Post-Game Talk: Habs dominate Leafs, lose in OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs seem to be climbing (or crawling) UP the ladder rather than DOWN. I expected them to be murdered in their opener against the Leafs but they emerged alive despite missing Weber.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
A few games by Domi in a Habs uniform and only one of them a regular season game and this is all we need to compare him to 6 years of Galchenyuk? To each their own.
Why are you projecting your limited viewing of Domi onto others? Did it ever occur to you that maybe another poster has watched hockey players other than Hab ones?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
There are issues to Drouin's game but he doesn't still think he is in junior. He's trying to be creative in the offensive end. Let him.
I actually like the Junior reference. He tries to do things sometimes that just doesn't work against NHL players

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For those who continue to harp on how Domi was "written off" before he got here, it's not about Domi. It's about what we had to give up to get him. Most here felt that Domi could have been had for less.

And if Galchenyuk was going to be moved, it should have been in a package to get a bona fide top line C.

Let's see how Domi responds, I'm not going to judge him either way on one game.
I don't think we had the pieces to package for a bona fide top line C. However, we really should have traded him for a top 4 LHD.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why are you projecting your limited viewing of Domi onto others? Did it ever occur to you that maybe another poster has watched hockey players other than Hab ones?

Maybe that other poster has and maybe he should have said so. And now he has. And I'm no mind-reader.

What impressed this other poster most about Domi when he was a Coyote?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe he has and maybe he should have said so. And now he has. And I'm no mind-reader.

What impressed you most about Domi when he was a Coyote?
Domi caught my eye from the time he was in juniors and especially his stint on Team Canada. His line was the best in the tournament and Max was the motor of that line. I watched many of the games with my son who is not a hockey fan but Domi caught his eye also.

Now to address your question. The only qualities that Chucky has over Domi are his shot, his release and his size. Domi excels in the other aspects of the game. He is more defensively aware, his skating is head and shoulders better, especially his edges, his vision is excellent, his IQ superior and although he may not be a Kane or a Crosby his stick handling is very very good. He also understands the game better than Chucky. And he is a terrific passer.

Having said all that, I love both players. I think they both can be dynamic. I didn't want to trade Chucky but I was ecstatic to get Domi. I was responding to a poster who claimed that Chucky was the more skilled player. I disagreed. I think Domi has more good tools in his box but Galchenyuk has one tool that is elite. If you look at their ppg they're almost identical - Domi leads by the slightest of fractions. Domi is the playmaker and Chucky is the goal scorer.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Domi caught my eye from the time he was in juniors and especially his stint on Team Canada. His line was the best in the tournament and Max was the motor of that line. I watched many of the games with my son who is not a hockey fan but Domi caught his eye also.

Now to address your question. The only qualities that Chucky has over Domi are his shot, his release and his size. Domi excels in the other aspects of the game. He is more defensively aware, his skating is head and shoulders better, especially his edges, his vision is excellent, his IQ superior and although he may not be a Kane or a Crosby his stick handling is very very good. He also understands the game better than Chucky. And he is a terrific passer.

Having said all that, I love both players. I think they both can be dynamic. I didn't want to trade Chucky but I was ecstatic to get Domi. I was responding to a poster who claimed that Chucky was the more skilled player. I disagreed. I think Domi has more good tools in his box but Galchenyuk has one tool that is elite. If you look at their ppg they're almost identical - Domi leads by the slightest of fractions. Domi is the playmaker and Chucky is the goal scorer.

So your observations about Domi are from his TC days? Fair enough, however, if Galchenyuk's skills were so deficient, how did the Habs select him so high in his draft year? Being a good player on the world stage is an indication of what you can do against your peers, however, replicating it at the NHL level is another story. There are a lot of WJC players who can't transition or who do so without the same level of success.

The PPG argument is always used by Domi proponents. Reality is, playmakers are abundant, goal-scorers are the rare asset. Not all points are created the same.

Galchenyuk has his shortcomings however, he has a track record and did score 30 goals. And has the ability to score. Domi is more of a playmaker and last I checked, this team finished 29th in goals last year. I don't know that he fills a need on this team.

Also, he wasn't a full time center as a Coyote, only partially used there. I don't know how he'll fare at center but am not convinced he ends up there permanently.

I don't dislike Domi. I dislike the idea that Galchenyuk was given up for him.

Reactions: PaulD

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So your observations about Domi are from his TC days? Fair enough, however, if Galchenyuk's skills were so deficient, how did the Habs select him so high in his draft year? Being a good player on the world stage is an indication of what you can do against your peers, however, replicating it at the NHL level is another story. There are a lot of WJC players who can't transition or who do so without the same level of success.

You misread what I wrote. My observations are not just from his TC days. He caught my eye in juniors and I followed him since - even when he was with the Yotes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You misread what I wrote. My observations are not just from his TC days. He caught my eye in juniors and I followed him since - even when he was with the Yotes.

Same observation applies to his junior days.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I admit - they're better than I thought they were going to be. That game was better than all games the Habs played last season combined. Still think they're way too small but they are pretty fast and have skill. I just might watch a few games this year... maybe.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The point is it doesn't matter. Barely won is still a win for them. They can lose 1 out of 3 games and still achieve what they want. They are using the regular season as practice for the playoffs, that's what I mean by practice skate.
Yes and they sure need practice for play offs. Whats it been ? 15 years since they won a round.

I think Johnny Bower was in net that last time they won a round.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He will look like a decent player on a bad Canadiens team.

I know why the habs did not want Chucky. Why didnt Coyotes keep Domi? Because he cant score and they need scoring. Sound familiar?

Odd trade. Domi does not really address a need .

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I know why the habs did not want Chucky. Why didnt Coyotes keep Domi? Because he cant score and they need scoring. Sound familiar?

The fact that one team trades a player is proof of nothing. Boston traded Seguin & Thornton. Oilers traded Gretzky. Sens traded Karlsson. Blue Jackets left unprotected another Karlsson. Panthers left unprotected Marchessault.

Most of this forum disdains MB and I share that disdain but everything he does is not terrible. I've been keeping track of Domi for 6 years. In those years the time he spent in Arizona did not live up to his junior years. That could mean he doesn't have it to make it in the NHL. It could also mean that their coaching and management staff doesn't have what it takes to work in the NHL. Sound familiar?

Last night the Habs scored two goals. Domi had primary assist on both. You're really picking a bad night to try to make your case. How about you wait when he has a lousy game. From my six years of watching him this is the Domi I imagined coming here.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I expected Sportsnet to be very pro Leafs last night even for a National game but it just seemed way over the top last night and to the point of being quite sickening to listen to. The Habs played a very strong game last night and gave the Leafs all they could handle but they were pretty much an afterthought with the entire Sportsnet crew the entire game.

I don't think Craig Simpson even realized the Leafs were playing the Habs until sometime late in the 3rd period. The Habs did get a brief mention in the 2nd int when the lovefest for Matthews and Tavares stopped for a second and once again from Friedman sometime later.

You cannot blame these guys. The Leafs are the crown jewel of Canadian hockey as far as any networks and they have been uber starved for anything ressembling great hockey teams in Toronto in forever. They have Mathews, Marner, Tavares.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It just looks like Bergevin was going to trade Galchenyuk by hook or by crook and Domi is the best offer he got or valued. The timing was not the best but I suppose he couldn't possibly have begun this season with locker room attitude downers like Galchenyuk and Pax.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Galchenyuk turned into a rockstar, along with all the usual trappings. I can't help but think that marred his development. Hard to compete at this level while doing that kinda crap. Only The Flower was talented enough to still dominate under a haze of cigarette smoke and other "stuff".

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

The PPG argument is always used by Domi proponents. Reality is, playmakers are abundant, goal-scorers are the rare asset. Not all points are created the same.

Galchenyuk has his shortcomings however, he has a track record and did score 30 goals. And has the ability to score. Domi is more of a playmaker and last I checked, this team finished 29th in goals last year. I don't know that he fills a need on this team.

Also, he wasn't a full time center as a Coyote, only partially used there. I don't know how he'll fare at center but am not convinced he ends up there permanently.

Galch is a heartless whiner who runs to his daddy at every chance.domi has balls .

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Yes he does address a need .heart skill and speed .we need that.boy those coyotes looked great last night.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Hows galch doin tbese days?ya he looked great last night.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hows galch doin tbese days?ya he looked great last night.

How was Domi doing during the pre-season? Ya he looked good sucker punching his opponent.

Maybe you didn't see that. Like that "m" missing in your name.

Keep on sniping, you've shot yourself in the foot repeatedly.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes he does address a need .heart skill and speed .we need that.boy those coyotes looked great last night.

Just like your punctuation addresses a need.

Am I doing this right?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Heart , skill and speed is that new or did he have that last season when he potted all 5 of his goals?

The kid is alright. Bottom feeding team excited about acquiring him. I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad