Habs Dump Therrien on Valentine's Day; Go Back To Their Ex (mod warning post #47)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Why didn't we just hire the best coach available when he was available? We could have given 8 millions to Mike Babcock and it wouldn't make a dent in Geoff's pocket.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
giphy.gif

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Aw, I was going to name the thread something like "Kool & The Gang present Claude Julien's return to Montreal", but fine!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wow seriously? Who would you have wanted? Please tell me. 'Cause to say Therrien is Julien is just so far from teh truth.

I would have gone with Muller for the rest of the season.

I also wouldn't have Sylvain Lefebvre as my farm coach. I would've been developing guys like Ducharme, Bouchard, etc. in the AHL level for these opportunities.

Every. Single. One. Of. You. Made fun of Julien being a whiney, excuse driven, ref blaming clown. He got out coached by Therrien every time we played the Bruins.

Julien preaches the same systems that MT does, he subscribes to the same play management style, and we won't see much change.

Sure, Julien won a cup. He had Tim Thomas playing out of his mind, Chara as an elite defenseman, and had 3 ridiculously good lines. That team was assembled well. He doesn't have near that depth that that team had when it won.

You will all see. Hated the guy his first time around, hated him in Boston, and he will do the same thing here. Bring stale, uninspiring hockey and systems.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Proof is in the pudding. We'ill see how this coaching change affects the performance of the team. Hopefully it will be a positive change. MT is a good coach, pity it had to be on Valentine's day. If the team won't be grinding anymore, what are they going to do now? dangling?

Julien is a systems guy. Away from the puck, the Habs will use strategic positioning in the neutral zone to force turnovers for odd-men number counter attacks. With the puck, especially in the defensive zone, the Julien will implement a quick transition game based on short passes out of the defensive zone (this is what he did in Boston). When the team enters in the offensive zone, Julien has a neck of stretching the defending team across their d-zone allowing for cross-ice passive plays to pinching dmen.

Boston had a knack of opening passing lanes with the way they stretched defenders laterally in their own end.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So,

Question for some of the fans who've walked away from this team (or not giving it your full attention) are you going to be coming back now? Does this change anything for you? I know a lot of people have quit (or come close to quitting) on the club before the year began. Are you more enthusiastic about things now? Will be you be following more closely again?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So,

Question for some of the fans who've walked away from this team (or not giving it your full attention) are you going to be coming back now? Does this change anything for you? I know a lot of people have quit (or come close to quitting) on the club before the year began. Are you more enthusiastic about things now? Will be you be following more closely again?

Nope.

You can turn over a leaf, but if it's the same leaf, you get the same results.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I also wouldn't have Sylvain Lefebvre as my farm coach. I would've been developing guys like Ducharme, Bouchard, etc. in the AHL level for these opportunities.

Every. Single. One. Of. You. Made fun of Julien being a whiney, excuse driven, ref blaming clown. He got out coached by Therrien every time we played the Bruins.

Julien preaches the same systems that MT does, he subscribes to the same play management style, and we won't see much change.

Sure, Julien won a cup. He had Tim Thomas playing out of his mind, Chara as an elite defenseman, and had 3 ridiculously good lines. That team was assembled well. He doesn't have near that depth that that team had when it won.

You will all see. Hated the guy his first time around, hated him in Boston, and he will do the same thing here. Bring stale, uninspiring hockey and systems.

You mentioned Michel Therrien. I hear he's available if you don't like Julien.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't doubt his systems will be defensive. That's part of the reason I'm not thrilled with the hiring. But he's a flat out better coach than Therrien is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad