Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Rags at MSG

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Monty is fine for this team right now but as an actual number 1 moving forward???
Seems like something Leafs would do.
Let's get someone with higher upside and more consistent by the time we are ready to contend please. He has the odd game like today where he really shines and may have a good career as a back up but he is not a true number 1. Goalies take longer to develop but he's already turning 27 this year.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lets see how much longer McDavid is willing to be an entertaining hockey player in Edmonton. Great players want to create a legacy and winning the cup cements it. Look at Ovechkin as an example, lighting the league on fire and filling seats in every arena but there were always questions about him before he finally won a cup, and even though he is going to be the all-time goal scoring leader, the cup will probably be his biggest achievement. It is good for the fans to have these players to watch but you'd have to think that the players want more.
From a player’s perspective, you are correct. The top level guys are super competitive. I was merely looking at it from a fan’s perspective. You get a generational player on your team, you have a focal point and get the hope that eventually the team will figure out how to win.

Hence, the entertainment factor offered by that player, is a win.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Has shown way more NHL promise than Primeau has. Im hoping Primeau gets at least one look to see if he's made any progress but Monty has really shown a lot of growth this year.
I hate how much shit he gets on here. Guy plays his heart out behind one of the worst defenses in the league. He's inconsistent, but he's more than capable of being a solid backup if not more.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I hate how much shit he gets on here. Guy plays his heart out behind one of the worst defenses in the league. He's inconsistent, but he's more than capable of being a solid backup if not more.
He was signed to suck. He's very clearly a placeholder. So absolutely, people are going to be mad when a placeholder starts robbing this team of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov odds.

Primeau also carves out his career as an NHL backup at best.

Reactions: ReHabs and Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He was signed to suck. He's very clearly a placeholder. So absolutely, people are going to be mad when a placeholder starts robbing this team of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov odds.
Last time you told me he's not an NHLer. There's a difference between being a Vezina caliber goalie and a solid backup which is what Monty is. We are still a bottom 10 team, finishing bottom 3 was always delusional thinking. Habs could have brought a washed up vet to suck but went with the young guy who despite being inconsistent showed solid things.

Reactions: viceroy

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Last time you told me he's not an NHLer. There's a difference between being a Vezina caliber goalie and a solid backup which is what Monty is. We are still a bottom 10 team, finishing bottom 3 was always delusional thinking. Habs could have brought a washed up vet to suck but went with the young guy who despite being inconsistent showed solid things.
He didn't show solid things last year though. He was dogshit. Forget holding him to Vezina standards, he's barely a passable backup who has no future with this team and very little to none in the NHL.

Want to look at a goalie playing behind a dogshit defense that shows he's an NHLer, look at Karel Vejmelka. Monty's only good for being good 1 in 5 games. Just enough to jeopardize a chance at a top 5 pick. FFS he's not even the starter for this dogshit team.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You don't want them to lose every game though. Winning some games is good for their confidence. Our issue is the younger guys are ahead of where they should be. There have been nights where we had 5 rookies on D lol, they should be much worse but they continue to impress. Barron is even looking much better than he was last time around, Ylonen looks like a veteran NHLer lol, so what do we do?
I'm super impressed with the job Robidas is doing. Too bad Burrows didn't pan out the same way. One is gold the other...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Anything outside of the top 10 will be a massive failure, IMO.

There was a time where i thought maybe the Habs would pick outside of the top 10, as unbelievable as that would have been.

But as injuries have mounted, and the season has wore on, I'm quite confident once again that the pick will be inside the 10 comfortably.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
There was a time where i thought maybe the Habs would pick outside of the top 10, as unbelievable as that would have been.

But as injuries have mounted, and the season has wore on, I'm quite confident once again that the pick will be inside the 10 comfortably.

With every meaningless 2 points we gain, part of me dies inside knowing the difference between drafting 4th vs 9th is huge...

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
From being called Montemblow to "hey maybe this guy is a starter in the NHL!"

He has 17 games. 17.

He has been alright but seriously? I remember when people said Halak couldn't be a 1st because he couldn't handle a full season. Come on!

Last edited:

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
In french we have a dicton that says " il faut battre son frère tandis qu'il est chaud"

Sorry but there's no way to translate this brilliant sentence in english
Really rough schoolboy french attempt - "you should batter your brother while he is hot"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad