Habs Dump Therrien on Valentine's Day; Go Back To Their Ex (mod warning post #47)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A lot of the damage is already done, but I feel better about watching the team now at least. Unfortunately I still think the window has been damaged, and Julien's philosophy is hardly my idea of beautiful hockey, but this shows a commitment to winning I was skeptical of.
I agree. But you gotta take the good with the bad. :)

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
i wonder how Julien feels about the Habs and their embellisements now! lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who would've overwhelmed you that fits their criteria?

Your quote right there says all you need to know about why this team is stuck in mediocrity.

And I've lived through a Claude Julien coached team before, that's why I don't like this hire.

And if fitting the criteria must be part of the Habs culture, they should be developing these guys at the AHL level. They're not. That failing is on MB, too.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Happy to see him go. A couple of years late, but good riddance that this move is made.

Julien is certainly an upgrade over Therrien. Much better choice for this team and actually has a system that works. Good timing on this one.

I bet Price is going to go back to be Price. He was playing like a player who wanted the coach fired. No life in his game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah, my cat is better than Therrien.

It isn't about being better, it's about getting someone who is better and different, a coach for the new NHL.

Who, again, you can't name. It's not Muller. He hasn't done **** to this team since he joined in. He hasn't proven anything in Carolina. He might not be head coach material at all. You want a kid? Fine. But we need to bring them through the farm and clearly, this is not Lefebvre we're talking about. It takes time.

So yeah, right now, it's about being better. Why can't you think that he can't adapt to the new NHL? Cause of his record in the past years? WEll again, in the category of show me what you have, I'Ll show you a good coach, Boston didn't have a whole lot.

Julien seems to me as being extremely structured. While Therrien was riding on emotions. WE'll see how that goes with the team in place. Chances are, we STILL need some important tweaking to this team anyway.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
So,

Question for some of the fans who've walked away from this team (or not giving it your full attention) are you going to be coming back now? Does this change anything for you? I know a lot of people have quit (or come close to quitting) on the club before the year began. Are you more enthusiastic about things now? Will be you be following more closely again?

Meh, we are still not a Cup contender. I'll watch some CBC games but I'm not get centre ice anymore. Spring is coming and I'll enjoy it.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

They deserve a pulitzer

These guys are HFHabbers for sure. Legends.

1jo4mn.jpg

2 solid choices if you need a new avatar

cbc news :

leo-toast-9.w529.h352.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Those mentioning Babcock, he never was available when the Habs wanted to make a coaching change. I believe MB made an attempt to talk to him when he hired Therrien, but Babcock didn't seem interested and he re-upped with Detroit. And when he was available in 2016, MB wanted to give his coach another chance.

BTW, if this change is Molson's call then MB has no business still being the GM.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, my cat is better than Therrien.

It isn't about being better, it's about getting someone who is better and different, a coach for the new NHL.
Well, Julien had the Bruins at number one in possession when he was fired. And that was with a crap lineup. At the very least he's a decent coach.

I don't like the style either. We've had nothing but defensive coaches forever. But regardless of that he's a good coach and eons better than MT. MT was a liability for this team.

void

Jan 5, 2006
So,

Question for some of the fans who've walked away from this team (or not giving it your full attention) are you going to be coming back now? Does this change anything for you? I know a lot of people have quit (or come close to quitting) on the club before the year began. Are you more enthusiastic about things now? Will be you be following more closely again?

It's very bittersweet for me. I'm ecstatic that Michel is finally gone but I still can't get over the Subban trade. I've watched maybe 3 or 4 games this season so compared to that I'll for sure start following the team a little more to see how/if things change. But yeah... that Subban trade and how management & Molson conducted themselves last season was a very tough pill to swallow for me. It's going to take a very long time (if ever) for me to go back to loving the Habs like I used to.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who, again, you can't name. It's not Muller. He hasn't done **** to this team since he joined in. He hasn't proven anything in Carolina. He might not be head coach material at all. You want a kid? Fine. But we need to bring them through the farm and clearly, this is not Lefebvre we're talking about. It takes time.

So yeah, right now, it's about being better. Why can't you think that he can't adapt to the new NHL? Cause of his record in the past years? WEll again, in the category of show me what you have, I'Ll show you a good coach, Boston didn't have a whole lot.

Julien seems to me as being extremely structured. While Therrien was riding on emotions. WE'll see how that goes with the team in place. Chances are, we STILL need some important tweaking to this team anyway.

I said Muller for the interim of the season and you assess the options at the end of the year.

Don't get angry at me because we've failed to cultivate coaching talent. Don't forget how you felt about Julien at the end of his tenure here cause I remember it and it was the same damn thing we were hoping Therrien got fired for.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Mike Bossy said that, to him, the souring of the Price/Therrien relationship started at the Columbus game when he was getting ready to go in and replace Montoya only to be left in the hallway standing up and stretching while Montoya was being eaten alive.

I completely agree with this. The fact that a lot of the journos on twitter were actually defending that move sickened me too. None of them have ever played a team sport that is obvious. The back-up job is tough enough without being put through that embarrassment. Then against San Jose Price gets pulled after 4 when Montoya had to swallow 10. I mean, if I was in Price's shoes I'd be pissed too.

I'm sure there were a lot of veterans who were not impressed with Price being only one of them.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Those mentioning Babcock, he never was available when the Habs wanted to make a coaching change. I believe MB made an attempt to talk to him when he hired Therrien, but Babcock didn't seem interested and he re-upped with Detroit. And when he was available in 2016, MB wanted to give his coach another chance.

BTW, if this change is Molson's call then MB has no business still being the GM.

How many tens of millions extra are the Leafs paying for a similar caliber coach? 40? 50?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Is anybody in the least bit worried that Galchenyuk will get Seguin treatment?(Kept on wing)

To be fair, Boston had Bergeron & Krejci in top 2 so it's not exact same scenario.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's very bittersweet for me. I'm ecstatic that Michel is finally gone but I still can't get over the Subban trade. I've watched maybe 3 or 4 games this season so compared to that I'll for sure start following the team a little more to see how/if things change. But yeah... that Subban trade and how management & Molson conducted themselves last season was a very tough pill to swallow for me. It's going to take a very long time (if ever) for me to go back to loving the Habs like I used to.
I get that, but the trade is done and the guy who really forced him out has been canned. I feel a lot better about the team today than I did yesterday.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Also, Therrien's is actually a legitimate two-way coach. He is unlike Therrien, he was strictly a no-way coach. Therrien tried to be a defensive coach, but he was even terrible at that.

Therrien is a great defensive coach and a good offensive coach, in my opinion. His Boston team, at their prime, were probably the best two-way team in the NHL. They were dominant offensively and defensively.

He managed to get the very best out of virtually every offensively gifted player on his team. Guys like Lucic, Horton, MArchand, Krejci, Savard, Chara, Bergeron, Pasternak, etc...all thrived offensively under Julien.

I don't think that he will stifle offensive players at all, he is a little like Babcock in that sense. He will merely be demanding sense and hard-work on sides of the ice.

I actually do not like him much, I just have a large amount of respect for him. He's a great coach.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Just watch Radulov, you will love Radulov!

If it wasn't for Radulov I would have given up also after that Subban trade.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Also, Therrien's is actually a legitimate two-way coach. He is unlike Therrien, he was strictly a no-way coach. Therrien tried to be a defensive coach, but he was even terrible at that.

Therrien is a great defensive coach and a good offensive coach, in my opinion. His Boston team, at their prime, were probably the best two-way team in the NHL. They were dominant offensively and defensively.

He managed to get the very best out of virtually every offensively gifted player on his team. Guys like Lucic, Horton, MArchand, Krejci, Savard, Chara, Bergeron, Pasternak, etc...all thrived offensively under Julien.

I don't think that he will stifle offensive players at all, he is a little like Babcock in that sense. He will merely be demanding sense and hard-work on sides of the ice.

I actually do not like him much, I just have a large amount of respect for him. He's a great coach.

At some point you gotta write Julien instead of Therrien.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Is anybody in the least bit worried that Galchenyuk will get Seguin treatment?(Kept on wing)

To be fair, Boston had Bergeron & Krejci in top 2 so it's not exact same scenario.
Seguin is more talented but Galchenyuk is all business.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010

Wow. You and I share virtually the exact same thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad