Confirmed with Link: Habs Don't Match Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet (Get 2022 1st & 3rd Round Picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
KK+Caufield may have landed the Habs Eichel. Although I think this was a dumb move by the Canes (they could have used the Cap space and picks for a high quality Rental to win a cup), I acknowledge it was very stupid asset management by the Habs.
Not really … both the owner & his wife the team President stated they wanted Eichel out of the Conference

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
So... Why did it get to the point that he could be offer-sheeted? Was it that hard to give him a good 3 million offer at the end of the season? Bergevin doesn't have a crystal ball but if the Canes were asking about him, you have to know the offer-sheet is a possibility, right? Give the kid what he asks for in a bridge deal. What's the worst that can happen... We overpay him for a couple years by a million or two? Is that sum such a pain that you can't navigate around it?

I agreed about letting him go because the contract the canes offered was just nuts and his QO would have been even crazier. But it shouldnt have gotten to that point.

Now we have a shit lottery team, an objectively worse and older center in Dvorak, and we risk losing our highest pick if we somehow finish 11th from last. Worse case Ontario. So we need to sell and tank hard so the Yotes get the Canes pick and not ours.

Bergevin's nickel-and-diming with KK had way bigger repercussions than originally thought.

We don't know what KK demands were at the time. Plenty of players remain unsigned while offer-sheet window is open.

With Danault at the time unlikely to be resigned KK knew he would be expected to step in as a 2nd C. Good leverage right there and more incentive to wait and see as Habs had no alternatives.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
We don't know what KK demands were at the time. Plenty of players remain unsigned while offer-sheet window is open.

With Danault at the time unlikely to be resigned KK knew he would be expected to step in as a 2nd C. Good leverage right there and more incentive to wait and see as Habs had no alternatives.
The 6M offer was deliberately superior to his real value so the move would tie the Habs' hands. What I understand from it is that a more reasonable deal could've been discussed with KK's agent before the start of free agency. Even if it's 4 millions a year, it's better than to lose the value in assets we did eventually.

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
He's 21 for the entirety of this season...just because he hasn't figured it out yet doesn't mean he won't. Some kids are late bloomers, he still has plenty of time to put it together.

but If he was still with us… you would probably be screaming bust or get mad everytime he plays like a chicken head… but hey grass always greener right

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
but If he was still with us… you would probably be screaming bust or get mad everytime he plays like a chicken head… but hey grass always greener right

Most likely not...only a vocal minority were actually screaming bust considering he was just 20 and was coming off an amazing playoffs last year.

Almost everyone was pro-KK and I imagine still would be this year even after this teams horrendous start.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Holy h*ll, I haven’t followed much of KK this year but man looked over at his stats, that’s awful.

Some posters were willing to die on a sword defending this dude.

oh well, I did the same for galch. We learn
I'm not even defending him. Dude is struggling mightily. The point I'm trying to make is only about absolute value.

We already know that at least one NHL team (Carolina) was ready to trade at least a late 1st for him. So he did have value. On the other hand, another GM was willing to trade a 1st+ a 3rd for Dvorak. Would both of them have the same value today? Who lost or gained value since, KK or Dvo, both?

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
And can we stop pretending other teams viewed him as a top bluechip prospect and that he was such a high value trading piece.

See guys like Nolan Patrick and Cody Glass… nobody is having #1 center dreams about them already… because they opened their eyes instead of wishing magical growth

Reactions: Ozmodiar

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I'm not even defending him. Dude is struggling mightily. The point I'm trying to make is only about absolute value.

We already know that at least one NHL team (Carolina) was ready to trade at least a late 1st for him. So he did have value. On the other hand, another GM was willing to trade a 1st+ a 3rd for Dvorak. Would both of them have the same value today? Who lost or gained value since, KK or Dvo, both?

Dvorak looks better than KK right now, which is saying very little

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
One other thing, the quotes from Waddell clearly show that the Canes barely scouted KK. He was saying that KK was playing a new position, wing, which isn’t true, he player a fair amount at the wing in MTL. He was also surprised that KK was having issues with pace.

If this wasn’t a revenge OS it seems it wasn’t very well thought out. They didn’t understand who the player was/is and gave up a first and third plus 6mm and a player friendly contract. Good on the Canes for having such a great team but this was pretty sloppy asset management.

Reactions: Toene

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
Most likely not...only a vocal minority were actually screaming bust considering he was just 20 and was coming off an amazing playoffs last year.

Almost everyone was pro-KK and I imagine still would be this year even after this teams horrendous start.

he played awful in the playoff’s… but was able to produce … every single play he did was awful then he would score a big goal… I appreciated it, but was still swearing everytime he touched the puck…

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
One other thing, the quotes from Waddell clearly show that the Canes barely scouted KK. He was saying that KK was playing a new position, wing, which isn’t true, he player a fair amount at the wing in MTL. He was also surprised that KK was having issues with pace.

If this wasn’t a revenge OS it seems it wasn’t very well thought out. They didn’t understand who the player was/is and gave up a first and third plus 6mm and a player friendly contract. Good on the Canes for having such a great team but this was pretty sloppy asset management.
I personally think it was poor asset management by both teams. The only team that gained value from all this are the Coyotes. Selling Dvorak for a 1st PLUS a 2nd is highway robbery

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
KK has played 13 games with the Canes. Here is how he performed after 13 games each year...

Year 1 with Montreal: 6 pts (2G, 4A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 14:13
Year 2 with Montreal: 3 pts (2G, 1A) in 13 GP.... average TOI: 12:43
Year 3 with Montreal: 7 pts (1G, 6A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 13:37
Year 4 with Carolina: 3 pts (2G, 1A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 12:33

Last edited:

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
KK has played 13 games with the Canes. Here is how he performed after 13 games each year...

Year 3 with Montreal: 6 pts (1G, 6A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 13:37

and he finished so strong after that

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014

Year 3 with Montreal: 6 pts (1G, 6A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 13:37
So we can bet good money that next year, he's gonna score 6 in his first 14 games? Such a consistent player. :sarcasm:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So we can bet good money that next year, he's gonna score 6 in his first 14 games? Such a consistent player. :sarcasm:

That't the pattern. ;)

They always say one of the best things coaches look for in players is to know what they will get out of them. So they know one year, he'll have 3 pts in 13 games and the next year he'll have 6 pts in 13 games.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
That't the pattern. ;)

They always say one of the best things coaches look for in players is to know what they will get out of them. So they know one year, he'll have 3 pts in 13 games and the next year he'll have 6 pts in 13 games.

It's that type of consistency that will make him a shoo-in as an NHL 4th liner. That's exactly what teams are looking for.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I'm a four goal guy. Almost there!

Kotkaniemi-1.jpg

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
they have Aho and KK as opposed to our....nothing
In this case, nothing is better than a negative, which is what Habs would have gotten in KK for the sum of money Canes paid for his contract. This still doesn't take away from the overwhelming evidence that BargainBin's an idiot (and by extension, so is Goeff Molson), but in the KK case, I prefer "nothing" over a $6M+ cap hit (but you go, Canes!)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I personally think it was poor asset management by both teams. The only team that gained value from all this are the Coyotes. Selling Dvorak for a 1st PLUS a 2nd is highway robbery
I think Dvorak will have more of an impact then the 30th OA pick. I mean he is already better then our past two 3OA selections so pretty sure we would have done worse with the picks

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Lol but no
Ok then

In this case, nothing is better than a negative, which is what Habs would have gotten in KK for the sum of money Canes paid for his contract. This still doesn't take away from the overwhelming evidence that BargainBin's an idiot (and by extension, so is Goeff Molson), but in the KK case, I prefer "nothing" over a $6M+ cap hit (but you go, Canes!)

A 6m cap hit wasn't the only option

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Year 3 with Montreal: 7 pts (1G, 6A) in 13 GP... average TOI: 13:37
I think he's playing LW. Is that correct? If he's a LWer I care not a bit about him TBH (unless he becomes Ovechkin or something).

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Imagine the hate he would've been getting here if we had matched that offer sheet.
6.1 M for 3 pts in 13 games and looking like a bust :eek:

I think his QO has to be 5 or 6 M. He better not give a "discount" to Carolina.

Reactions: canucklover123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad