Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the Jets in OT

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm just excited that they are all like 22 year olds. And playing decently on the individual scale.

Team D is another story but that's not all on the Dmen it has alot to do with the forwards and coaching

Matheson just plays too much
It's not that he plays too much, he should be getting the most ice time as a D that's for sure, but situations like last night, now I think we've seen 3 or 4 times in the past few games of a 4 on 3 pp either in regulation or even OT against the penguins, give Barron or Guhle that ice time and since were at it give Slaf that slot instead of Money as well

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If I had the technical video editing ability, I would compile a full Youtube video of Mike Matheson shifts every single game and just post them. I wouldn't even point out "look at this mistake, look at this blunder" I would just post it and let it speak for itself.

The guy personifies "trying to do too much" as a hockey player. He picks the least simple route every time. He tries to skate himself out of every single situation when a simple pass or chip up the boards would do.

I'm not saying he's useless or completely terrible or anything like that. He's made some amazing offensive plays and has scored some big goals for us this season. But I'm seeing posters say "He's not that bad defensively" or "he's just being used wrong" and I think that's just not true. He is who he is, which is terrible defensively and above average offensively.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
It may not amount to an actual cup in the end, but I like how this team is being built. I don't remember a Habs team with this much fight in the them since I started watching hockey seriously in the 2000s. Yeah, they are not the most talented, but they play hard and fast.

Sprinkle a bit more grit and especially an elite forward or two and we will become a major contender for years.

I may be wrong here, but from what I am seeing when I do have the time to watch some games, is a team absolutely built for the playoffs with a bunch of guys that are absolutely painful and annoying to play against.

I like it, I like it a lot. This is getting close to the type of Hockey that I enjoy the most.

Edit: I do realize that we are more than a couple pieces away for a real contender, but I can see the dough cooking just right :laugh:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Again, you are sagely preaching patience. In today’s world, where many people’s term of reference is: what have you done for me in the last eight minutes? it may well be a vain plea and expectation. I usually just ignore that noise like some here almost assuredly dismiss my random musings.
8 minutes? You sure do like giving 'em a lot of rope ;)

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
It may not amount to an actual cup in the end, but I like how this team is being built. I don't remember a Habs team with this much fight in the them since I started watching hockey seriously in the 2000s. Yeah, they are not the most talented, but they play hard and fast.

Sprinkle a bit more grit and especially an elite forward or two and we will become a major contender for years.

I may be wrong here, but from what I am seeing when I do have the time to watch some games, is a team absolutely built for the playoffs with a bunch of guys that are absolutely painful and annoying to play against.

I like it, I like it a lot. This is getting close to the type of Hockey that I enjoy the most.

Edit: I do realize that we are more than a couple pieces away for a real contender, but I can see the dough cooking just right :laugh:
Dach and Newhook getting hurt really threw a lot of things off for this season. On the one hand, you get Slaf on the top line and getting more opportunities (which you probably don't get otherwise). On the other, you probably get a more balanced line up and a better assessment of where the team is at and what our true needs are.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I didn't watch the game, but if I was only reading LaPresse+ (this morning) for my habs game info, my impression would be that Slafkovksy played a bad game.

He was impactful and very engaged physically but still killed some plays or made poor decisions from time to time.

He’s getting reps and improving so it’s really a glass half full / empty.

Reactions: morhilane

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not only is Matheson is a tire fire in his own end and yes he makes some decent forays offensively but he makes far more mistakes per capita.
If I can use that term. More than anyone one except perhaps Barron.
I count his poor decision making in the Ozone as well.
Terrible shot selection telegraphed passes missing or not seeing wide open players all these things add up.
The thing is what Matheson is or isn't doing has no bearing on what Struble has accomplished NONE.
When Struble starts making bad decisions I'll be the first to admit it but that just isn't the case right now in any aspect of his game.

When Struble starts playing 25+ minutes a night every night, maybe you’d have a point. Mistakes are guaranteed.

I feel like you’ve just glossed over my point so it’s not very interesting to discuss how a guy looks good for the 12 minutes he’s on the ice.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I don't get the criticism of Mike Matheson. He may not be Rod Langway defensively but he is asked to eat 25+ minutes per night and he does a pretty damn good job.
He has never played #1 D type of minutes and I appreciate what he brings.

As far as Barron and his whole 74 games of NHL experience folks need to not be so hard on him as well.
Yes he has some challenges at times with his defensive game but can we at least allow him to develop a bit more before hammering him at every turn?
He was the 7th D when the year started and now he plays 20+ minutes per night. Also he is barely 22.
Exactly

Reactions: HabbyGuy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I didn't watch the game, but if I was only reading LaPresse+ (this morning) for my habs game info, my impression would be that Slafkovksy played a bad game.
The Suzuki line had a difficult game, as someone posted Caufield’s lack of defensive acumen is getting that line trapped in their zone for long periods of time & opposing teams have figured out Caufield is the weak link & trying to force the puck on his side to maximize possession time

Last edited:

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
The Suzuki line had a difficult game, as someone posted Caufield’s lack of defensive acumen in getting that line trapped in their zone for long periods of time & opposing teams have figured out Caufield is the weak link & trying to force the puck on his side to maximize possession time
Caulfield has had a rough season so far away from the puck. He's not moving his feet nearly enough and trying to psychically battle along the boards and that's not going to work. He needs to use his quickness and stick handling ability to win the battles. Far too many plays are dying with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I understand the concerns, I believe we need some top level offensive talent the kind you usually can only get from drafting high. But it's just difficult for me to fault a team for playing hard, especially a young one..

Them learning how to win also reaps it's own rewards.

Maybe if we develop enough winners Hughes can trade for the help we need from a position of strength.

I dunno, I still thinks it's far too early to see entirely where this team is ultimately headed.

I just know after decades, we're finally moving in a better direction.
If we want that elite scoring forward, I don’t know that you can get him if he’s not drafted. Most teams tend to hold on to that type of player.

Maybe we can win without one?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It was a decent game last night, we didn't get pushed around and the young guys played well. Am I the only one who thinks that these guys have their best games on the road? I don't know what the home record is vs away but it just looks like they play looser on the road.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I found the biggest issue was that the Jets completed passes better than the habs. I started watching late so score effects could be s factor.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It was a decent game last night, we didn't get pushed around and the young guys played well. Am I the only one who thinks that these guys have their best games on the road? I don't know what the home record is vs away but it just looks like they play looser on the road.
I think many of the vets are best suited to play vs bigger teams who play a board battle game vs fast flowing pond hockey types.

Armia & Gallagher were very effective

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Habs are 7-4-2 in away games vs 7-9-2 at home this season. I know pre-Covid, the Habs having a better record on the road than at home was common as well.

They might feel more pressure to win at home, but it just add more pressure which leads to mistakes/etc.

Reactions: OldCraig71

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I found the biggest issue was that the Jets completed passes better than the habs. I started watching late so score effects could be s factor.
The fourth line doesn’t have the talent to complete passes.

I think it will help to get out from under the injuries with RHP and Newhook back.

Reactions: BLONG7

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I like winning over losing and these wins will surely make the amiable pro tankers all the more appealing.

This rendition of the team makes David Copperfield proud, yet he still doesn't know how its being done. lol

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If we want that elite scoring forward, I don’t know that you can get him if he’s not drafted. Most teams tend to hold on to that type of player.

Maybe we can win without one?
Scoring by committee.............maybe? Bruins, in 2011 did it.
Top scoring forward, had 65pts? Something like that................

Although that was then........................elite talent has to be drafted, or at least found via trade when young, and potential gets missed by the GM.

The fourth line doesn’t have the talent to complete passes.

I think it will help to get out from under the injuries with RHP and Newhook back.
Ylonen has been sent to that line.............sad.

Reactions: Runner77

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Habs are 7-4-2 in away games vs 7-9-2 at home this season. I know pre-Covid, the Habs having a better record on the road than at home was common as well.

They might feel more pressure to win at home, but it just add more pressure which leads to mistakes/etc.
Thanks for the info. For the most part I see a better team on the road and my preference is to watch road games and that goes back to our rivalry with the Bruins, it was always more fun to watch the Habs beat the Bruins in the Gaaden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad