchenyuk did well in some battles along the boards & behind the net, last year he wasn't so great in that area (understandable as a young rookie). He seems to have found more confidence in his size & strength, playing more like a grown man against other men. Good sign of progress in his development.

Still think he needs to engage his entire body more.. He relies too much on his stick.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
...sad...the way these sheep from LEAFSnet, oops, I mean Sportsnet, describe the game you'd think the Leafs dominated and we only won because of dumb luck...of course there's no mention that Reilly's goal was just as fluky as Pleks winner...or that the first Leaf goal, which they describe so sublimely, was offside...or that after the 1st period, Montreal outshot the Leafs 26-16 and controlled the Lion's Share of the O-Zone play...I miss TSN already...at least a few of them tried to be unbiased on occassion...:shakehead:rant::shakehead

RDS and TVA Sports are even more pro-Hab biased. Normal.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I don't think there was any strong positive, or negative. It was a very sloppy game, like most opening night games. Rust was very present. Some nice plays here and there, some bad plays here and there, plenty of work to do.
Great to walk away with the W.
The passing in the OZ wasn't sharp. Too many passes didn't reach their intended receiver.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Blogs from Arthur & Johnson I read today praising the Habs and saying how good they are. They're both Toronto writers, btw.

...you'll notice I was referring to Sportsnet, the supposed NATIONAL Broadcaster, not a couple of beat writers...

RDS and TVA Sports are even more pro-Hab biased. Normal.

...how does a regional coverage bias compare to the supposed NATIONAL broadcaster, you know, the guys that are suppose to be impartial and just report the game??...yeah, RDS coverage is biased for the Habs (regional), just like LEAFSTV was for the Leafs (regional), as well as every other regional broadcast is for their team...we're talking about the NATIONAL broadcaster of NHL hockey in Canada...they managed to cover the Canucks-Flames game impartially after ours...just sad...:shakehead

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I thought it was a bit of a sloppy game. Some lucky and unlucky bounces and this game could've gone either way.

-Pleks was great. About time he got some offensive chances.
-Max was good
- Price was good
-Eller had a bad game. But he's stuck with freaking Bork who's back to being Bork.
- PK didn't really stand out last night like he usually does
- Markov played a solid game. Like PK he didn't really stand out that much but he played well defensively.
- Beaulieu should be paired with PK. I don't like Emelin on the top pairing
- Still don't like DD's game. He muffed on a few plays last night and I hate that he's our first line center. Good play on that pass though.
- Hate that we don't (can't?) clear the front of the net better than we do.
- Nice to win an opening game for a change.
- Our PP sucked last night
- Always seem down to the Leafs level no matter what. Another typical game against them but it was great to win.
I was more worried that the Leafs would play up to the level expected of the Habs. Sometimes they did but they still made some Leafian mistakes. What conclusion can we draw from that? The Habs are still better than the Leafs even when they don't play as well as they did in the last playoffs. However, they shouldn't take things for granted. The Habs are vulnerable to lesser opponents when they let down.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
At the very least, the reasonable thing to do would be to swap Gallagher and Sekac. Gally has proven chemistry with Eller and fits a lot more his style of play, while Sekac looked good with Plekanec when given the chance. Also, more offensive talent in my opinion than Gallagher, and thus and even better 2nd line.

Conversely, Gallagher would get less ice time.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Is it just me or do the videos not work on either NHL.com or canadiens.com all I want is to see the highlights. :(

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I argued about Emelin needing to play on his natural wing ever since he was removed from it. It was always obvious for me because I played close attention to him.
His pass to Plekanec for that breakaway goal is a perfect example of something he just wouldn't be able to do on his off side. His hitting timing will also improve, not to mention positioning.
I'm expecting a big year from Emelin.

As for Markov, I'm not really happy he got 26min of ice time. I think it's important for us to manage his minutes more.

As for being impressed, I wasn't really by anybody, rust was very visible. Tape to tape passes were rare. Lots of sloppy plays. But as I posted before, it's all expected in game 1.

Aside from the pleks pass, I thought he was easily the worst dman back there, out-of-position, scrambling, lost/confused. Personally, I thought he was very bad tonight. Not the brightest guy on the ice for sure.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
...you'll notice I was referring to Sportsnet, the supposed NATIONAL Broadcaster, not a couple of beat writers...

You'll notice who Chris Johnson works for, if you do a little research. And Bruce Arthur is one of the biggest sports writers around, is on TSN Reporters and generally a well respected journalist.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
How long before someone photoshops a two-headed mutant Eller-Gilbert ceremonial scapegoat?

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I didnt hate Gilbert at all, maybe because my expectations werent too high.
He do things Josh couldnt do like not handling the puck like a grenade and making crisp passes, and is able to play and make interesting passes in the Ozone, he s definitely not as good defensively as Josh but then again, he makes up for that offensively, and let s not act like Josh was a monster defensively, he s good at blocking shots and positionnally (which is why he was geat on the PK) but that s about it, it s like he s hard to play against in front of the net or along the boards...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Aside from the pleks pass, I thought he was easily the worst dman back there, out-of-position, scrambling, lost/confused. Personally, I thought he was very bad tonight. Not the brightest guy on the ice for sure.

Weaver was definitely worse. Gilbert made quite a few blunders. So did Markov, so did PK. Beaulieu, well he played 10min.
As I said, nobody was impressive to me. It was a very sloppy and rusty game.
But I expect things will settle in, once it does, I expect big things from Emelin.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I didnt hate Gilbert at all, maybe because my expectations werent too high.
He do things Josh couldnt do like not handling the puck like a grenade and making crisp passes, and is able to play and make interesting passes in the Ozone, he s definitely not as good defensively as Josh but then again, he makes up for that offensively, and let s not act like Josh was a monster defensively, he s good at blocking shots and positionnally (which is why he was geat on the PK) but that s about it, it s not like he s hard to play against in front of the net or along the boards...

edit sorry for the double post, chrome crashed

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How long before someone photoshops a two-headed mutant Eller-Gilbert ceremonial scapegoat?

I was thinking the same thing but on a completely different track.
Both Eller and Gilbert end up looking awkward because they eat the puck rather than try a low percentage play.
The Fans think this is horrible and that they have no vision.
Cyclops on our fourth has more... :amazed:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
BzgHesNIcAEjV4y.jpg

BzgCBrEIAAIzOXG.png

Chuckys face...troll face 10/10

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's become obvious that most Habs fans weren't happy with the Gilbert signing and there's nothing he can do to change that point of view. It's already engrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad