Confirmed with Link: Habs Don't Match Kotkaniemi Offer Sheet (Get 2022 1st & 3rd Round Picks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
So... Why did it get to the point that he could be offer-sheeted? Was it that hard to give him a good 3 million offer at the end of the season? Bergevin doesn't have a crystal ball but if the Canes were asking about him, you have to know the offer-sheet is a possibility, right? Give the kid what he asks for in a bridge deal. What's the worst that can happen... We overpay him for a couple years by a million or two? Is that sum such a pain that you can't navigate around it?

I agreed about letting him go because the contract the canes offered was just nuts and his QO would have been even crazier. But it shouldnt have gotten to that point.

Now we have a shit lottery team, an objectively worse and older center in Dvorak, and we risk losing our highest pick if we somehow finish 11th from last. Worse case Ontario. So we need to sell and tank hard so the Yotes get the Canes pick and not ours.

Bergevin's nickel-and-diming with KK had way bigger repercussions than originally thought.

Reactions: shamrun

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So... Why did it get to the point that he could be offer-sheeted? Was it that hard to give him a good 3 million offer at the end of the season? Bergevin doesn't have a crystal ball but if the Canes were asking about him, you have to know the offer-sheet is a possibility, right? Give the kid what he asks for in a bridge deal. What's the worst that can happen... We overpay him for a couple years by a million or two? Is that sum such a pain that you can't navigate around it?

I agreed about letting him go because the contract the canes offered was just nuts and his QO would have been even crazier. But it shouldnt have gotten to that point.

Now we have a shit lottery team, an objectively worse and older center in Dvorak, and we risk losing our highest pick if we somehow finish 11th from last. Worse case Ontario. So we need to sell and tank hard so the Yotes get the Canes pick and not ours.

Bergevin's nickel-and-diming with KK had way bigger repercussions than originally thought.

Hurts losing him but let's not pretend he would have saved this season. The jury is still out on KK and Carolina definitely gives him more tools than the habs would for him to succeed in the NHL.

If he doesn't succeed in that system, he sure as hell wouldn't succeed here under Ducharme.

Too early to judge KK right now but I agree with you in the fact that Bergevin completely fumbled this, he had zero foresight.

Reactions: Corson27

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

If you want people to reply to your posts, comments like Dvorak being objectively worse make it very hard.

I’m shocked however that you have the insider knowledge to know Kotkaniemi would immediately accept a 3m deal.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

Bergevin's nickel-and-diming of KK had way bigger repercussions than originally thought.
Great post - couldn't have said it better.

Even sidestepping the offer sheet, if they were already starting to have doubts about KK (which judging by Bozovin's comments at the year end presser, they were), would it not have made more sense to not wait and instead package KK, our first round pick from the past summer's draft (which they ended up punting anyways), a second and maybe a guy like Ylonen and get a good return? With that kind of package, pretty sure we could have gotten someone better than Dvorak.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Hurts losing him but let's not pretend he would have saved this season. The jury is still out on KK and Carolina definitely gives him more tools than the habs would for him to succeed in the NHL.

If he doesn't succeed in that system, he sure as hell wouldn't succeed here under Ducharme.
I don't think he would save the season, far from it. I'm strictly speaking about value. Knowing that we will suck this year, we know that :

Young 3rd overall center + guaranteed high-pick + 2nd rounder

Is more valuable than :

25 yo middle-six center + unknown pick in the hands of Arizona + 3rd rounder

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Great post - couldn't have said it better.

Even sidestepping the offer sheet, if they were already starting to have doubts about KK (which judging by Bozovin's comments at the year end presser, they were), would it not have made sense to not wait and instead package KK, our first round pick from the past summer's draft (which they ended up punting anyways), a second and maybe a guy like Ylonen and get a good return? With that kind of package, pretty sure we could have gotten someone better than Dvorak.

KK+Caufield may have landed the Habs Eichel. Although I think this was a dumb move by the Canes (they could have used the Cap space and picks for a high quality Rental to win a cup), I acknowledge it was very stupid asset management by the Habs.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
So... Why did it get to the point that he could be offer-sheeted?
Because he's a terrible hockey player who is entitled, isn't willing to work on his flaws or the game coaches ask of him, and thinks he's much better than he is - a me first player. The right decision was made, regardless of how the Habs are currently playing or whether Dvorak ends up being worth what we have up for him. Seperate issues.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't think he would save the season, far from it. I'm strictly speaking about value. Knowing that we will suck this year, we know that :

Is more valuable than :

By "young 3rd overall center", do you mean "entitled barely 4th line calibre winger with a terrible attitude who thinks he doesn't have to improve"?

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Post mortem on this is poor drafting. KK can’t consistently keep up with the play, the Canes are learning this now. He flat out can’t keep pace with the top 6.

This wasn’t poor dev, and letting him go was the right move. But the pick sucks, because the player
kind of sucks….everything else is just noise.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Is more valuable than :

I agree when you put it that way

Reactions: Toene

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Carolina won't get the last laugh with signing KK
They sure won’t. This will go down as a lose, lose, lose. Even KK loses, 9 mins last night on the wing. Sure he gets 6mm this year but longer term earnings will be suppressed with his performance.
He needed 15-17 at C, which he would have gotten in Montreal. If he continues like he is, who is going to pay him anything more then bottom 6 mins? He is a 2mm per year player.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
i think they already have,

they have Aho and KK as opposed to our....nothing
KK is a net negative. He’s worse than a ‘nothing’ because of his cost on the cap for a cheap org like the Canes. His production right now is that of a…Pezzetta. And they gave up a first rounder. For an org that relies on draft to survive, it’s a net negative. At best.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Unless KK could have replaced Price, Weber, Edmundson, and now Hoffman, Perreault, Drouin, etc. I don't really care anymore. I care about the picks and hope they can develop into something.

I haven't watched KK but his stats do not look stellar for playing with a successful team to this point. I wonder why? Ducharme and company must still be influencing.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
He's 21 for the entirety of this season...just because he hasn't figured it out yet doesn't mean he won't. Some kids are late bloomers, he still has plenty of time to put it together.
This poster probably thinks Lafrenière is a bust. The tone of his posts reveals some weird angst I'm not willing to engage. I don't get the emotional reaction to a simple discussion on asset management. He can disagree without being despicable about it.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
He still may develop but right now he's Kost-a-lot-aniemi for 9 minutes a night.
But the one thing they can't offer sheet away from us...is the memories.

Jesperi-Kotkaniemi-Montreal-Canadiens.jpg

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Unless KK could have replaced Price, Weber, Edmundson, and now Hoffman, Perreault, Drouin, etc. I don't really care anymore. I care about the picks and hope they can develop into something.

I haven't watched KK but his stats do not look stellar for playing with a successful team to this point. I wonder why? Ducharme and company must still be influencing.
Speaking of picks. Knowing that we suck as much as we do, wouldnt it have been better to keep both our pick and the compensation one and acquire two great prospects in this deep 2022 draft?

I know hindsight is 20/20 but that's why we are the fans and MB and co are in management. They are supposed to plan ahead and make the right choices.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Holy h*ll, I haven’t followed much of KK this year but man looked over at his stats, that’s awful.

Some posters were willing to die on a sword defending this dude.

oh well, I did the same for galch. We learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot